Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a Voice Over Artist

• 29-01-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi All.
    Due to this wee blip in the economy I've been forced to become a little more versatile when it comes to making money. I am considering becoming a voice over artist and was wondering if any one out there had some tips or advice they could give me?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

www.radiodaddy.com
    www.voicedaddy.com
    www.voices.com

great places for info!! you can even do a few freebies for people just to get a feel for it.. get yerself a nice condenser mic and come software like adobe audition, there is a few VO tutorials on you tube to show you how to produce a good sound using compressor effects and such..

all the best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 f.daly

Thanks for the sites. the youtube tutorials are especially helpfull.
    I was planning to go to a sound studio and get an sound engineer who's recorded V.O demos before. He could add in sound effects and music a lot better than I could. Do you do voice overs your self?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

f.daly wrote: »
    Thanks for the sites. the youtube tutorials are especially helpfull.
    I was planning to go to a sound studio and get an sound engineer who's recorded V.O demos before. He could add in sound effects and music a lot better than I could. Do you do voice overs your self?

I wouldn't be too concerned about effects/music etc.
    If you're planning on supplying v/o's to stations, they mostly have the facilities to add these themselves and only need the dry read. It's the quality of your voice and the ability to read a script clearly thats important.
    As a v/o artiste, its not your job to supply a finished product. Production engineers are there for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    As a v/o artiste, its not your job to supply a finished product. Production engineers are there for that job.

I'll be onto my Union rep :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

LarWright wrote: »
    I'll be onto my Union rep :):):)

LOL.
    You know what I mean tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

With the software and a good microphone...you would want to be willing to spend a fair amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would also need to be able to say "Burguhlers" in a menacing tone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Hi All.
    Due to this wee blip in the economy I've been forced to become a little more versatile when it comes to making money. I am considering becoming a voice over artist and was wondering if any one out there had some tips or advice they could give me?
    Thanks

Here you go take a listen here:

http://podcasts.voices.com/voiceoverexperts/2008/11/voice_over_experts_episode_69.html

I hope that this helps you.

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Most if not all V/O artists have acting training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

The majority of Voicebank members do yes.

Then there's a whole load of radio presenters who are cheaper to use and get plenty of VO work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Here you go take a listen here:

http://podcasts.voices.com/voiceoverexperts/2008/11/voice_over_experts_episode_69.html

I hope that this helps you.

E.

That was a fairly shameless bit of self publicity there young Enda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Declan Thyme

Why do they have transcripts of what you're saying on the link? Are you that hard to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hi All.
    Thanks
    An absoloute waste of time imho, Phelim Drew seems to have a monopoly on the Irish market :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Sizzler wrote: »
    An absoloute waste of time imho, Phelim Drew seems to have a monopoly on the Irish market :rolleyes:

Morgan Jones has his paw in a good few pies aswell!! actually a very nice bloke met him once, can do amazing things with his pipes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Sizzler wrote: »

and Jonathon Ryan, he's everywhere! shocking nice fella though!

Advertisement