Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the milking end? New Dime Amp..

Options
  • 29-01-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Just after finding this out from flicking through blabbermouth, a Dean Dime Amp...

I for one am not impressed. Deans 32 or so signture guitars(and 2 signiture basses for that matter) youd think they would just let the guys name rest in peace. But now there raping his corpse even more bringing out a series of amps he had NOTHING to do with whatsoever.

If i didnt already think that the newer dean guitars were plywood "toy" guitars this would totally put me of them personally. What do other people think of this latest cash in?

Edit. Just found out dean are launcing a new pickup line and guess who of course has a signiture pickup from beyond the grave....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It'll end as soon as his girlfriend and family stop taking the money for use of his name.

Plus, in fairness, Darrell was an oul hooo-er for putting his name on all sorts of ****e while he was alive. It's not like he probably wouldn't be endorsing this crap if he were around today.

I think you're maybe seeing this from a contrasting culture perspective. Over here people can be reluctant to whore themselves out in the murky world of product endorsement. In the US, this kind of thing happens all the time. Alive or dead, Darrell is a valuable endorser of any guitar related product. At the time of his death you could barely turn ten pages of any guitar magazine without seeing him pimping some piece of crap or other, be it amps, pedals, guitars, clothing, whatever. This is just an extension of that, perhaps his family see it as keeping his memory and legacy alive and also get some nice $$$ out of it. In the US, it's not seen as a bad thing to be clearly out for cash like it is over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Doctor J wrote: »
    It'll end as soon as his girlfriend and family stop taking the money for use of his name.

Plus, in fairness, Darrell was an oul hooo-er for putting his name on all sorts of ****e while he was alive. It's not like he probably wouldn't be endorsing this crap if he were around today.

Which is never. It'll never end as long as people are willing to buy into that crap.
    Dimebag was nearly as bad as Dave Mustaine. They switched their endorsements more than I've had hot dinners. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ah now il agree he was terrible for endorsing stuff, but he never really endorsed crap untill after he died and even the expensive Dime ML's build quality went to muck.

Gotta agree with the dave mustaine comment though. I was reading an article there cant for the life of me remember where where he said that he prefrerred his signiture esp but switched to dean purely for buisness reasons. Now thats selling out.(but il still be at priest feast to see megadeth :) )

Show me one song where he used the Dime Distortion as the main sound ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The thing which really worries me is how the amp actually sounds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

One guy who doesn't appear to have made all these "post mortem" endorsements was Kurt Cobain. Any idea why? Did his estate refuse the rights?

In Dime's defence, while he was alive he seemed very much the kind of guy that would think "f*ck it, if some guy wants to give me loads of cash for posing for a photo then why not" just like anyone of the rest of us I'd imagine. I'm sure he's up there somewhere laughing his ass off and glad to see his family or ex guitar tech make some money, and why not?

I personally wouldn't have any sympathy for some idiot who goes out and buys some piece of sh*t bit of gear because a dead guys picture/signature, who never even saw the product, is stuck on the box. Anyone who can make money of these kind of retards (and there seems to be plenty in the states particularily), well...more power to them I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Kurt had only one signature I believe, the Fender Jagstang. I'm not sure if Fender are still making it but they made it for a couple of years after his death. It was as he designed it, nothing different.

Dord wrote: »
    Kurt had only one signature I believe, the Fender Jagstang. I'm not sure if Fender are still making it but they made it for a couple of years after his death. It was as he designed it, nothing different.
    They did a rerelease a few years back too but only in a limited run, i think it was for his 10 year anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

Eh' any fan should know which gear he really used anyway.

Darkstrike wrote: »
    Eh' any fan should know which gear he really used anyway.
    Yup, thats true. I just think the milking of his name at this stage is shameless!!

One thing to profit from things he signed on for before he passed away, but another to have new endorsements from beyond the grave.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote: »
    Yup, thats true. I just think the milking of his name at this stage is shameless!!

One thing to profit from things he signed on for before he passed away, but another to have new endorsements from beyond the grave.
    True that, those Dean amps are just, :pac:(there us no smiley for ashamed).

But they do it with everyone, Jaco Pastorius would be a good example. And his was a standard model Fender.

Pile of Hendrix crap out now......

Etc.

Woah, woah! One sec.

I just listened to the vid, god, not only does it soud awful, it does not sound like Dime.

Woah, woah! One sec.

I just listened to the vid, god, not only does it soud awful, it does not sound like Dime.
    Yup, if the sound from that vid is to be believed iv heard better from behringer amps!!

Yup, if the sound from that vid is to be believed iv heard better from behringer amps!!

Oh no you di'int!:mad:

My Beheringer sounds far far better!:)
    Seriously, it actually sounds *good* whatever happened, lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Dord wrote: »
    Actually, there's also signature cobain converse!!. Aparantly, even dead grungers like aternative footwear :pac:.

Woah, woah! One sec.

Agreed. That's one of the worst sounding non-budget tube amps i've ever heard. I'd take just about anything over that piece of crap. Something else i noticed, why the hell did dean pick such a crap guitarist to demo their gear!! :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The strangest way that dean have sodomized dimebags corpse that i have seen are these 'dimebag signature' flying V's:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have never seen any other than ML shaped guitars in dimebags adequate hands ever. Has anyone ever seen him play a V?

The strangest way that dean have sodomized dimebags corpse that i have seen are these 'dimebag signature' flying V's:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I have never seen any other than ML shaped guitars in dimebags adequate hands ever. Has anyone ever seen him play a V?

I have, it was a Washburn, along with anothe signature Washburn, and I believe he had one of Zakk Wyldes Bullseye Gibsons, but didn't gig it.

But if you mean the Razorback V's they were on the original sketches Dime done, along with the ML Razorback.

gimme some money

Best tag ever, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I have, it was a Washburn, along with anothe signature Washburn, and I believe he had one of Zakk Wyldes Bullseye Gibsons, but didn't gig it.

But if you mean the Razorback V's they were on the original sketches Dime done, along with the ML Razorback.

I stand corrected.

I really refer the MLs with the more rounder edges rather than these abortion dimebag ML razorbacks.
    They have more class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That amp sounds SOOOOOO bad.

Agreed. That's one of the worst sounding non-budget tube amps i've ever heard. I'd take just about anything over that piece of crap. Something else i noticed, why the hell did dean pick such a crap guitarist to demo their gear!! :confused:.
    Actually there solid state amps at a cheap(ish) price.

And the guitar player is dimes guitar tech, youd think hed be able to play the stuff but apparently hes a tech for a reason..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The thing I dont get is.. Why are they replicating he's tone when dime cant even play it?

Normally signature amps are what the artist will use in current gig/recording equipment set ups.

They are wasting so much money making that amp. Sounds even worse in that video.

Just bear in mind nothing comes out with his name on it without his family's approval. At some point, an official of his estate tried that amp, saw the cheque, and thought "Yeah, Darrell would put his name on that."

So I don't see the problem.

I mean, no-one gives a ****e about the many, many different Randy Rhoads Jackson V's which have emerged since 1982, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    The thing I dont get is.. Why are they replicating he's tone when dime cant even play it?

In the end it doesn't matter, coz no one will ever be able to play his stuff like him and sound like him. This is just a gimmick that will fade away like all things Dime & Jimi et al. - except their legacies, of course. All I got from that video was a bimbo "interviewing" two hillbillies:

"So, like, that was like, totally amazing and stuff?"
    "Yeah, it totally rawked and it's like so cool, it's like OMG"
    "Like, yeah, totally, for me it's just like, wow, right?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I doesn't sound anything like dimes tone at all though, well at least not the way its set up in that video, when i think of time, i think crushing diistortion and scooped mids; When i listened to this video, i heard crappy distortion and high mids!!?

I hate this, they should not be aloud put his name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Apt that they buried him in a kiss coffin.

Actually there solid state amps at a cheap(ish) price.

And the guitar player is dimes guitar tech, youd think hed be able to play the stuff but apparently hes a tech for a reason..
    Ah,sorry. I was under the impression that these were supposed to be fairly high-end dean tube amps.

I guess i'm a little less shocked,but it still doesnt change the fact that they are in no way related to dimebag, or good tone in general.

Advertisement