Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikki Hayes, 2fm

Options
  • 29-01-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

Before anyone says "If you don't like her, then don't listen"....I don't have a choice! Our radio in work is on all day and my boss' choice of station is 2fm :)

I know people have their qualms with different presenters on 2fm; I've seen many posts both here and on Radiowaves (where I sometimes lurk, never post) slating the likes of Gerry Ryan and Rick O'Shea, however Nikki Hayes seems to largely slip under the radar. Is it just me then??? I really can't stand her! Her faux-chirpy personality and self-involved chatter is just so annoying, I actually cringe sometimes when she's talking to the callers.

Out of interest (nosiness) about 2 months ago, I went onto her bebo page (which she mentions about 7 times an hour) and I was astonished at her blogs. She writes regularly about being depressed, the body issues she has had her whole life, loads of REALLY personal stuff. Fair enough, some people might find it therapeutic to write stuff like this on a blog but I think it's just a bit too much to have on your public bebo page if your in the public eye. She also had some OTT rants about things that were going on in the news and posted a poem she wrote for Baby P.

Ironically enough, just a couple of days before I looked at her page she had posted a blog saying maybe she should stop being so impassioned while blogging, because a lot of people read her blog and mightn't agree with her views. She then goes on to contradict herself in the same blog by saying that's just her and she shoots from the hip! Most of the comments left underneath were along the lines of "Plz dnt change bbz, u rite wut u b3lieve in" but a couple of people commented that it was a bit unprofessional. She then went on to say that her page is labelled as saying "This is my personal page and nothing to do with RTE," which is fair enough....but then why have "nikkihayes2fM" at the top of your page, and why advertise your bebo page everyday on your show?! Does anyone else think this IS quite unprofessional carry on for someone who's been a dj as long as her??

Sorry for the long rant...be gentle :o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Didn't she get the crap kicked out of her a while ago? Disgruntled listener perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yeah I've seen her Bebo page. Slightly strange for someone a bit 'famous' to be putting out all personal stuff tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I have nothing personnel against the woman either but I think that you can't blame her soley for her show's output. Music all over the place, links very untidy at times and lacking substinance.
    When you compare how Jenny Greene has progressed she's really knuckled down and you can hear the work in her links when she's on air, Jenny never struggles. Do they do any air-checks at Montrose or are they left to their own devices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not a fan of following "celebs" personal stuff myself -who cares HOW desperate Paris Hilton is to have a "new best friend".....but all those stupid "celeb" magazines, tabloids and gossip-based "entertainment" channels and TV shows wouldn't sell if SOMEONE wasn't.....

And in that context - short of doing the world a favour and shooting the tabloid owners and paparazzi along with a compulsory lobotomy and castration for the idiots who buy and watch that crap - it's probably better to say things yourself than have the wannabe tabloid "journos" making stuff up.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bbability wrote: »
    I have nothing personnel against the woman either but I think that you can't blame her soley for her show's output. Music all over the place, links very untidy at times and lacking substinance.
    When you compare how Jenny Greene has progressed she's really knuckled down and you can hear the work in her links when she's on air, Jenny never struggles. Do they do any air-checks at Montrose or are they left to their own devices?

Funny you should say that, because today on her show she announced that the All Request Lunch would have a brand new format starting on Monday. Strangely enough, she said there's going to be more vocal input from Cormac Battle :confused: Doesn't he have his own show?? Anyway hopefully the new format will be tidier.

I agree with you about Jenny Greene, she's one of the most professional sounding djs on 2fm and by far my favourite to listen to. I'd love her to have a weekday slot. It was great when she was filling in for Nikki after the "incident"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

More vocal input....I thought the talk was to be toned down in favour of more music?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah I thought so too. This is what it says on her blog:

"NEW SHOW

:D:D

THE ALL REQUEST LUNCH is getting a make over and it all kicks off this Monday, Feb 2nd

What's new???? :O

More from YOU
    More from CORMAC (yay)
    More PRIZES
    Bigger PRIZES
    New COMPETITIONS

ITS THE ALL NEW AND REFRESHED ALL REQUEST LUNCH 12-2:30PM WEEKDAYS ON 2FM

WITH ME & my LOVELY BEEATCH CORMAC XXXX"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I took a look at the blog just now and I'm a bit flabbergasted. I agree with the OP - it's unprofessional of her to be posting some of the material she's posting on the Bebo page. She seems to be a somewhat troubled and self-obsessed young woman who might be better off going for a chat with a councellor than to vent on a Bebo page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Why is it unprofessional?! Is Bebo belonging to 2fm now?

just a thought!
    And Cormac is one of the producers on nikki's show now prob why he's getting more vocal input?! Just a guess!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

petals wrote: »
    Why is it unprofessional?! Is Bebo belonging to 2fm now?

No, I believe what the previous poster was saying is that it's unprofessional for quite the opposite reason. Bebo and 2fm are two completely different entities, yet listening to Nikki Hayes, you would perhaps think that it was a sub-division of 2fm's publicity department.

If I were in H.R. at 2fm, I think I'd ask her to either

a) stop with the whole "long dark night of the soul" shít on her plugged-to-bejaysus bebo page aimed at tweens and teenagers,
    b) stop plugging her personal page on the nation radio station, or at the very least,
    c) change the title from Nikkihayes2fm or whatever, so that people who go to actually read her self publicised personal problems don't assume her mental condition updates are sanctioned by Rté by virtue of its title.

Her constant (and by god it is constant) plugging of her bebo page on 2fm would lead one to believe that it's full of the same harmless inane twitter that appeals to the same westlife and Katie perry fans that her show attracts.
    However, the blog itself is at times quite inappropriate and needy, and the sudden juxtaposition of the two personalities is somewhat disturbing, and yes, could be perceived as unprofessional.

I can see that you're something of a fan of Nikki Hayes, but I don't think he was picking adjectives out of thin air to abuse her with.

• Advertisement

No, I believe what the previous poster was saying is that it's unprofessional for quite the opposite reason. Bebo and 2fm are two completely different entities, yet listening to Nikki Hayes, you would perhaps think that it was a sub-division of 2fm's publicity department.

If I were in H.R. at 2fm, I think I'd ask her to either

a) stop with the whole "long dark night of the soul" shít on her plugged-to-bejaysus bebo page aimed at tweens and teenagers,
    b) stop plugging her personal page on the nation radio station, or at the very least,
    c) change the title from Nikkihayes2fm or whatever, so that people who go to actually read her self publicised personal problems don't assume her mental condition updates are sanctioned by Rté by virtue of its title.

Her constant (and by god it is constant) plugging of her bebo page on 2fm would lead one to believe that it's full of the same harmless inane twitter that appeals to the same westlife and Katie perry fans that her show attracts.
    However, the blog itself is at times quite inappropriate and needy, and the sudden juxtaposition of the two personalities is somewhat disturbing, and yes, could be perceived as unprofessional.

I can see that you're something of a fan of Nikki Hayes, but I don't think he was picking adjectives out of thin air to abuse her with.

No I wasn't referring to the previous poster! I was asking two general questions!
    One being did 2fm take over bebo?
    Second one being why is it unprofessional?

IMO and it doesn't matter whether I'm a fan or not. She may advertise her bebo as a way for people to get in touch with the show but that doesn't mean whatever she writes on her personnal social networking site has anything to do with 2fm! I don't think it has to it's up to her what she writes and if she wants to write I've sat up all night crying and now my telly's broke and my dog ran away! It's up to her! I don't see it as unprofessional! It would be unprofessional if she was putting the stuff on the 2fm website but not her personnal bebo page!

Also have you ever been to a Westlife concert?

If that is the case, the answer to the first question is , no, 2fm, who are currently implementing cutbacks and a pay freeze on their staff due to the current economic crisis affecting them , did not take over the $850million valued Bebo.

Your second question is answered in my original reply, and this is not the place for a discussion on Westlife.

If that is the case, the answer to the first question is , no, 2fm, who are currently implementing cutbacks and a pay freeze on their staff due to the current economic crisis affecting them , did not take over the $850million valued Bebo.

Well then what she writes on her bebo blog doesn't affect her work on 2fm so it shouldn't matter and isn't unprofessional imo!

If she advertises bebo as a way to get in touch with the show who cares! It still doesn't affect 2fm! She talks about her dogs alot as well on the show is that unprofessional or does it matter enough! Her show is as enjoyable as anyone elses on 2fm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

attention seeking really,rosanna davison was on bebo too for while,its for the attention,no one can say you are been nosy about someones life if you make it public on a page,there is privacy options ya know.personally i think shes gorgeous :S

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Well then what she writes on her bebo blog doesn't affect her work on 2fm so it shouldn't matter and isn't unprofessional imo!

If she advertises bebo as a way to get in touch with the show who cares! It still doesn't affect 2fm! She talks about her dogs alot as well on the show is that unprofessional or does it matter enough! Her show is as enjoyable as anyone else's on 2fm!

If you look back, you'll see that I have made no comment on the content or quality of Nikki Hayes' show. Your repetitious comments that she's enjoyable etc make me think you have little interest in what is actually being discussed, and simply want to tell everyone that she's great.

Again, as I said earlier, I appreciate that you're a fan, and will possibly refuse to see other points of view, as fans are wont to do, but just take this in for a second before hammering the keyboard about dogs or whatever...

Nikkihayes2fm.bebo.com

Can you honestly, "iyo" say that there is no possibility that someone reading that will not think that it involves or affects 2FM?

I think it's pretty clear cut that they will associate it with the national broadcaster rather than thinking it's a private page full of dark mental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Before anyone says "If you don't like her, then don't listen"....I don't have a choice! Our radio in work is on all day and my boss' choice of station is 2fm :)

Can I just say to anyone who is in this predicament, not just this DJ, but work in an office or shop floor and can't change the station...

Shop your work place to the PPI or IMRO, to make sure that they have a licence to play music in a public place.

This will go one of two ways. 1) the boss coughs up to the PPI/IMRO people who come knocking, or 2) the radio gets tossed out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dunno if this is something new or not (just saw this now) but her bebo page says: "THIS IS MY PERSONAL PAGE & NOTHING TO DO WITH RTE AS AN ORGANISATION" ... maybe she saw this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

nope,i think it was mentioned earlier mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If any of us put up a Bebo page with our name and our employer's name in the URL, then started posting our deepest innermost thoughts on it, chances are that HR would come a-knocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is interesting that she is allowed get away with it. Since a certain alleged incident (remember the newspapers could not find a Garda report) last year which was possibly linked to her bebo presence, she had cut back mentioning it on air. Seems not now though.

I do agree with other posters that it is inappropriate for her to be posting the content that she does whilst having her employers name on it. It does sound needy in the extreme.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Dunno if this is something new or not (just saw this now) but her bebo page says: "THIS IS MY PERSONAL PAGE & NOTHING TO DO WITH RTE AS AN ORGANISATION" ... maybe she saw this thread?

That has always been on her bebo page it's not just because of this thread!
    Again, as I said earlier, I appreciate that you're a fan, and will possibly refuse to see other points of view, as fans are wont to do, but just take this in for a second before hammering the keyboard about dogs or whatever...

Nikkihayes2fm.bebo.com

Can you honestly, "iyo" say that there is no possibility that someone reading that will not think that it involves or affects 2FM?

I think it's pretty clear cut that they will associate it with the national broadcaster rather than thinking it's a private page full of dark mental issues.

Point 1, you shouldn't presume!

Point 2, yes I can honestly say that IMO there isn't a possiblity of them being linked when it clearly states it's her personnal page and nothing to do with 2fm.. I know others who have their emails as blahblahblah2fm@gmail or hotmail etc.com do you presume then that what they send via those email addresses is part of 2fm as well! I don't think so it's clear that it's only a user name same as if I had petalsdit or petalstesco as my username Does that mean that everything I wrote on bebo is linked to dit or tesco I don't think so! It's clear bebo is a personnal thing not part of a work thing!

Honestly I think thread is funny cos first of all you're giving her more publicity by discussing it which can't be bad for her and secondly isn't it sad that yee are that bothered by it to discuss it!

That's the last I'm saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Personal Bebo pages which are advertised on any station on air sound very unprofessional. By all means let the marketing dept. run a page on your behalf which adheres to company policy and portrays a good station image, but this type of thing is not on - especially for a national broadcaster. They should be driving hits up on the RTE on website, not bloomin Bebo!! And what happens if she gets fired? She can rant on her personal page about it all she wants and many will see it due to the free advertising RTE gave her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

maybe nikkihayes already registered before the "2FM" one ?,but her myspace page is covered in 2fMuck.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=62159172

That has always been on her bebo page it's not just because of this thread!

Point 1, you shouldn't presume!`

I didn't. At any stage.
    Honestly I think thread is funny cos first of all you're giving her more publicity by discussing it which can't be bad for her and secondly isn't it sad that yee are that bothered by it to discuss it!

You seem to think the purpose of this thread is starve Nikki Hayes of publicity. It isn't. It's a group of people who are all of the opinion (with the exception of you) that putting deeply personal thoughts on a webpage advertised repeatedly to her radio audience through her position as a broadcaster on the national youth station is perhaps not 100% professional.

That may indeed be sad, but it's not quite as sad as spectacularly missing the point in the first place, not actually understanding the points being debated, and then trying to drag the argument off on tangents like tescos, westlife, hotmail and dogs when you realise that you're out of your depth.
    That's the last I'm saying!

Going on your previous input, we can only be thankful if that is actually true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm not a regular listener, so I'm not really qualified to comment, but the odd time I've heard her, she sounds ill-prepared and listless. But after checking out her bebo page, I have to agree that she's rather fond of oversharing. Whatever about the HR department, wouldn't you think that a friend - a real one, not a bebo friend - would have a word in her ear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

but I don't think he was picking adjectives out of thin air to abuse her with.

I like it, and I claim the right to use it in the future!

Someone here once described her as a "bubbling half-wit", which I always though quite apt.

The only time I've ever listened to her show is on the odd Saturday afternoon, because Today FM have football on at the same time, which I can't stand. And no, there are no other stations I could listen to ;)

The saying for all those who talk about me thanks for making me the centre of your world comes to mind!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sputnik101

Didn't she get the crap kicked out of her a while ago? Disgruntled listener perhaps?

Was it you?
    Seriously is it your place to be saying something like that on a public forum!

I'm afraid I have to agree with the above poster, why are you all so bothered by her bebo page or is it just jealousy that she's made it to a national station and you haven't?
    Kind of like what will we bitch about regarding Nikki Hayes this week?! Change the record would ya!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The saying for all those who talk about me thanks for making me the centre of your world comes to mind!!

Sorry, what now?
    Sputnik101 wrote: »
    I'm afraid I have to agree with the above poster, why are you all so bothered by her bebo page or is it just jealousy that she's made it to a national station and you haven't?
    Kind of like what will we bitch about regarding Nikki Hayes this week?! Change the record would ya!!

Someone soon will bring up a point including the words 'value' and 'taxdollars'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement