Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What lense?

• 29-01-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have a Cannon EOS400d and am looking for a new lense for it. I want something affordable. I want it mainly for taking photographs of models, so something crisp and clean, and possibly a bit of a wide angle.

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

It'd help if you tell us what 'affordable' is for you.

get a 50mm f1.8

If you want a wide angle, get a 10-20mm Sigma. But dont photograph your models with that one or they'll all end up looking like tommy cooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 amysdeadpeas

Hmm, lets say affordable is €400 or less. (I am unemployed.)
    I like a bit of distortion in photos.
    My usual stuff http://amysdeadpeas.deviantart.com/gallery/ for an idea of what I'm looking for, if it helps.

yeah.. but you dont want distortion in photos of people unless your intention is to make them look weird. You've some decent stuff there on your deviantart page.. I'd go with the 50 1.8 if I were you. Presume you've got the 18-55 kit lens at the moment?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

50mm is 85 euro

is it that much? Was over in London yesterday and I could've sworn I spotted it for around £60, around €65 at todays exchange rate

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have the 18-55. Fair sick of it now. haha.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

rymus wrote: »
    is it that much? Was over in London yesterday and I could've sworn I spotted it for around £60, around €65 at todays exchange rate

humm well before the magical sterling rates that is

humm well before the magical sterling rates that is

The sterling is pretty much dead atm though.

it's heading back down now.. .its 91 today. got the 50 1.4 over there the other day at 94p to the euro..

Amy, I'd say look into getting the 50 1.8. It's cheap enough that you'll still have a good lot of your budget left over if you want to look at getting an ultra wide angle like the 10-20

Thanks very much for your help. :) I think I'll go with that one so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

I recived my 50mm 1.4 today it came from China :) ,....eh when i say i recieved i mean i recieved a letter from the feds saying ive to collect it from there customs office :( im dreding what there going to charge !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

50mm is 85 euro

Where?
    Going to Dublin on Saturday and was thinking of picking one up for my d80.
    I see bermingham have it for 120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Daz R1 wrote: »
    I recived my 50mm 1.4 today it came from China :) ,....eh when i say i recieved i mean i recieved a letter from the feds saying ive to collect it from there customs office :( im dreding what there going to charge !!!

Hehe 3.5% customs duty and then vat of 21.5 on top of that

Edit: vat is calculated on its irish rrp afaik.

Advertisement