Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Chicken

• 29-01-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anyone know a place in Dublin i can get cheap chicken fillets? my butcher stopped the deal he's runnin.
    I'm gettin peckish now

F

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where abouts are you?

I can get 10 for 10 in the butchers at sallynoggin church, the weigh about 1.2-1.3kg.

I think the butchers downstairs in dun laoghaire shopping centre also do 10 for 10 and is around the same weight.

There have been several threads in the fitness forum with other cheap butchers around dublin. I know you eat loads, on guy had a wholesale place that would be worth looking into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I was in JC's in Swords tonight and they had 8 chicken breasts for 6.99. They looked like a decent size too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Rosemount Butchers, Marian Rd, Rathfarnham sell 10 large (120-150g) chicken fillets for 10.99 and have been doing so for over a year now. Good quality too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

does anyone know why chicken fillets in ireland are so much smaller than here in Australia? It's funny that you're all calling 120-150g chicken breasts large, the ones I buy here, are usually about 300-350g per fillet, one is enough to feed two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Cos the Australian chickens are much happier what with all that sunshine so they grow better than our ones in dark, damp environment. Either that or they're on steroids or something!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

6 for a fiver in Troy's on moore street (got 12 yesterday, came to 1.2kg so they're small enough), 10 for 10 in Buckleys, both seem ok. There's some chinee shops that do something like 30kgs frozen for feck all, the ones you buy frozen tend to taste a little funny...

Dead Ed wrote: »
    There's some chinee shops that do something like 30kgs frozen for feck all, the ones you buy frozen tend to taste a little funny...
    Where are these shops? it is probably from Thailand. Tesco were doing frozen ones think it was €6.99 per kilo, they were full of water & soya protein, was listed on the packet.

Probably a different breed of chicken in australis, like those white eggs in the US, or else they just grow them bigger.

The butchers in dun laoghaire do large ones. I get 2.2kg chickens in dunnes, I think one breast off one was 350g without the bone. It is actually sometimes cheaper to buy a full chicken just take the breasts off and bin the rest. i.e. I would have got 700g of breast meat I think the chicken was €7. so €10 per kilo, while in supermarkets even the cheap own brands are usually €16 per kilo now, €22+ per kilo for some brands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

rubadub wrote: »
    It is actually sometimes cheaper to buy a full chicken just take the breasts off and bin the rest.

Why wouldn't you eat the rest of the chicken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Where are these shops? it is probably from Thailand. Tesco were doing frozen ones think it was €6.99 per kilo, they were full of water & soya protein, was listed on the packet.
    The one I was talking about is in Inchicore. I think they also sell huge tins of pork. Apparently they're charging thirty quid for ten kilos of frozen breasts. think it might be called so kee or something, I'll find out later anyway.

The oriental emporium on abbey street was selling frozen stuff at about 5 quid a kilo a while back. They're labelled as chicken, they look and feel like chicken but they don't taste like chicken. No ingredients list either!

taconnol wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you eat the rest of the chicken?
    I would!, I was just making the point that a whole chicken can be better value. Buy a chicken for €7 and I get 700g of breast meat and all the rest, while 700g of breast meat on its own would be over €10 in the same supermarket.

even if I did throw it out it is still better value.
    Dead Ed wrote: »
    The oriental emporium on abbey street was selling frozen stuff at about 5 quid a kilo a while back. They're labelled as chicken, they look and feel like chicken but they don't taste like chicken. No ingredients list either!
    Ahh yes, I know the place, right next door to the dog pound ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I would!, I was just making the point that a whole chicken can be better value. Buy a chicken for €7 and I get 700g of breast meat and all the rest, while 700g of breast meat on its own would be over €10 in the same supermarket.

LOL ok thanks for the clarification :) I thought you might just be an uber-picky eater or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Rosemount Butchers, Marian Rd, Rathfarnham sell 10 large (120-150g) chicken fillets for 10.99 and have been doing so for over a year now. Good quality too.
    Is this beside the Chipper? Or beside the church/Xtra-Vision etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Quoi? wrote: »
    Is this beside the Chipper? Or beside the church/Xtra-Vision etc??

It's down by the church, next door to Supervalue. They also do a lovely beef fillet and some great home made burgers!

Dunnes do twin packs of cooked chicken, I think it is O'Kanes, and is almost always 1/2 price, one of these ongoing "fake" offers. Think it is €7 for 2 small chickens, think they are 1500-1600g. This sounds quite a low weight, but I wonder what weight they were before cooking, i.e. lots of chicken is quite fatty these days, it could have been 2000g weight before cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Dunnes do twin packs of cooked chicken, I think it is O'Kanes, and is almost always 1/2 price, one of these ongoing "fake" offers. Think it is €7 for 2 small chickens, think they are 1500-1600g. This sounds quite a low weight, but I wonder what weight they were before cooking, i.e. lots of chicken is quite fatty these days, it could have been 2000g weight before cooking.

:eek: that is very cheap. Hope Hugh Fearnley Whathisface doesn't find out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Was about to rise with righteous anger at waste.

Until I saw the dog pound mentioned.:)

We get whole chickens and our rescued cats and dogs do very well on the raw legs and wings, carcases etc.

Better than any tinned food for them, and cheaper.

Or we make soup or stew.

ASDA always have cheap ones.

Ahh yes, I know the place, right next door to the dog pound ;)

I can get 10 for 10 in the butchers at sallynoggin church, the weigh about 1.2-1.3kg.
    Was there today, 1450g for €10 so €6.90 per kilo!

I think tesco have theirs on offer €10.99 per kilo and that is HALF price.

Also got a pound of round steak mince for €3 and it was 570g (1lb is meant to be 454g).

Will definitely be sticking with them in future.

If you cook them they will last longer, i.e. fresh ones today would not be ok next friday. If you cook they last longer. Also if you bake them wrapped in tinfoil this is in effect a "controlled environment". i.e. all the nasties are killed off, but if exposed to contaminated air then they will not last as long. Everybody's kitchen is brimming with contaminants in the air, unless you live in a sterile lab!

So do not open the tinfoil until needed. I also sometimes shred up the chicken and freeze it loosely packed, now I can add frozen cooked chicken to stirfries and it defrosts quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

did they have any free range? did you see their price?

I didn't notice any, I think they also had 2kg chickens for €7 but at that price it is not freerange. I will check next time, they probably only have the cheaper stuff on the big chalk boards.

Advertisement