Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Define "Bad Call"

Options
  • 29-01-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Need help with the definition of "Bad Call". Everywhere I go in poker circles I hear "Bad Call", "blaa blaa blaa cry cry cry bad call bad call" . Is it just me but these words seem vastly overused by anyone who is either caught bluffing, or does not want to be called. I have on occasion called with middle pair and even A high if i feel someone is bluffing, and when the chips are coming my way all I hear is bad call bad call. I have 2 pieces of advice for those who overuse these words (1) make the raise higher (2) dont put your chips accross the line in the first place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

starting this thread

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A bad call is what someone makes with no reason or rationale behind the decision other than 'I thought they were bluffing'. If you cannot expand on that any more into why exactly why they were bluffing (including a physical tell) then it is only making up a reason basically. Just because you might be right *this* time doesn't make it a good call without a logical reason for the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sounds like you play good, keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

5starpool wrote: »
    A bad call is what someone makes with no reason or rationale behind the decision other than 'I thought they were bluffing'. If you cannot expand on that any more into why exactly why they were bluffing (including a physical tell) then it is only making up a reason basically. Just because you might be right *this* time doesn't make it a good call without a logical reason for the action.

If poker was all down to logic then PistolPete would have his 10gs by now

of course it is down to logic. This includes knowing your opponent and how he is likely to play. Just because he 'could' be bluffing, doesn't mean he is.

How often have you made those calls with bottom pair on a whim and been totally wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

there is no wrong or right answer to a bad call in poker imo

however starpool gives a good definition of it

it is mostly a difference of opinion, i actually find it quite helpful if people told me i've made a bad call cos it gives me info into their game and i can use that against them

no matter how "bad" i think somebodies call is against me, i would never say thats a bad call cos i don't want him to change his ways and inform him that he is playing badly vs. me

this is a problem i see a lot is people berate weaker players at the tables and either scare them away, make them play much more conservative

you should never tell someone off at the table unless you can gain something from it!

never teach the fish how to swim come to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

john47832 wrote: »
    If poker was all down to logic then PistolPete would have his 10gs by now

*facepalm*

of course it is down to logic. This includes knowing your opponent and how he is likely to play. Just because he 'could' be bluffing, doesn't mean he is.

How often have you made those calls with bottom pair on a whim and been totally wrong?

How many times have you seen a player make a "Bad Call", and take in the chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Pffft - Phil Galfond, who the hell is he?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pffft - Phil Galfond, who the hell is he?

Another "GENIUS"(note the deep sarcasm) poker player... who says "BORINGLY" (more sarcasm) that we should all play the odds and we will all win in the end (end of sarasm)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

and that's why you're busto, and he's a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

[ ] thread's future looks rosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I only play online but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of ******* 'experts' giving running commentary and berating anyone and everyone for their calls etc etc etc.

I haven't a clue about the 'lingo' as I have only played at tables a handful of times. Me playing bad calls (and getting 'lucky') has forced MrPaddyPower to send me nice cheques on a few occasions!

Everyone to their own, everyone plays the game different. You make you're own luck unless you're too busy talking tripe to everyone else.

Another "GENIUS"(note the deep sarcasm) poker player... who says "BORINGLY" (more sarcasm) that we should all play the odds and we will all win in the end (end of sarasm)

ohnoes08.jpg

WE HAZ A TROLL!!!11!!1!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can we sticky this? Seriously.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A bad call could be defined as a call which, if you were to repeat it many times in the EXACT SAME SITUATION, would (on average) result in you losing money in the long run.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    A bad call could be defined as a call which, if you were to repeat it many times in the EXACT SAME SITUATION, would (on average) result in you losing money in the long run.

DeV.

perfect - about time too - tnks Dev - "the amount of times a player makes bad calls" so why do so many "Poker Players" go around overusing the words "Bad Call" when they havent followed the player around???

How many times have you seen a player make a "Bad Call", and take in the chips?

How many times have you answered a question instead of asking one instead?

I have seen people berate someone for making a marginal call when they had reasoned why it was correct to make a call. I have seen people make silly calls for no reason, yet be right on that occasion. I have seen people make sily calls for no reason and be a mile behind. I have seen people make marginal calls for good reasons but be miles behind too.

I don't really think you want a conversation on this though, you just want to espouse your view that everyone except you is stupid.

How many times have you answered a question instead of asking one instead?

I have seen people berate someone for making a marginal call when they had reasoned why it was correct to make a call. I have seen people make silly calls for no reason, yet be right on that occasion. I have seen people make sily calls for no reason and be a mile behind. I have seen people make marginal calls for good reasons but be miles behind too.

I don't really think you want a conversation on this though, you just want to espouse your view that everyone except you is stupid.

Im hanging my head in shame... I'm berating people who berate people

• Advertisement

Im hanging my head in shame... I'm berating people who berate people

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its possible, indeed probable that the people who say "bad call" when you call with ace high are simply annoyed that you called. Basic rationalisation, they tell themselves that SOMEONE must have played badly in the hand and it couldnt be them could it.

Other times it may well be a bad call. One with little or no reasoning behind it beyond "I want to see his cards".

Only the caller truely knows and only if he's being honest with himself. Which most aren't.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I don't think I've ever made a bad call

PM BCB or ollyk1, they should be able to give expert advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

keane2097 wrote: »
    ohnoes08.jpg

WE HAZ A TROLL!!!11!!1!!1

thedini wrote: »
    this is the fella that needed a 4 day poker strategy

Please check facts before you start personally commenting on other people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

DeVore wrote: »
    Its possible, indeed probable that the people who say "bad call" when you call with ace high are simply annoyed that you called. Basic rationalisation, they tell themselves that SOMEONE must have played badly in the hand and it couldnt be them could it.

Other times it may well be a bad call. One with little or no reasoning behind it beyond "I want to see his cards".

Only the caller truely knows and only if he's being honest with himself. Which most aren't.

DeV.

This is pretty much 100% correct imo. Second paragraph is the much more annoying one though, as the guy there obviously shouldn't be told told he's made a bad call, and it's clearly the loser's fault for trying to bluff the fish in the first place.

thedini wrote: »
    this is the fella that needed a 4 day poker strategy

Sentence fragment is a sentence fragment...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Please check facts before you start personally commenting on other people
    i apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

FixedThisThreadSucks.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

(1) make the raise higher (2) dont put your chips accross the line in the first place.

1. I'm sure for some crazy reason your opponent might have though you knew what you were doing so decided to 'value-bluff' you. I have a severe doubt though that you know what this is all about. Make the raise higher :rolleyes:. there are alot more way to bluff that just bet big. Alot of people will sense weakness if you bet pits too big. Alas, not you it seems.

2. Yes of course, lets all wait for premium hands and make the game a complete luckfest.

People should never try and bluff idiots. They just won't grasp it. Liek sammy Farha said, Against a good player I don't need a hand but I do against a bad player.

Which category do you fall into Johnny ol' pea?

Advertisement