Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Define "Bad Call"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Pretty apt given its a poker forum that this troll has slung out his line and a lot of you fish have chomped on it so very hard.

Ignore the troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alanbb

I only play online but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of ******* 'experts' giving running commentary and berating anyone and everyone for their calls etc etc etc.

I haven't a clue about the 'lingo' as I have only played at tables a handful of times. Me playing bad calls (and getting 'lucky') has forced MrPaddyPower to send me nice cheques on a few occasions!

Everyone to their own, everyone plays the game different. You make you're own luck unless you're too busy talking tripe to everyone else.

I'm sorry to say it, but the man is right...

No direct offence towards anybody here, but I have never come across a game that has so many "experts" playing it. I don't play much, but I have been to a lot of tournaments and the amount of crap I have heard spewed about "bad calls" and the like would make you sick.
    I'm not trying to start a row, but the game is 90% luck, just admit it.

alanbb wrote: »

No direct offence towards anybody here, but I have never come across a game that has so many "experts" playing it. I don't play much, but I have been to a lot of tournaments and the amount of crap I have heard spewed about "bad calls" and the like would make you sick.

Irony ftw.

Irony ftw.

:confused:

:confused:

Guy criticises "experts", not realising that giving out about bad calls and such is a sign of a poor player.

Guy then asks a forum which contains a small number of very successful players and a greater number who aspire to that success that poker is luck.

Does this in spite of posters like RedJoker, Van Dice, TommyGunne, Cardshark, Hectorjelly etc showing time after time that poker is a game of mathematics and "luck" is really a mathematical variance from a statistical norm.

Irony is there in a few places. My fave is the "90% luck" part though. The combo of maths and ignorance is quite beautiful.

EDIT: I understand the irony of me of all people writing that first line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

1. I'm sure for some crazy reason your opponent might have though you knew what you were doing so decided to 'value-bluff' you. I have a severe doubt though that you know what this is all about. Make the raise higher :rolleyes:. there are alot more way to bluff that just bet big. Alot of people will sense weakness if you bet pits too big. Alas, not you it seems.

2. Yes of course, lets all wait for premium hands and make the game a complete luckfest.

People should never try and bluff idiots. They just won't grasp it. Liek sammy Farha said, Against a good player I don't need a hand but I do against a bad player.

Which category do you fall into Johnny ol' pea?

Ye see that was me point - a lot of people commenting on other peoples play without being qualified. In order for someone to say "Bad Call" they have to see a players play for a while because technically a "Bad Call" has to be judged over time.. Apologies to anyone offended - thread was not meant to be contaversial, rather trying to gather an opinion on what I think is the most overused by the unqualified saying in poker

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Actual Bad Call:

phone rings.....

Hero:Hellooo?

Clinic:Hello,this is the clinic with your test results sir.

Hero:Thank God,finally.

Clinic: Sir..........contrary to popular belief,what happens in Vegas dosen't stay in Vegas.......

Hero: What? what the heck are you on about?

Clinic:You have Herpes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

john47832 wrote: »
    Another "GENIUS"(note the deep sarcasm) poker player... who says "BORINGLY" (more sarcasm) that we should all play the odds and we will all win in the end (end of sarasm)

You know what "I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT" John.

Icarus152 wrote: »
    Actual Bad Call:

phone rings.....

HeroHawkeye:Hellooo?

Clinic:Hello,this is the clinic with your test results sir.

HeroHawkeye:Thank God,finally.

Clinic: Sir..........contrary to popular belief,what happens in Vegas dosen't stay in Vegas.......

HeroHawkeye: What? what the heck are you on about?

Clinic:You have Herpes.

FYP:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

john47832 wrote: »
    Need help with the definition of "Bad Call".

A bad call = A good bad call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Probably the silliest post I have read in a long time

For reasons perfectly outlined by Kayroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No direct offence towards anybody here, but I have never come across a game that has so many "experts" playing it.

Id advise you not to go near the soccer forum then. although the majority of them dont even play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

so much nonsense itt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

In the short term is all about luck, in the long term luck doesn't even exist...zero-nothing-nill!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Games are still good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

TripleAce wrote: »
    In the short term is all about luck, in the long term luck doesn't even exist...zero-nothing-nill!

lol

There's hundreds of occasions where people make "bad calls". You have to understand the players thought process before you can call it a good/bad call.

I raise with AA, you call with 98...flop comes 942. I push all in and you call. Is that a good call or a bad call?

I raise with AK, , you call with 98...flop comes QJ8. I push all in and you call. Is that a good call or a bad call?

I push allin with AK, 2 others go allin, you call with 77. We have AK, AQ, 66 and you hold up. Is that a good call or a bad call?

Liverpool with finish 5th this season. Is that a good call or a bad call?

Hot chick from Coppers is giving me a pedal in the laneway. She drops her bags and asks me to fill her up. We dont have any wubbers and people are walking by so i tell her to get the boat. Is that a good call or bad call?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Define pedal.

EDIT: Scratch that found it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bad call = picking this as your running mate

0_61_palin_sarah.jpg

38275350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Hot chick from Coppers is giving me a pedal in the laneway. She drops her bags and asks me to fill her up. We dont have any wubbers and people are walking by so i tell her to get the boat. Is that a good call or bad call?
    GOOD CALL!

Guy criticises "experts", not realising that giving out about bad calls and such is a sign of a poor player.

Guy then asks a forum which contains a small number of very successful players and a greater number who aspire to that success that poker is luck.

Does this in spite of posters like RedJoker, Van Dice, TommyGunne, Cardshark, Hectorjelly etc showing time after time that poker is a game of mathematics and "luck" is really a mathematical variance from a statistical norm.

Irony is there in a few places. My fave is the "90% luck" part though. The combo of maths and ignorance is quite beautiful.

EDIT: I understand the irony of me of all people writing that first line.

Hmmm...

If you had taken the time to read the post you may have noticed the little inverted commas placed both fore and aft of the word experts.... to wit, they ae not experts at all but, as you say "aspiring players".

As for your second point, yes I agree poker is nothing more than mathematical variance but thereinm lies my point. Since it can only be predicated to a certain point the rest is random. Or luck, whichever you like.

Please take time to read the post properly, punctuation included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

Flushdraw wrote: »
    lol

So thats where you were at last night and here was me thinking it was the Fitz :rolleyes:

Posting that you were with some hot chick from Coppers in a forum your girfriend reads. is that a good call or a bad call? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

So thats where you were at last night and here was me thinking it was the Fitz :rolleyes:

Posting that you were with some hot chick from Coppers in a forum your girfriend reads. is that a good call or a bad call? :P

ohsnap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Yeah pwnage pretty much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Flushdraw wrote: »
    lol

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

a bad call is one made without appropriate consideration of the raiser's holding

Hmmm...

If you had taken the time to read the post you may have noticed the little inverted commas placed both fore and aft of the word experts.... to wit, they ae not experts at all but, as you say "aspiring players".

As for your second point, yes I agree poker is nothing more than mathematical variance but thereinm lies my point. Since it can only be predicated to a certain point the rest is random. Or luck, whichever you like.

Please take time to read the post properly, punctuation included.

This is a level right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

WOW - have just read the rules, I think there has been a fair crack most of them here - thanks anyway to all (even the Glanza drivers who added the silly pics) "Really have to try dropping the sarcasm" :rolleyes:

I've reached a momentous point here - 50 posts - I'm off to the football, with skin a bit thicker too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭kennyrsb

what a waste of time reading this............

Advertisement