Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda v Portsmouth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Both are historically around the same time - and have different background stories. Portsmouth have changed theirs many time over the years.

From wiki
    The crest of Drogheda United is an adaptation of the crest of Drogheda town's coat of arms, which feature the heraldic symbols of a star and crescent over a shield depicting St. Lawrence's Gate, three lions and a ship. The three lions passant represent England - as Drogheda lay within the Pale and was a garrison town - and the ship represents the town's port. The star and crescent are the royal seal of King John, who presented the town with its charter in 1194.[2][3]

While Drogheda United share the same symbols and colours as Trabzonspor, in Turkey - both recently declared to be sister teams - this has nothing to do with the Sultan of Turkey's attempted relief of the Irish during the Great Famine of the nineteenth century, as the town coat of arms pre-dates the Great Famine by almost eight hundred years.

The Drogheda coat of arms
    The town arms

A Norman element on Drogheda's coat of arms is its centrepiece, St. Lawrence's Gate. The three lions which flank the Norman barbican are also taken from King Richard's coat of arms. On the other side of the barbican is a ship denoting Drogheda's status as an important port. The town's motto

From wiki
    The official emblem contains a gold star and crescent on a blue shield, Portsmouth's adoption of the star and crescent (usually synonymous with Islam) is said to have come from when King Richard I, granted the city "a crescent of gold on a shade of azure, with a blazing star of eight points" which he had taken from the Byzantine Emperor's standard of Governor Isaac Komnenos, after capturing Cyprus. It is one of the most recognisable football crests in English football and is nicknamed 'the smiley crest' because of its similarity to a smiling face.

Throughout its history Portsmouth have tried different variations of the crest before reverting back to the basic gold star and crescent. In the 1950s and 1960s the traditional crest was emblazoned on the shirt in white rather than gold but this was due to white being a cheaper alternative.

Between 1980 and 1989 the club scrapped the original crest and replaced it with a new design. This crest showed a football on top of an anchor (representing the navy) and a sword (representing the army). An interchangeable version included a circular version of the star and crescent crest in place of the football.

The return of the original crest in 1989 only lasted 4 years when it was replaced by the city's coat of arms in 1993. This design was based around the basic star and crescent but was unpopular with many fans who thought it was over elaborate. After only four seasons the original crest was again reinstated and remains to the present day. In time for the 2007 season "Since 1898" was added to the badge underneath the club's name.

On 6 May 2008 Portsmouth FC unveiled a new crest which differs significantly from the old crest. It removes the 'three points' and the 'star and moon' now have a three dimensional look. The 'moon' also has more diameter and looks quite like the city's Coat of Arms.

So basically, the Drogheda coat of arms has the elements of Drogheda United Crest. The portsmouth crest is taken from King Richard. So both of them have the same crest that King Richard kind of invented. In a way, they are both accurate in describing their town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Cheers - I did see they were related to the coat of arms but both cities coat of arms' are not completely identical which is why I was wondering.

Cheers for the info - just curious ! Does anyone know what the situation would be with copyright to this ? Would one city/club be in a position to hold copyright over the others' claims due to the similarities of the logo and both being used by football clubs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Morlar wrote: »
    Cheers - I did see they were related to the coat of arms but both cities coat of arms' are not completely identical which is why I was wondering.

Cheers for the info - just curious ! Does anyone know what the situation would be with copyright to this ? Would one city/club be in a position to hold copyright over the others' claims due to the similarities of the logo and both being used by football clubs ?

I'm not sure on the copyright? But they have differences. The Portsmouth one now has a 3d effect, and the stars has more points. The shape of the crest itself is rounded edges, where Drogheda is straight edged.

The colours differentiate and the typefaces too.

Where the symbols used in them are similar, the crests themselves are not exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

This thought crossed my mind recently when watching the FA cup ties on SSN. One team had taken the EXACT Barca crest and merely change the colour scheme to green and white. I must have a look and see if I can find out which team it was...

Advertisement