Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup final for Lansdowne 2011

• 29-01-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

London's Wembley Stadium and the Fußball Arena München will host the 2011 and 2012 UEFA Champions League finals, with Dublin's Lansdowne Road and Bucharest's National Stadium the venues for the 2011 and 2012 UEFA Europa League showcases.

UEFA decision
    The UEFA Executive Committee has decided on the host venues for the two major UEFA club competitions at its meeting in Nyon. The 2010/11 UEFA Champions League will conclude with a final at the new Wembley, with the same season seeing the first major UEFA final in the Republic of Ireland, with the UEFA Europa League decider taking place at the new Lansdowne Road which is currently under construction. The following year will see the UEFA Champions League final take place at the Fußball Arena München, while the UEFA Europa League final will be the first major club final to be staged in the Romanian capital in the new National Stadium.

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Good stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I hope a couple of huge continental clubs make it to the final, imagine the scenes if Rangers are in it, I dread to think about the crap that could occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Brilliant. Big F U to all the fools on here the other day who said we should not get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Draupnir wrote: »
    I hope a couple of huge continental clubs make it to the final, imagine the scenes if Rangers are in it, I dread to think about the crap that could occur.

That occurred to me too.

Still though. Great news. Only two years to wait, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That's a huge coup cup for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cool, there's a lot of Liverpool fans here in Dublin so they'll enjoy the day out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Brilliant news. It would be good to see two very large clubs play this game. Maybe two teams that were knocked out of the Champions League. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Oh no......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

nope, I haven't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Hope a couple of unfashionable Eastern European teams make it to the final and the whole world will see how 'soccer mad' this country really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pigman II wrote: »
    Hope a couple of unfashionable Eastern European teams make it to the final and the whole world will see how 'soccer mad' this country really is.

It'll be a sell-out no matter who is in the final, though the promised €30 Million boost to the local economy won't happen if ZenitSP play FC Tirana in the final.

Would be fun if 2 LOI teams battled to the final. UCD v Shels in front of 50000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any chances of Rangers getting to the final, I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Would be fun if 2 LOI teams battled to the final. UCD v Shels in front of 50000 people.

Wouldn't fill 50,000 people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

So am I going to be the first (and only) person to actually congratulate the FAI for pulling this off? :P

Well done FAI, brilliant news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Delaney was just interviewed on SkySportsNews,

Basically he is delighted for Irish Soccer, the Country and the Fans,

Says the stadium is on time and on budget right now, due to be completed April 2010.

It will be as significant as the Ryder Cup, he actually said between €30 and €100 million to be generated, and thanked the Government, Daa, Dublin Bus and Dublin Hoteliers - who played a role in the process.

Great to see it coming anyways no matter who plays.

Well done to the F.A.I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

deise59 wrote: »
    Well done FAI, brilliant news.

I agree, its great. I can Imagine tickets will be in short supply no matter whos playing. Would love to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Actually folks it's the 'Europa League final' that will be held in Lansdowne, not the UEFA cup final.

I don't know what ye are getting so excited about:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

gd1987 wrote: »
    I agree, its great. I can Imagine tickets will be in short supply no matter whos playing. Would love to go.

ehh you buy them early then tout them to whatever teams fans get to the final.

Thats how it normally works.

Fair play to FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

redout wrote: »
    Brilliant. Big F U to all the fools on here the other day who said we should not get it.

Indeed. Harping on about patriotism, they are the biggest gang of anti patriotic whingers you are ever likely to meet.

Brilliant news, cant wait for this, could be one hell of a party if certain clubs make it :)

If they avoid relegation this year Man City could push a traditional EPL top 4 into this bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Actually folks it's the 'Europa League final' that will be held in Lansdowne, not the UEFA cup final.

I don't know what ye are getting so excited about:rolleyes:

Totally agree with you. There's gonna be a much bigger game with real teams and the best players in the world playing in England the following week, so why get excited about this game? :confused: The only ones getting worked up about this one would the self-confessed real fans of football. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Shane, ill have one last go at trying to explain why some LoI fans arent crazy about the Irish national team.

None of the team play in Ireland for Irish clubs.
    Half of them have English accents.
    None of them live in Ireland.
    The management isnt Irish.
    The large majority of people who follow them follow English football.

It just doesnt feel very Irish. Some think that their clubs are more representative of them and Ireland than the national team is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Well done FAI.

Thank god we won't have to travel thousands of miles to see Galway United beat Marseille in 2011 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

CiaranC wrote: »
    Shane, ill have one last go at trying to explain why some LoI fans arent crazy about the Irish national team.

None of the team play in Ireland for Irish clubs.

Most of the best national French players dont play in France, or will be on the move within a year.
    Most of the best Brazillians play outside Brazil.
    Most of the.....I could go on, but essentially bar Spain, Italy, England and possibly Germany any decent international team is comprised of players plying their trade elsewhere.
    Half of them have English accents.

Shame on Steve Finnan for picking up an accent from spending almost his entire childhood in England. For shame.

And half? As in 7 of the 14 who will likely play? The Stan teams in 2007 had 3 out of 14 who would take to the field who were English born (Carsley, Reid and one other, I remember counting just cant remember who I am omitting.). Currently we have Folan and Kiely prob making the bench, and Reid when he gets back. Considering some European sides are going with shady arrangements like drafting Brazillian league players we have the moral highpoint on this one. It is a fact of life that nearly every country that in recent decades was a large exporter of immigrants will have children of those migrants in their squad, we are not unique. Turkey, Morocco, Algeria, Carribean countries, even England and Germany have granny rulers (Hargreaves, Kuryani)

None of them live in Ireland.

So feckin what? Would you be shocked and appaled to find one of your teams best players actually lives in Kildare?
    The management isnt Irish.

Who the **** cares? The Irish managers got to fcuk all tournaments. The LOI has a few foreign players, directors (Nick Leeson, the El Tel of E.L :) ) and at least one manager if memory serves me right. If your club had a foreign manager and a squad composed of a few foreigners and Irish out of towners would it make it less legit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Load of f*****g bollocks.

shane86 wrote: »
    Most of the best national French players dont play in France, or will be on the move within a year.

And you'll find most fans of French clubs don't give a toss about their national team.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

dont turn this into another LOI /EPL Irish fans thing, having a showpiece event in Ireland is a positive no matter how we look at it and because its so rare that i can id like to say the FAI have done a very good job by getting us this.

This will sell out no matter what and could include some really big teams especially when you consider that just from england Villa, Spurs and City are in it atm and by 2011 could be joined/replaced by the current big4 sides. Add to that Italy, Spain etc and teams that drop from the champions league, honestly the chances are we would be hosting some top class players that night and the question of how it would look if two eastern european teams for example were in the final is one likely to never be answered imo.

What would happen if a team like Rangers were in the final is an interesting one but the answer should not be a reason to not want the game but instead perhaps one that (could have already been answered in applying for such a role as hosts) means we should just address security issues and in doing so pave the way for other such games such as a intenational vs England. On the flipside what if Celtic made it to the final? would there be trouble? would it be a great piss-up? would they see it as almost a home game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This will sell out no matter what and could include some really big teams especially when you consider that just from england Villa, Spurs and City are in it atm and by 2011 could be joined/replaced by the current big4 sides. ?

LoL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And you'll find most fans of French clubs don't give a toss about their national team.....

my god some people on here...:rolleyes:

Its great news for Ireland and the FAI.

redout wrote: »
    LoL

think of how many Arsenal, Liverpool or to a much lesser extent Chelsea fans there are here, in three years time its very concievable that Villa, Spurs or most likely Man City will be in the CL instead of one of them. Id also think that should any club that big be in the Europa league they would be in it to win it, def believing they are the best team in it (perhaps like AC Milan this year), and obviously the participation of such a team or a top spanish, Italien or CL drop-out side good enough to get to the final by beating them would make it a real spectacle to host, promote, go to etc... but thats kinda going off topic

again (cos you dont get to say it much) good job FAI, Even though id prefer to see them win the CL gottta say it would be great to see Villa win the Europa league in Lansdowne :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully City can continue to perform well in the Fair Play league to qualify for the competition.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hopefully City can continue to perform well in the Fair Play league to qualify for the competition.

in 2011 im sure you City fans will have bigger ambitions than getting to the europa league final in Dublin via the fair play league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

in 2011 im sure you City fans will have bigger ambitions than getting to the europa league final in Dublin via the fair play league

Yep, like getting out of the Championship.:)

joe123 wrote: »
    my god some people on here...:rolleyes:

I state a fact. Problem with it? :rolleyes:
    joe123 wrote: »
    Its great news for Ireland and the FAI.

Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

UEFA Cup finals since it went to one game finals. Clearly you could be lucky ot unlucky regarding "big name" teams in the final, but I'm sure it'll be a good occasion.

1998 Internazionale 3–0 Lazio
    1999 Parma 3–0 Marseille
    2000 Galatasaray 0–0 Arsenal
    2001 Liverpool 5–4 Alavés
    2002 Feyenoord 3–2 Borussia Dortmund
    2003 Porto 3–2 Celtic
    2004 Valencia 2–0 Marseille
    2005 CSKA Moscow 3–1 Sporting CP
    2006 Sevilla 4–0 Middlesbrough
    2007 Sevilla 2–2 RCD Espanyol
    2008 Zenit Saint Petersburg 2–0 Rangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

will be a good final regardless of who is in it, great news for irish sport. probably would be best if an english or glasgow team wasnt in it though to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Great news for the country and for the FAI.

I hope they are 2 good teams but badly supported teams in the final which will make tickets easier to get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Good for the game here but there will be trouble and possibly violence if any of the following teams get to the final

Rangers
    Hearts
    Dundee
    Linfield
    Glentoran
    Portadown

and ANY English club

because a lot of people in Ireland
    - hate protestants
    - hate the English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

- hate protestants
    - hate the English

Thanks for pointing that out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

All England bashing aside I think we should definetly invite them over for a friendly prior to the 2011 final so that we can test security, evacuation proceedures, seating strength and acoustics (ie booing our anthem) of the new stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

To test out the booing we could just invite a team with a Rangers player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Des wrote: »
    To test out the booing we could just invite a team with a past Rangers player.

FIXED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

Des wrote: »
    To test out the booing we could just invite a team with a Rangers player.

doesnt even have to have played with rangers des, get any player who sounds like he played for rangers and we can boo him too. worked a treat in lansdowne before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

- hate protestants
    - hate the English

Huh ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

back on topic. I'm not convinced this Europa Final will happen at Lansdowne because when the stadium is finished, the inspector folks at UEFA will say 'where the fook is the stand behind the goal gone ?'

Good for the game here but there will be trouble and possibly violence if any of the following teams get to the final

Rangers
    Hearts
    Dundee
    Linfield
    Glentoran
    Portadown

and ANY English club

- hate protestants
    - hate the English

I've been on holiday since 1150 AD, did I miss something?

Pal wrote: »
    back on topic. I'm not convinced this Europa Final will happen at Lansdowne because when the stadium is finished, the inspector folks at UEFA will say 'where the fook is the stand behind the goal gone ?'

LOL, I go by Lansdowne on the train every day, the building work so far looks very, very impressive. They've just attached the side stanchions of the lower end to the frame of the main stands, the sweep down is actually very, very distinctive looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This will be great for local businesses! Looking forward to it, might even buy myself some tickets, no matter who's playing. It will be momentous for Ireland. If this goes well, give it 5 years for a Champions League Final.

And to any who says Irish hate the English, you're kidding me? Rugby match at Croker went very well. How many Irish people support teams in the Premier League? We've moved on. We're over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yes, every Celtic loving twat in the country is over it. Wouldn't boo Peter Lovenkrands if he wasn't even on the pitch they wouldn't. Oh, hold on a sec...

• Advertisement
Advertisement