Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any guitarists here play Guitar Hero??

• 29-01-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Im kinda half interested in getting the Metallica Guitar hero game for the XBOX but im a bit afraid I wont like it because I play guitar anyway and im wondering will I think its lame....

Any guitarists out there played any of the guitar heros??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I played it, or at least tried, and just hated it. It's nothing like playing a guitar, and you may even be a disadvantage at first, because you'll be trying to play it like one. It's just a matter of hitting buttons at the right time. Save yourself money and buy Bop-It and a Metallica album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Iv played guitar for nearly 12 years, guitar hero rocks. people say it dosent give you an advantage being able to play guitar but i think it does , id get rock band instead as youl get more fun out of the drums if you dont get the guitar, metalica have some songs in rock band aswell.......i think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I play guitar, or at least a close approximation of playing it, I still suck. Have to say it's nothing like playing a real guitar but it still rocks. It's a great game especially if you like the music. No substitution for the real thing but when you want to feel like a rock star it's great to fire up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It is and it isn't. I've played guitar since I was 15 yet I love the hero. There's a certain snobbery when it comes to GH from "real musicians". The old "Do you play real guitar"? and when I say "Yes", there's the inevitable "why do you play that ****e then"?

Why do people play FIFA or PES? Same thing to me.

Back to the difference though, the hard and expert difficulties are far more close to playing the real thing than most would admit. Remembering shapes, adjusting your fingers ready for what's next etc. is very much like playing chords on a guitar.

It's great for timing and learning that playing subtle guitar parts in a song properly makes all the difference over just banging out chords as loud as possible.

Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i've been a guitarist and bassist for half my life and i'm afraid to play it on anything other then the easy setting.....who the hell comes up with these patterns???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i've been a guitarist and bassist for half my life

So you been playing them about an hour then :D:D

I play guiter (badly) and loved the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

i played drums for a while and turned to bass when i was about 14/15, so for the last 6ish years ive been jumping between bass and guitar and finally bought one about 3 years ago.
    I bought GH2 for the ps2 when it came out after messing about on it in gamestop and loved it because it was different and new, gave a new lease of life to playing "music" games.
    (parrapa the rapper or whatever it was called).

but it started to get stale..

Then i got a 360, got GH3, but it was still stale.
    You would cycle through songs and just unlock them only to be able to play your mate in quickplay.

Then rockband came and brought with it a much needed jump leads to re-start the genre.
    Then there was options.

"Hey, wanna play rockband?
    --
    Ok i'm on drums, and you sing"

So now everyone likes it.

But back on topic and i can understand at first guitarists were negative towards GH when it was Guitar-based only, but now i dont get it..

Its a party game now. And a really good one at that.

Will GH:Metallica have drums?

**edit**

Scratch that..

Just seen wiki and it states:
    The game is based on Guitar Hero World Tour, with support for lead and bass guitar, drums, and vocals.

Now im interested even more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm a big fan of Guitar Hero; but for me, being able to play the real thing is a bit of a disadvantage, especially when it comes to a song I'd play a lot on the real thing. Sure you'll have better finger dexterity and strength, but sometimes i'll find that the button positions conflict with my natural instincts for the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

i played drums for a while and turned to bass when i was about 14/15, so for the last 6ish years ive been jumping between bass and guitar and finally bought one about 3 years ago.
    I bought GH2 for the ps2 when it came out after messing about on it in gamestop and loved it because it was different and new, gave a new lease of life to playing "music" games.
    (parrapa the rapper or whatever it was called).

but it started to get stale..

Then i got a 360, got GH3, but it was still stale.
    You would cycle through songs and just unlock them only to be able to play your mate in quickplay.

Then rockband came and brought with it a much needed jump leads to re-start the genre.
    Then there was options.

"Hey, wanna play rockband?
    --
    Ok i'm on drums, and you sing"

So now everyone likes it.

But back on topic and i can understand at first guitarists were negative towards GH when it was Guitar-based only, but now i dont get it..

Its a party game now. And a really good one at that.

Will GH:Metallica have drums?

**edit**

Scratch that..

Just seen wiki and it states:

Now im interested even more..

AND, you can get a double bass pedal peripheral. Apparently, there are some parts that are just solid blocks of colour because of the insane speed. THAT would be incredible.

I've been playing bass for about seven years and yeah, I do think it makes a difference. Initially, you'll over compensate (especially with songs you already know how to play on "REAL" guitar) and be more elaborate than you have to. But you start learning the patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I too play guitar and think all of them are great.

Rock Band 2 is fantastic, such a fun game.

I also found that it introduces you to bands you'd never ordinarily listen to.

Never heard a Dream Theatre song or Rush song before GH and Rock Band. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

It's bit like comparing COD4 to actually shooting someone in the head with a sniper rifle. You're using a plastic controller!

It's just a game and a fun one at that. I play the guitar and even play some Metallica stuff. I can't wait for the game to come out because it's gonna be fun.

Never shot anyone......

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Hmmm im not convinced. I can play most of Metallicas stuff anyway and id probably start blasting into a solo on the little plastic guitar :D

Might rent one out and give it a try though.Thanks for the input guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 John Sheehy

guitar hero is nothing like playing a guitar

it's just pressing buttons in time with on screen icons, nothing more, nothing less. pretty good fun.

smooch71 wrote: »
    It's bit like comparing COD4 to actually shooting someone in the head with a sniper rifle. You're using a plastic controller!

thats a pretty sweet analogy.

But one problem..

When you play any COD game, you dont get a AK47 shaped controller..:p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Frogger doesnt make you a jaywalker and Pacman wont make you obese...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Frogger doesnt make you a jaywalker and Pacman wont make you obese...

I can disagree to the second one! :P

I have another...
    Playing mario wont turn you into a plumber italian
    and
    Playing Sonic the Hedgehog wont turn you into a blue rocket of a spikey critter who collects rings with his two tailed fox friend all the time closing in on his egg-shaped doctor nemesis..

Ok i took that too far. Wow, so this is over-tired.
    I think my work is done here.:o

G'night everybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

looking to get rock band (game only) anyone know of the best place to pick it up?

duploelabs wrote: »
    looking to get rock band (game only) anyone know of the best place to pick it up?

On the 360?

Rockband 1
    Argos @ €59.99
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5660081/Trail/searchtext%3EROCK+BAND.htm

Rockband 2
    Off the HMV site who ships to ireland @ £39.99 or:
    39.99 GBP

=

44.2643 EUR

United Kingdom Pounds Euro 1 GBP = 1.10688 EUR 1 EUR = 0.903437 GBP

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=835976

Or RB1

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=747135

Hope that helps. :)

On a side note.
    Smyths are selling Rockband Full band bundles for all formats for only €99.99 now.
    http://www.toys.ie/Band-in-a-Box-PS3-X360-PS2--Wii-!F00066-prod.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

thats a pretty sweet analogy.

But one problem..

When you play any COD game, you dont get a AK47 shaped controller..:p

Touche

Having said that, you can get a piece of white plastic for the Wii that (with some imagination) sort of looks like a gun.

An AK47 controller would be sweet though...

smooch71 wrote: »
    Touche

Having said that, you can get a piece of white plastic for the Wii that (with some imagination) sort of looks like a gun.

An AK47 controller would be sweet though...

Like Duck Hunt on crack!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WoodyNightshade

I have been playing guitar forever and am pretty good if I do say so myself. Anyway my mate had a DS with some sort of guitar hero thing and a 4 button system of playing. ''I suppose having calluses doesn't help?'' I asked him, ''No''. Anyway he did some ridiculously fast metal song and got near the high score, buttons clacking. I tried that song from shrek and got about 106 points out of 15,000.

Anyway later on in the week we went to Music Maker and tore him apart with the real thing. Oh so satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I have been playing guitar forever and am pretty good if I do say so myself. Anyway my mate had a DS with some sort of guitar hero thing and a 4 button system of playing. ''I suppose having calluses doesn't help?'' I asked him, ''No''. Anyway he did some ridiculously fast metal song and got near the high score, buttons clacking. I tried that song from shrek and got about 106 points out of 15,000.

Anyway later on in the week we went to Music Maker and tore him apart with the real thing. Oh so satisfying.

The guitar hero ds game is terrible,strumming properly is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

just seen Stevie Ray Vaughans "Texas Flood" up on the live marketplace for rockband, how cool is that, finally some songs I actually wanna play

Advertisement