Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a horse

Options
  • 29-01-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, I am thinking of buying a first horse for my daughter and am trying to get a feel for how much I need to pay. I have been looking at a few websites such as donedeal, horsetrader and the range is very variable. I appreciate it depends on what we require.
    She is 13yrs, riding for 5 years, can walk,trot,canter,gallop, jump to 90cm. tall for her age 5ft9i. She would like to hack, start cross county, join pony club do some shows. Also based on her height I guess she would need 15h horse/pony.
    Any pointers?
    Bewilded??
    I would also consider horse sharing, North Kildare area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

If your daughter is 13 and wants to compete then a pony is your best option - especially if she wants to jump as there are age and height combination requirements (check out the SJAI website for details). ? these may apply in pony club competitions also - but its been a while so I can't remember details.

Having said that it's completely up to yourself as to what you get, for a first horse/pony I'd go for something fairly steady. Top class first ponies or those that are well known as all round pony club ponies go for big money, but there are perfectly good all-rounders out there for a couple of grand. I would recommend getting someone you know to go to see a couple of horses/ponies with you. Set your own budget and then look for something in that range that suits your daughter - remember also that they are not cheap to keep if you don't have your own facilities so factor this in to your budget.

Personally I would think that 5k is an expensive animal and would be looking for a decent all rounder for 2.5k for myself. But thats me. I know a lot of people that wouldn't think twice about paying 10k for an all rounder and multiples of that if they want to compete.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Be sure the horse has a passport, will vet sound, also most people with a good pony WON'T let you take it on trial, but ask if she can try it there. Some children I know got ponies from here and have been v happy, as <snip> seems to be an honest horse seller (RARE!!)

http://www.irishsportequine.com/

I rang her when looking for a horse for myself, two on the site that looked great, which, they were, but she said as I have slight problems with my legs that she would not sell either to me as she wanted to look out for something that would suit me better, I as gobsmacked, as I had people try to sell me the maddest baddest horses they had, with no consideration for my problems !!

Also try posting an ad on donedeal.ie but be wary of the kind of people I just mentioned, one guy tried to sell my an ex-point to pointer that "should be grand in the arena,if you lunge him for 20 mins first but doesn't like cars!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Hey I am also in the north kildare area and am considering horse sharing? Its not for definite as my mum wants me to research and price it all first before she says yes to it. Ohh and I am about the same height as your daughter so a tall horse would be good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thetonkatoy

yes, as you say your daughter is 5'9 then she is not going to suit a pony, your best bet is to get something more 16hh, slighter older around 10+ that has been out there and done a bit of everything, you should pick up something for around the 2.5k or less, depending on the quality of the animal. i am in north kildare, so will keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm 5ft 10" so defintaly a 16+hh would suit best as she will grow out of a smaller horse. You can get a decent horse for under 3000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bunyip123

Hi there, i am thinking about buying later in the year, and this post got me thinking....probably a stupid question...but I'm an adult 5"5 and i wonder is it daft/stupid/unfair to buy a pony? Are they ok to carry adults?
    this is a bit of an odd question considering i do ride ponies in lessons, but i'm just wondering from the point of owning one, the pony would be stuck with me full time, would it manage ok? (RS ponies are getting kids/adults mix)
    What hh should i be looking at? I'm 8 stone.

Thanks for your help, sorry for the odd Q. I'm new to the 'purchasing' thoughts but riding about 15 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

No problem i would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There should be no problem at all in you buying a pony rather than a horse. There are lots of people who do this. For example, when I sold my 14.2 pony years ago, we sold her to a 14 year old girl. When she was doing her exams, her mother decided to take up riding again, joined the local riding club and had a great time with the pony. She's still competing with her, years later!

The other option for you would be to buy a small, lightish horse around 15-15.2hh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

youll have no problem picking up a horse in north kildare for easy money, place is full of them!!!!!!

id suggest to get her a cob, i had 1 as my 1st pony and nothing at all fazes them!!! mine tought nothing of trotting along a main road with lorrys passing on both sides yet she still had enough 'go' in her to bring her hunting where i could actually fire her at any sort of a jump!!!!!!!!

if ya get the pony try n get 1 that has done a good bit of everything e.g. hunting etc

Advertisement