Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is my ISP????

Options
  • 29-01-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently returned from BT to Eircom for my broadband. I received a netopia router from Eircom but although it worked on the desktop it wouldn't allow the laptop connect over wifi.
    After much troubleshooting by Eircom they are sending a new router out to me. However, BT are insisting that they are providing my internet.
    Rang Eircom and the insist it's them since Jan 23rd.
    I have now rang each co a total of 3 times and they both insist they are the isp and are both planning on billing me. when I mention the other company they say "I'm loking at it here, we are definately supplying your internet. Ring the other co and explain"

Eircom even told me to ring comreg.
    How can I verify who my isp is?

Thanks

Jarvis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Go to www.whatismyip.com. Copy your IP address. Go to ripe.net. Put your IP address into the database search. It will tell you which company registered your IP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your laptop not connecting to your router has got nothing at all to do with your isp.

What password and sign on are you using to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

dub45 wrote: »
    Your laptop not connecting to your router has got nothing at all to do with your isp.

What password and sign on are you using to connect?

Logging in as xxxxx@btbb
    and password.

I know its nothing to do with the wireless but it's bugging me that they both claim to be my isp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

kc66 wrote: »
    Go to www.whatismyip.com. Copy your IP address. Go to ripe.net. Put your IP address into the database search. It will tell you which company registered your IP.

ripe says BT.
    is this normally accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If your login is xxxx@btbb and it works then you are with BT.

If it was xxxx@eircom.net then it would be eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jarvis wrote: »
    Logging in as xxxxx@btbb
    and password.

I know its nothing to do with the wireless but it's bugging me that they both claim to be my isp.

That username puts you with BT, and they will keep billing you. You need to change the username and password, I think eircom's are all the same as "eircomnet" or something like that.

The way the bitstream resellers are identified by eircom, is using that name and password. As long as you're using @btbb, you're a BT customer.

eircom may be expecting you back, and you may now be paying line rental to them, but until you change that to the eircom name and password, your broadband will be with BT.

Ring eircom to confirm what name and password you should use, or maybe someone here can confirm it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jor el wrote: »
    That username puts you with BT, and they will keep billing you. You need to change the username and password, I think eircom's ..........................

Ring eircom to confirm what name and password you should use, or maybe someone here can confirm it.[/QUOTE]

From [url]www.eircom.net:[/url]

Incoming Mail Server
    (New Webmail users):
    webmail.eircom.net

Incoming Mail Server
    (Webmail Classic users):
    mail1.eircom.net

Outgoing Mail Server:
    mail1.eircom.net

Mail Server Type:
    POP3

more settings