Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Extra Subject Outside School?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing Geography as 8th Subject for LC..Could i just buy the book and study at home??How / Where would I hand up coursework??Could i just skip the coursework and miss out on the 20%??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

are you doing the leaving in 2009 or 2010 because there's a deadline (could be pretty soon) for applying to the department to enter for an extra subject. I assume you are doing the leaving in 2010 because it's a big course.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

pathway33 wrote: »
    are you doing the leaving in 2009 or 2010 because there's a deadline (could be pretty soon) for applying to the department to enter for an extra subject. I assume you are doing the leaving in 2010 because it's a big course.
    yes, i am doing the LC in 2010.. how would i apply to do an extra subject?I thought they just sent around a sheet to order test papers for the subjects you need?

stainluss wrote: »
    yes, i am doing the LC in 2010.. how would i apply to do an extra subject?I thought they just sent around a sheet to order test papers for the subjects you need?

oh yeah in your case you just add geography onto the sheet i guess. I was thinking of doing it as an external subject. The form for that is on www.examinations.ie .

as regards the project i don't know. With biology and physics the practicals book can be inspected by the department doing random checks so you might have to do it. i've been no help at all redface.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

oh yeah in your case you just add geography onto the sheet i guess. I was thinking of doing it as an external subject. The form for that is on www.examinations.ie .

as regards the project i don't know. With biology and physics the practicals book can be inspected by the department doing random checks so you might have to do it. i've been no help at all redface.gif

you have i know where the form is now!:D

stainluss wrote: »
    you have i know where the form is now!:D

i'm not sure if that form is for you. I think that's if you are doing all of your subjects outside school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i'm not sure if that form is for you. I think that's if you are doing all of your subjects outside school.

This is correct.

The OP should apply through his/her school/college/centre next year.
    He/she must then get arrange a schedule for practical work and get a teacher to sign off on it. This is a legally binding document and is not taken lightly by the SEC.

If a candidate misses out on any element of an exam their grade gets published on their results with an asterisk beside it, indicating a supplemental report.

OP - why you want to do eight subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

geography is a bit of a dodgy one to do on your own. You have to learn how to answer the questions and theres the field study as well thats worth 20%.

it is doable to do on your own but id talk to your schools geography teacher about how to go about answering the questions and studying it. You should go with them on the field study too to save yourself the trouble of doing it on your own.

Good luck with it though, and if your having any problems with the subject, give me a pm and ill help you with it

Advertisement