Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goat question

• 29-01-2009 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello all ,
    I am having a crack at becoming self sufficient as far as possible this year and next. I was told that keeping dairy goats is "relatively" simple ... just how simple is "relative" ??! I have plenty of exp with animal husbandry being raised in farming environment til I was 16. What is the easiest breed to keep ? I have 3/4 of an acre and I am wondering if this is enough to graze 2 goats on per year(supplimenting hay/grain over winter) ? Do they require better fencing than standard sheep wire ? Is it safe to have them among orchard trees - will they munch the trees ? Any tips/ advice will be taken onboard. No panic on the info I am currently clearing the "field" - more of a large garden to be fair - as its been overgrown for 25+ years and my neighbour reckons he hasn't seen grass there since 78 for all the briars :D ...
    I'll be popping up here regularly as I'm picking up a polytunnel this year also, and doing a bee-keeping course in Feb, and hopefully getting a couple of goats so I'll be back to pick yer brains !
    Kind regards,
    Martin.
    PS thanks Shane for your help earlier, the problem seems to have been a gremlin and is now gone posting is woring fine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Pinkster

Goats are not exactly relatively simple-I could type pages about them. my mother has kept them for years. If you put them in an orchard the first thing they will do is munch your trees. They will eat all shrubs, hedges, trees... before the grass as they are naturally browsers not grazers. Electric fencing is the only thing that will keep them in, they will eventually push their way through sheep wire. As for breeds the Saanan's (white goats) are usually the best dairy goats. They will also need shelter as they do not like being out in the rain. Keep them well away from the polytunnels as they will chew holes in them. You know the saying goats will eat anything-they might try it but they are extremely fussy when it comes to food. Best of luck with then if you decide to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Many tether them for these reasons. Mine used to leap the fence and scare the traffic.. and herd other folks' sheep

Previously she had been attached to an old garden roller, which heer owner said gave her freedom of movement but kept her within fences.

We would rather tether than use electric fencing.

We enjoyed keeping a goat and the milk was beautiful. But yes, care indeed.
    Pinkster wrote: »
    Goats are not exactly relatively simple-I could type pages about them. my mother has kept them for years. If you put them in an orchard the first thing they will do is munch your trees. They will eat all shrubs, hedges, trees... before the grass as they are naturally browsers not grazers. Electric fencing is the only thing that will keep them in, they will eventually push their way through sheep wire. As for breeds the Saanan's (white goats) are usually the best dairy goats. They will also need shelter as they do not like being out in the rain. Keep them well away from the polytunnels as they will chew holes in them. You know the saying goats will eat anything-they might try it but they are extremely fussy when it comes to food. Best of luck with then if you decide to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Goats dont really eat grass, they eat the dock leaves, thistle heads etc in a meadow but not the grass.I wont put them in with apple trees either, they love to eat bark. i use sheep fencing and i have never had a problem. I would be very very very fusy about the goats you'd buy as there are very few good quality one available here.A lot of dairy farmers have to import there stock from england.

Where are you based? I could show you our set up. it would give you an idea of wants involved

Advertisement