Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletroy Park Hotel to close and Marriott Hotel Limerick looks for new operator.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

bad news..........sorry for all affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Disappointing news for Limericks hotel sector from todays Limerick Leader
    Castletroy Park Hotel on the brink as rescue package fails
    Published Date: 29 January 2009
    By Anne Sheridan
    BUSINESS sources have disclosed that rescue attempts to save the Castletroy Park Hotel have failed, and that the hotel, which opened in 1991, is due to close this Thursday.
    Earlier a spokesperson for the company had said that 130 staff at the company would learn this Friday of whether the four-star hotel is to close.

The newspaper also reports that over 40 couples who booked their wedding receptions are likely to lose their deposits. In addition a sister company, that runs the Marriott hotel in Limerick city centre, has given up it's lease of the hotel. So the Marriott hotel owners are currently looking for another hotel operator to manage it. Overall it's gloomy news for the hospitality sector in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged. I kept Oracle's thread title because it was more informative.

Of course good idea, I hadn't even read that thread, I thought it was probably about the banks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sad to hear it but something had to give building the amount of hotels they've built here in the past few years is one of the daftest things i've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a bad burn for those losing their deposits. The Marriot is a really striking building in the City Centre, I'd hate to see it close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

was very saddened to hear the castletroy park was closing...very sudden imo. As for the Marriott, I'd hate to see that place go too...fabulous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I feel bad for the staff.

The receivers will have to refund the wedding bookings as they are not creditors in the eyes of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 clicks

i love the castleroy though!!! (cries)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pooh087

i am so upset my wedding was booked for the castletroy park in june i went ot the hotel tues when the news broke and they swear it was ok be be fine refure to give me back myu money gave me a dumb latter stating that htey wouldnt pay me this is a joke my partner is also working in dell and will finish up there in july i have rang 18 hotels today and the 27th isnt available what am i to do i have cryed my heart out they have wrecked my dream wedding where do i go from there any one any advice for me am i the only one upset

• Advertisement

Thats awful news, pooh087. I can understand your devastation.

I suggest asking over in the Weddings and Marriage forum. I'm sure a similar situation has come up there before, and they should be able to offer you some advice. Fingers crossed it works out for you.

More here, pooh087. They are saying there that if you paid by credit card, you may be able to get your money back through the credit card company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pooh087

paid in cash they really pushed the cash issues. thanks for you works of kindness its really what i needed rite now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Berty wrote: »
    I feel bad for the staff.

The receivers will have to refund the wedding bookings as they are not creditors in the eyes of the law.

Actually your wrong. They will only get there money back if all the companies creditors have been paid and there is money left over. The money owed is given back in this order. The people who paid money for weddings etc are Unsecured creditors.

1) Fixed charge holders
    2) Expenses of the winding up
    3) Preferential creditors (Revenue, wages and salaries)
    4) Floating charge holder
    5) Unsecured creditors
    6) Members of the company

The FCH gets what he's owed. Then it moves down the list. Say for example the FCH is owed 100,000 and the company is only worth 80,000 then the FCH gets 80,000 and everybody else on the list gets nothing.

Now the people who paid for wedding functions can sue, but they would be entitled to money only if the Castletroy Park Hotel went into debt due to negligence on their part.

I'm sorry to say this, but I worry for anybody who paid for any sort of function in Castletroy Park Hotel. But hey, it might all work out. The company may be able to pay everybody back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

pooh087 wrote: »
    i am so upset my wedding was booked for the castletroy park in june i went ot the hotel tues when the news broke and they swear it was ok be be fine refure to give me back myu money gave me a dumb latter stating that htey wouldnt pay me this is a joke my partner is also working in dell and will finish up there in july i have rang 18 hotels today and the 27th isnt available what am i to do i have cryed my heart out they have wrecked my dream wedding where do i go from there any one any advice for me am i the only one upset

Firstly, I am not being unsympathetic, but your dream wedding is not ruined. There is a glitch, that is all. My sister was in a similar situation. She had booked here wedding for New Years Eve in a 5 star hotel in Kerry almost two years before the date. When, about 12 months out, they want back to the hotel to iron out details the manager in the hotel had changed and so had all the details & prices of the wedding package. It did not seem to matter to the hotel that they had paid a deposit for a different package. After many long decisions they made the decision to change venue about 9 mths out as the hotels attitude was so bad. Needless to say the hotel refused to give the deposit back. Long story short, they went to the small claims court and got the cash back.

They tried & tried to get New Years Eve somewhere else but everywhere was booked. They had had their hearts set on a 'black tie ring in the new year' wedding. Eventually they found a hotel in Macroom for the 28th, the Castle. They management were wonderful, they could not do enough. It was so far removed from the experience in Kerry. The weekend of the wedding was great; the hotel didn’t screw them on the room charges so most guests stayed for 2, if not 3, nights. What a party.

What I am trying to say, is that though the situation is different, and you may loose money, you dream wedding is not ruined. You have suffered a number of setbacks but that isn’t to say you won’t have a fantastic day. Maybe this will have a silver lining. With your fiancé being let go from Dell it is the perfect opportunity to scale back, maybe find a more family style hotel, fewer guests and cut back costs. I know you will probably loose the deposit, which is a blow, but try not to let this ruin the magic & the real meaning of your wedding day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah or you could **** the hotels and plan your own wedding, Throw up a marquee, get caterers in and a band/dj and have a great wedding!!

Well said, Tom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I'm just wondering, yesterday I drove past the hotel and there were 6 fire engines outside the hotel. I know taxi drivers are generally full of ****e, but one told my girlfriend that the hotel went up on fire and suggested some of the people that the hotel owe money to did it. It could also have been done by the owner as an insurance scam.
    Anyway, is there any truth in this?

Also, I was in the gym on wednesday night in there and there's a very nice lad there who was telling me the going rates for membership. I don't think any of the lower staff had a clue what was going on. I don't even think they knew their jobs were in any sort of trouble. scary stuff. Its a pity that place is shut because that was by far the best gym in the city. nice and quiet and very relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Best wishes to those who have lost their jobs in seeking alternative employment

Bad news about the Marriot if it is true. It certainly says something; the Hilton gone and then the Marriot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Its lousy alright. but in fairness, there was a big hotel boom suddenly in Limerick and I don't know why! there is nothing to do here. The only thing there is is thomand park. No wonder they're shutting down. I heard about 2 months ago that the absolute hotel are making massive losses and although its meant to be a lovely hotel... it's not going to last either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Just wondering is the Bar in the Marriott still open now? it's a nice place for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I know of one person who was planning their wedding there in 3 months or so, paid a deposit but signed no contract. The tact his taking with the credit card company on advice from his solicitor is to say he gave out the credit card details as security and never actually authorised any charge, never signed a contract and will refuse payment when the bill comes. So far the credit card company seem to be receptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

can someone turn the lights off on the way out????

i am out of his country in september, its getting really bad, how long is a huge building like that just going to sit there idle??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RINO87 wrote: »
    can someone turn the lights off on the way out????

i am out of his country in september, its getting really bad, how long is a huge building like that just going to sit there idle??

They've hired 24hr security to protect it so it could be a while.

I'd love to break in and have a massive rave for my 18th. :p

Think they'd rent it out to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hell..they'll probably sell it to you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

way off topic here, but do you think anyone would rent out those big empty units in the retail parks for a party?? i'd be interested in getting one and running an event there.
    i mean if you show em you have proper security arranged etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RINO87 wrote: »
    way off topic here, but do you think anyone would rent out those big empty units in the retail parks for a party?? i'd be interested in getting one and running an event there.
    i mean if you show em you have proper security arranged etc.

No

There's also a large number of members of the Castletroy Park Hotel Health & Fitness Club who now cannot use the facilities. Many will already have paid the annual membership fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Oracle wrote: »
    There's also a large number of members of the Castletroy Park Hotel Health & Fitness Club who now cannot use the facilities. Many will already have paid the annual membership fee.

I know yeah.
    My neighbours was up next monday. :p

They came in while she was in the pool and just told her to leave. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement