Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the bitter truth about Brussel sprouts

• 29-01-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

We know sprouts are good for us but the very compounds that give them their health-boosting benefits make them utterly detestable for some people.

From The Times
    December 20, 2008

Why do they taste bitter?

Known as glucosinolates (which include sinigrin, progoitrin and glucobrassicin), these bitter-tasting plant chemicals are designed to put off peckish predators because while you may not want to eat sprouts, sprouts do not want to be eaten either, hence they have developed these weapons of self-defence.

But some people adore sprouts

The reason why some people love sprouts is probably on account of genetic variations in our taste perceptions, researchers say. Scientists are able to test these by getting people to taste a little piece of paper impregnated with tiny amounts of a chemical with a similar structure to those found in sprouts.

It's all in your taste buds

The scientists say that we can be divided into non-tasters, medium-tasters and super-tasters, and that the latter appear to have a higher density of taste buds than the other two groups. It is the super-tasters among us who steadfastly protest their dislike of sprouts, and quite often do not enjoy green tea, coffee, grapefruit juice and other cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage and broccoli, all of which share bitter-tasting undertones. The medium-tasters are those who do not like sprouts much, but manage to tolerate them on their one and only annual exposure at Christmas lunch. Non-tasters tuck in with gay abandon.

Spare a thought for women

It appears that the majority of super- tasters are women. This makes evolutionary sense given that women were the “gatherers” and foraged for berries and so on. Bitterness was a warning of toxicity in a food, which put women off trotting back to the cave with poisonous fare. With this in mind, it has made sense for industry to use “debittering” processes to make them more acceptable. This is where health experts and food companies differ. The former want more glucosinolates because they appear to have cancer-fighting powers, while the latter want fewer to make them more palatable. Given that you also get vitamin C, carotenes and folate from sprouts, the food industry may have a point.

Be kind to sprout-haters

However, no matter how engineered, super-tasters will detect bitter notes in this little vegetable. So this year, when promising to spread a little goodwill, start with the poor relative who gags at the sight of your sprouts. Pile his or her plate with extra carrots instead and save the sprouts for those who love them.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article5370265.ece

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I used to HATE sprouts until I tried this recipe, I defy any sprout hater to not find this delicious:

SMASHED BRUSSELS : (a.k.a. Bubble-to-be)
    2 tbsp butter
    6 thick rashers smoked streaky bacon, thinly sliced.
    1/2kg brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved.
    4 tbsp creme fraiche (though I used a mixture of double and soured.)
    1tbsp wholegrain or English mustard.
    3 spring onions, thinly sliced (though I used half of a red onion, chopped v small)
    salt and pepper.
    Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium heat and gently cook the bacon for 5 - 7 minutes until all the fat melts and the bacon begins to brown.
    Toss in the sprouts and give them a good roll round in the fat then pour in 300ml water, put on a lid
    and bring to a simmer.
    Immediately remove the lid and let most of the water simmer away, stirring occasionally. (this will take around 10 minutes), then turn off the heat.
    Mashing with a masher is best for a coarse, uneven, interesting texture.
    Stir in the creme fraiche, mustard and spring onions.
    Mix thoroughly and season to taste, then serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I adore sprouts!! Really like cabbage too!! HATE broccoli tho....... so0 what kind of a taster am i:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I adore sprouts!! Really like cabbage too!! HATE broccoli tho....... so0 what kind of a taster am i:confused:

You sound like a non-taster that maybe has unpleasant childhood memories of overcooked broccoli? :)
    "There may be genetic reasons why you gag on broccoli," Drewnowski says.
    If there is a genetic component to taste, "it's a very small factor," adds Ritva Butrum of the American Institute for Cancer Research in Washington, D.C. "A much bigger factor is the way foods have been introduced early in life," she says.

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc97/7_12_97/bob1.htm

Advertisement