Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with USB wifi adapter

Options
  • 29-01-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a MicroNext MN-WD542T so that I could connect my DS to my wireless router (which is WPA enabled). It's a USB wifi adapter that plugs into my laptop.

I installed it and the drivers perfectly, but although the signal bar appears on the bottom right, it cannot pick up any wireless networks like the manual suggests it should.

When I go into 'view available wireless networks', it says I should use Microsoft Wireless Zero configuration. When I activated this, the USB wifi adapter link doesn't appear as it should.

I'm not very knowledgeable tech-wise, so any help anybody could give would be great. I'm using the laptop as close to the router as possible, so it's not that i'm too far away!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is the wireless definitely enabled on the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

dub45 wrote: »
    Is the wireless definitely enabled on the router?

I'm not really sure, I'm really useless with the whole thing! Like the actual Netgear Router is enabled in the house and I can connect my laptop to the 'net no problem. It's just I can't connect my USB wifi adapter to that wireless connection on my laptop.

I keep saying this on here but it really is important to tell us as much as possible about the problem that you are having.

So could you please tell us exactly what you are trying to do with the usb adaptor if the laptop is having no problem connecting to the net.

As I keep pointing out without meaning to be sarcastic we are not mind readers on here.

dub45 wrote: »
    I keep saying this on here but it really is important to tell us as much as possible about the problem that you are having.

So could you please tell us exactly what you are trying to do with the usb adaptor if the laptop is having no problem connecting to the net.

As I keep pointing out without meaning to be sarcastic we are not mind readers on here.

Sorry, I'm just not sure what I should and shouldn't be doing.

Okay, so I followed the manual exactly, and I get to the point where the USB wireless adapter is installed. It then tells me to use Wireless Zero Configuration, which I then turned on according to the instructions on the Microsoft website. According to the manual, my USB adapter should then appear as one of the available wireless networks. It doesn't.

The manual isn't very explanatory, it just says to click on the MicroNext wireless network and you're connected. But what do I do when the USB doesn't show up as a wireless network?

Oakbark wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm just not sure what I should and shouldn't be doing.

Okay, so I followed the manual exactly, and I get to the point where the USB wireless adapter is installed. It then tells me to use Wireless Zero Configuration, which I then turned on according to the instructions on the Microsoft website. According to the manual, my USB adapter should then appear as one of the available wireless networks. It doesn't.

The manual isn't very explanatory, it just says to click on the MicroNext wireless network and you're connected. But what do I do when the USB doesn't show up as a wireless network?

Did you read my post at all? What exactly are you trying to do with the usb?

I am guessing here but if you are trying to create another wireless network via the usb that cant be done. However boards should not be about guesssing so if you want help will you for God's sake tell us what exactly you are trying to do by installing a wireless usb on a laptop that is already getting a wireless connection to the net?

• Advertisement

Well my objective is to connect my Nintendo DS to the internet. My wireless router is WPA enabled, and as it's shared among housemates I don't want to lower the security of the internet connection (The DS only works with WEP security, but my router/connection is WPA.

I bought the wireless USB as I want to connect my DS through the wireless USB connection, which I was told it can be used for. In other words, i want to bridge a connection from my router to my laptop to my DS via the USB wifi.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear but i don't know how else to explain it. It's fine if you can't help, and i'm sorry i can't be any more specific.

Well my objective is to connect my Nintendo DS to the internet. My wireless router is WPA enabled, and as it's shared among housemates I don't want to lower the security of the internet connection (The DS only works with WEP security, but my router/connection is WPA.

I bought the wireless USB as I want to connect my DS through the wireless USB connection, which I was told it can be used for. In other words, i want to bridge a connection from my router to my laptop to my DS via the USB wifi.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear but i don't know how else to explain it. It's fine if you can't help, and i'm sorry i can't be any more specific.

Well it has taken 7 posts and now you have told us exactly what you want to do.

From what I read on the net it appears that the official nintendo usb stick was intended to share an internet connection where the ds could not access the net directly itself:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/665/665128p1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_Connection

The problem is as you point out above that the ds only has the wireless 'b' standard and can only use wep security.

So what you want to do is share the internet connection of the laptop with the ds not set up another wireless network network. Point 5 in the link below explains it succinctly but thats in relation to a wired connection.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/feature.asp?t=how_to&c=701

Also are you sure that the usb adaptor you bought is intended to fulfill the same role as the official nintendo one?

dub45 wrote:
    Also are you sure that the usb adaptor you bought is intended to fulfill the same role as the official nintendo one?

Yes, i'm quite sure, that is the specific reason I bought the USB adapter. I just can't seem to make it work, I don't know how to act once the manual instructions fail.

I apologise for not being clearer in my first post, but I did state my objectives in that post. I recognise it's hard to help solve a problem when I can only relate so much information to you. Thanks for helping.

Yes, i'm quite sure, that is the specific reason I bought the USB adapter. I just can't seem to make it work, I don't know how to act once the manual instructions fail.

I apologise for not being clearer in my first post, but I did state my objectives in that post. I recognise it's hard to help solve a problem when I can only relate so much information to you. Thanks for helping.

It might be worth posting in one of the the Games forums to see if anyone has got this type of arrangment to work.

Advertisement