Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlusconi cracks a rape joke

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think he is probably no more chauvenist than others of his generation and essentially harmless.

From the title of the thread I was expecting something a bit more serious.

Financially he is supposedly corrput but seemingly the voters will forgive that for an ounce of charisma and comments like the above I would not expect would harm his electoral prospects too much. I think his attitude to immigration gets him labelled as xenophobic etc but there is no evidence to say that the people doing the labelling speak for the numbers of italians concerned at levels of immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dudess wrote: »
    Corrupt definitely. Racist/xenophobe - yes, he's clamped down on immigration, but does that actually make him a racist/xenophobe or just concerned about Italy being unable to provide for everyone who's there? Its economy is in pretty bad shape (although no thanks to his carry-on...)

He's put the army on the street because of lies being spread about gypsies, and is fingerprinting all gypsies in Italy, despite the EU being against it. That counts as xenophobic in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I heard he brought in legislation which excludes pinching buttocks as sexual harassment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I heard he brought in legislation which excludes pinching buttocks as sexual harassment
    Didn't some Italian guy get charged with '' ogling a girls breast's on the bus '' a few months back ? :eek:

Sarci bleu ( scuse my french)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

Morlar wrote: »
    I think he is probably no more chauvenist than others of his generation and essentially harmless.

Agreed. He was born in the 1930's when women were chained to the kitchen sink and were seen as an extension of their husband. He's merely a victim of these PC times. The equivalent of calling a black man a negro today. No offence was intended but it was in bad taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

phenomenon wrote: »
    He was born in the 1930's when women were chained to the kitchen sink and were seen as an extension of their husband.
    I think that's a slight exaggeration.

And when will people realise that Berlusconi actually LIKES when people go crazy over things he says? It just feeds the macho-billionaire image that gets him elected every time.

Ah Bertie, Burlusconi, Bush, Blair...what do they have in common?

They're all a bunch of buckin' bunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Dudess wrote: »
    People who think rape is always due to physical attraction are actually slow.

Yep. Rape is a power thing. I'd say that allot of rapists would sooner rape a woman than have consentual sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Brilliantly Funny, also a very astute move on his part to deflect attention from the fact that he IS putting a few hundred thousand Troops on the streets to impose martial law on the Italians, or more specificaly 'those Smelly workshy lying theiving Gyppos'.

great way to deflect attention, Bravo Mr Berlusconi and your Lizzzard handlers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Yep. Rape is a power thing. I'd say that allot of rapists would sooner rape a woman than have consentual sex.
    I've always heard that, and I always thought it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I even thought of starting a thread about it.

Most rapes are not violent (allot of them aren't even considered rape by the victim), but even those that are actually rape, the norm is that the rapist knows the victim, and the victim is drunk or on drugs. Most often its someone who has a thing for the victim, seeing an oppurtunity and telling themselves that their drunken kisses are genuine.
    The TV rape where a woman is dragged into a back-ally is very rare compared to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've always heard that, and I always thought it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I even thought of starting a thread about it.

Most rapes are not violent (allot of them aren't even considered rape by the victim), but even those that are actually rape, the norm is that the rapist knows the victim, and the victim is drunk or on drugs. Most often its someone who has a thing for the victim, seeing an oppurtunity

I'll end you there. It's a power thing or taking advantage, attraction is secondary really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I'll end you there. It's a power thing or taking advantage, attraction is secondary really.
    I've thought about this, and I'm pretty sure its really just guys wanting sex.

I've thought about this, and I'm pretty sure its really just guys wanting sex.

Yes, but not in the sense that me or you would want sex with a woman!

That's the best I can explain it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Rape is a power / domination thing .Womon on her own ,walking through a dimly lit street at night or a narrow passageway through a field ,plays right into hands of would be rapists.

Can tell I watch a lot of crimewatch .

Brilliantly Funny, also a very astute move on his part to deflect attention from the fact that he IS putting a few hundred thousand Troops on the streets to impose martial law on the Italians, or more specificaly 'those Smelly workshy lying theiving Gyppos'.

great way to deflect attention, Bravo Mr Berlusconi and your Lizzzard handlers

I would think there is some truth in the 1st paragraph.

Though he does tend to put his foot in it for no political reason whatsoever,

Most rapes are not violent (allot of them aren't even considered rape by the victim), but even those that are actually rape, the norm is that the rapist knows the victim, and the victim is drunk or on drugs. Most often its someone who has a thing for the victim, seeing an oppurtunity and telling themselves that their drunken kisses are genuine.

That would be a high percentage, often though they don't know the victim, don't know they are drunk and they see an easy victim.

Actually, ching ching!

Easy Victim is the common denominator.

Stranger, friend drunk/high, basically taking advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I love the fact people think Berlusconi is a loveable rogue. Imagine if Bertie had introduced a law, just as the Mahon tribunal was getting uncomfortable, that made it illegal for any of the major government ministers to stand trial.

The man is an expert in propaganda and things like this serve to help him in the long run as they deflect attention away from the murky aspect of Berlusconi's politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Silvio Berlusconi is not a loveable rogue.

a) he would definitely be Mussolini if he thought he'd get away with it.
    b) he's racist
    c) he's sexist
    d) he's just not a loveable rogue. He's more of a drunken uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Nobody anybody knows directly is a lovable rogue.

I think he's a lovable rogue because his decisions affect me in no way. Like the way you can joke about stalin, but not his western european equivalents. Cowboys are lovable rogues even though they screwed with the natives, murdered and ate meat because it was 150 years ago.

I'm not in Italy, therefore Berlusconi seems to be a lovable rogue.

Having said that, that just excuses him from the whole corruption thing. I don't think what he said was worth getting up in arms about and I like politicians who believe that nothing is sacred when it comes to jokes. They seem more real when their professionalism is s sham anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28842837/

I get what he was saying, and he's right, you can never prevent all rape, no matter how many guards you have, but talk about putting your foot in it.

He must have known that the media would just use this comment to .......

...criticise him.

Ah, the owl Alzeihmers' is setting in with Berlusconi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Karlusss wrote: »
    Silvio Berlusconi is not a loveable rogue.

a) he would definitely be Mussolini if he thought he'd get away with it.
    b) he's racist
    c) he's sexist
    d) he's just not a loveable rogue. He's more of a drunken uncle.

*High Five* Silvio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Rape is NEVER funny.

Unless it is AH and you are trying to up your thanks quota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

making sexist jokes hardly qualifies the man as being a "bad person"

neither does coming down hard on the wandering scumbag gypsies that are plagueing europe at the moment

i wish someone in our govt had the balls to clean up all the romanain gypsies that spend their days here robbing and stealing or at best case begging

Advertisement