Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes - Asda

Options
  • 29-01-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭

Is it another rumour or has Dunnes finally owned up to being sold off to Asda/Walmart?

Perhaps a Dunnes employee can spill the beans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

There's been a rumour going around for months and months, with the latest spin being that someone's seen a box of George clothes in a Dunnes warehouse with the labels ripped out. I'm hearing lots of "my friend who works in Dunnes says", but since Dunnes are so tight-lipped it's impossible to get a comment out of them.

The only way we're going to find out for sure is when it happens for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Well i read it in the paper, so that means it MUST be true ;)

But seriously, I wouldnt be surprised. My local dunnes used to be 24hr, 3 months ago thay started closing at 12, and this week they decided they are going to be closed at 8pm. They're F***ed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My understanding is that the staff were told last night, but as you say, it won't happen until it happens, if it happens.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rumours too that the clothes department wasn't being stocked up, it looked a bit naked!

The line was they would wait for Asda to take over. Anyway, seem to be stocking up again.

They opened a big store near me, it's doing little, the old one still is busy enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    My understanding is that the staff were told last night, but as you say, it won't happen until it happens, if it happens.:confused:

Oh, decent source? or is this just another I know a man sources! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

My mate works for em, I could ring her up and ask her but i dont really care that much. Anyway if asda takes over and existing staff get to keep their jobs, they will be treated much better because dunnes management are a shower of B****rds.

sadista wrote: »
    My mate works for em, I could ring her up and ask her but i dont really care that much. Anyway if asda takes over and existing staff get to keep their jobs, they will be treated much better because dunnes management are a shower of B****rds.

Not sure what they're like, owned by Walmart though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mondo_ie

its a recession. closing times will be earlier to cut cost. no point opening till 12 if no one comes in to shop etc. think outside the box on fix cost that are in some way controllable esb, Heat, Staff . if they do sell it will be when they have looked at all the angles....Do U really think that a true IRISH conpany wants to Sell up? they have seen recessions before

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Asda is owned and operated by Walmart, anyone who wants Dunnes to be bought by Asda is insane imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mondo_ie

smart it would be the other way round .they will get rid of the staff on top rate and offer red circle mon - fri staff redundance. the management would stay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Cabaal wrote: »
    Asda is owned and operated by Walmart, anyone who wants Dunnes to be bought by Asda is insane imho!

Why? A friend of mine manages a huge walmart in Wisconsin. So whats wrong with the take over? Walmart/Asda owning Dunnes may actually create some competition in this country and drive down prices.

Why? A friend of mine manages a huge walmart in Wisconsin. So whats wrong with the take over? Walmart/Asda owning Dunnes may actually create some competition in this country and drive down prices.

Good for competition, bad for workers rights.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Clearly you know little of Walmarts business practices and the affects its had on small town America in a very very negative way

I suggest you do some reading

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

But seriously, I wouldnt be surprised. My local dunnes used to be 24hr, 3 months ago thay started closing at 12, and this week they decided they are going to be closed at 8pm. They're F***ed

It's not just Dunnes cutting 24-hour opening. Tesco are too.

Clearly you know little of Walmarts business practices and the affects its had on small town America in a very very negative way

True and I'm no fan of Trade Unions but they make O'Leary look like a shop steward.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    My understanding is that the staff were told last night

No, staff were told nothing. It's just people putting more legs on the rumour. Nobody knows anything for sure, though the Mandate union say they are still hearing from reliable sources that there are at least discussions about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I know the history behind Walmart and small towns and villages in the US ffs I live over 6 months of the year. Small businesses couldnt live up to the competition of better prices was one of the main reasons. And for workers rights. America's laws for workers right are completely different to both here and the UK and it is well known that Irish and British law protects the worker more than it does in the US. Asda have had none of the same issues small town America had. The reason asda were already established as are Dunnes. As I said a friend of mine works for them and he said the rights he has are no different to any other company. Same BS everywhere no matter who you work for. Ask alot of Dunnes employees they constantly give out about their management now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

my best mate went for a job interview in Dunnes many moons ago(bout 4 years) and while in the office noticed some crates with the Walmart logo on it. Not sure what that meant but they've obviously some kind of relationship with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Oh, decent source? or is this just another I know a man sources! ;)

I'll have to find out from my wife about the guy who told her that he was told by some people working at a Dunnes branch. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Mondo_ie wrote: »
    smart it would be the other way round .they will get rid of the staff on top rate and offer red circle mon - fri staff redundance. the management would stay the same.

Hi,

Just curious, what are red circle redundancies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in Dunnes. I don't think it's happening. My friend in work saw a Sainsbury's box in the stockroom (oo..it deepens) but I didn't see said box so I'd reserve judgement. The place has been bare for ages, I think that was more to do with stiniginess in actually buying stock. Anyway, plenty of new stock and the floor is almost full. I think a few Dunnes will close this year, they're really bad at locating them. Grafton Street is fecked I think, so is the Ilac who've already moved everything to their ground floor and closed off the first floor. North earl Street drapery is gone. Lots of stores have gone back from 24 hrs. Mine is a Dublin flagship, I'd imagine it'll weather this. Sales figures are lowest ever apparently, hours are jumping up and down (up next week, it's supposed to pick up then..) and the store is closing an hour earlier each weekday (which makes part-time shifts a waste of time) and opening one hour later on Sunday. But it's still not disastrous, in my store at least. Very very short-staffed, all temp staff let go. I think Dunnes close together in Cork and Limerick are probably suffering a lot worse.

I think the story with boxes is they might have a friendly agreement with the same supplier or somesuch. Dunnes also have a friendly agreement with Lipsy (it even comes up on the computer. Supplier- Lipsy), not of course, with karen Millen or the rest.

Kahless wrote: »
    It's not just Dunnes cutting 24-hour opening. Tesco are too.

Tesco arent closing early they're just letting al their probationary staff go.

Think they did here. Not 100% though.

The 24-hour Tesco in Waterford won't be any more. The petrol station is already closing early too. It is supposed to be happening elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Yes they are. The one in Ashbourne stopped its 24 hour opening about 3 weeks before Christmas.

Kahless wrote: »
    The 24-hour Tesco in Waterford won't be any more. The petrol station is already closing early too. It is supposed to be happening elsewhere too.

See the waterford city forum, this store will stay 24 hr.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    See the waterford city forum, this store will stay 24 hr.

Yeah, that's where I saw it wasn't going to be 24-hour any more. Nobody has said otherwise there.

Oh sorry that thread went a bit off topic, no plans to shut the main store during the nights as far as I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was in a Dunnes in Galway an hour back , the clothing section has not looked so dire since the early 1990s or even the late 1980s and the household section is almost gone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dunnes Grafton Street and Georges Street (I assume the grocery part too, not certain though) to close in the next week. The 2 Dunnes in the Ilac look like they're not going to hold out much longer either. I'm shocked that the second store on Grafton Street to close is a Dunnes..would have thought there'd be a lot more worse off on the street..

Advertisement