Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes - Asda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I. Dunnes also have a friendly agreement with Lipsy (it even comes up on the computer. Supplier- Lipsy), not of course, with karen Millen or the rest.

I don't think Dunnes and Karen Millen are very good friends;)
    I'm shocked that the second store on Grafton Street to close is a Dunnes..would have thought there'd be a lot more worse off on the street..

I can imagine people who aren't familiar with the shops being shocked that the Grafton Street Dunnes is closing. It does sound very bad but that tiny shop is the most pointless branch ever, I'd say there are better branches in Leitrim! People would expect the Grafton Street branch to be a big flagship like Henry Street but it's so not.

What was the first Grafton St shop to close?

sunnyside wrote: »
    I don't think Dunnes and Karen Millen are very good friends;)

I can imagine people who aren't familiar with the shops being shocked that the Grafton Street Dunnes is closing. It does sound very bad but that tiny shop is the most pointless branch ever, I'd say there are better branches in Leitrim! People would expect the Grafton Street branch to be a big flagship like Henry Street but it's so not.

What was the first Grafton St shop to close?

Ahh but it is/was 3 minutes from thee flag ship Dunnes. St. Stephens green.
    Leitrim didn't have a set of traffic lights until 2 years ago....nevermind a dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I know the history behind Walmart and small towns and villages in the US ffs I live over 6 months of the year. Small businesses couldnt live up to the competition of better prices was one of the main reasons. And for workers rights. America's laws for workers right are completely different to both here and the UK and it is well known that Irish and British law protects the worker more than it does in the US. Asda have had none of the same issues small town America had. The reason asda were already established as are Dunnes. As I said a friend of mine works for them and he said the rights he has are no different to any other company. Same BS everywhere no matter who you work for. Ask alot of Dunnes employees they constantly give out about their management now :rolleyes:

You may want to investigate terminology such as 'farm gate pricing' and their tactics to push small manufacturers and suppliers to deliver goods and products at below cost prices, globally.

Walmart are substantially responsible for China's stranglehold on American imports after lobbying Clinton to open up trade a decade ago.

Wouldn't closing the small branches be a move closer to an Asda takeover because Asda would only want the big shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

shellyboo wrote: »
    There's been a rumour going around for months and months, with the latest spin being that someone's seen a box of George clothes in a Dunnes warehouse with the labels ripped out. I'm hearing lots of "my friend who works in Dunnes says", but since Dunnes are so tight-lipped it's impossible to get a comment out of them.

The only way we're going to find out for sure is when it happens for sure.

dunnes forestside were selling a lot of stock with labels cut off at very cheap prices last week. george maybe? although why would they do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Those manky navy and grey dresses and the black jeans for €5? They're some sort of outside promotion, but I haven't a clue.

Dunnes Georges Street isn't small though. Just too close to a flagship. The first shop on Grafton Street to close was Nine West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The first shop on Grafton Street to close was Nine West.

nine west closed??:eek:

i was in Dunnes on nth earl st on sunday,by god there was barely skeleton staff,literally 1 girl on the express line and 2 on the main checkouts!and they've neverr been the most effiecient branch either so it took extra long!

Those manky navy and grey dresses and the black jeans for €5? They're some sort of outside promotion, but I haven't a clue.

Aren't they exactly the sort of thing you'd get from George at Asda? I speculate that the takeover is very likely. I'd prefer it to stay as Dunnes, much as I like the UK shops it's nice having a few Irish ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I dont want dunnes bought out by walmart, i saw that docuementry by micheal moore and you can buy guns their and thats the last thing ireland needs now, theres more shootings every day, imagine if u cud just buy them in dunnes?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

zuroph wrote: »
    I dont want dunnes bought out by walmart, i saw that docuementry by micheal moore and you can buy guns their and thats the last thing ireland needs now, theres more shootings every day, imagine if u cud just buy them in dunnes?! :eek:

Brilliant! Does Mr George do a range of fashionable Kevlar jackets and matching accessories? Just the job for the recession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

ASDA in the UK doesnt sell guns now does it? :rolleyes: Why do people think the buy over will turn the stores into giant walmarts. Asda stores still look like what they were before the Walmart group bought them out. Michael Moore is a tool anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ASDA in the UK doesnt sell guns now does it?
    i dont know i've never been to asda.

i dont know i've never been to asda.

Sarcasm not your strong point I see. No they don't. Gun laws in both the UK and Ireland prevent the sales of weapons in supermarkets :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

Look at one of the newspapers today...Dunnes managers being told they have to work sundays now for no pay and take a day off during the week in lieu...not sure if thats a sign of selling up, Tesco managers have been doing the same thing for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Of course, it has repercussions elsewhere, companies move stock 'on behalf' of Dunnes. Situated in North Dublin. The relationship between the companies is blurred. If you thought working for Dunnes was grotty, try working for the stock management and transport companies operating 'under' them, managed with a ball and chain. I pity my ex work colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Check out the latest Dunnes ads on TV. That arrow graphic they are using is a lot like what Asda use.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    You may want to investigate terminology such as 'farm gate pricing' and their tactics to push small manufacturers and suppliers to deliver goods and products at below cost prices, globally.

Walmart are substantially responsible for China's stranglehold on American imports after lobbying Clinton to open up trade a decade ago.

What has farm gate pricing go to do with it? Farm Gate pricing is the cost of the product at the source/farm before adding tax and transport etc etc. Its well known that alot of American companies import from Asia. In fact if you google America's main source of imported goods you will Find China and Thailand at the top of the list. Its not just Walmart. Everyone knows these big companies source cheaper products from abroad.

But Asda in the UK trade the same way now as they have always done and this thread is Walmart/Asda buying Dunnes. The end of it all if the take over happens Walmart will have to follow Irish Labour Laws, Import Laws, etc etc. American laws are so mixed up when it comes to business in areas such as workers rights, unions and import laws due to the amount of money floating around and bent senators being payed off to pass bills in congress to line their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

JDxtra wrote: »
    Check out the latest Dunnes ads on TV. That arrow graphic they are using is a lot like what Asda use.

Yeah I just saw some fat auld wan slap herself on the ass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

morrowa64 wrote: »
    Look at one of the newspapers today...Dunnes managers being told they have to work sundays now for no pay and take a day off during the week in lieu...not sure if thats a sign of selling up, Tesco managers have been doing the same thing for years

My husband is a manager in Dunnes, he has always had to work a sunday and take a day off in lieu of it during the week, he never gets paid extra for working a sunday, some of the older guys do get paid though as they are on different contracts so maybe this is what they are cutting.
    Most of the managers who were still in their probabtionary period have been given their notice.

anyone notice the adds on the radio lately?? the slogan for the grocery adds are 'its because we are irish' and the slogan for the drapery department is 'always better value', rumours in his store is that Asda will be supplying the clothes department. who knows though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I imagine your husband only joined Dunnes in the last 2 or 3 years ? Before that you'd would be paid extra for working on a Sunday but a couple of years ago, a long time before the rumours of a take over began, they got rid of that clause in any new contract so it's nothing to do with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Jip wrote: »
    I imagine your husband only joined Dunnes in the last 2 or 3 years ? Before that you'd would be paid extra for working on a Sunday but a couple of years ago, a long time before the rumours of a take over began, they got rid of that clause in any new contract so it's nothing to do with that.

Sunday & late night payments in the retail sector changed many years ago. - Mid nineties I think.

Basically if the store's normal hours are on a seven day week, then employment contracts are for a seven day week and no additional pay is required for sunday / late nights as it forms part of the standard working week of the company.

Jip wrote: »

he is there just under two years.
    i know this has nothing to do with a takeover or anything like that as anywhere he has worked before it has always been a 5 day over 7 contract too so he never got paid for working a sunday.
    the other managers there that do get paid have all been there over ten years. its just a way of cutting the wages bill.

darc wrote: »
    Sunday & late night payments in the retail sector changed many years ago. - Mid nineties I think.

Basically if the store's normal hours are on a seven day week, then employment contracts are for a seven day week and no additional pay is required for sunday / late nights as it forms part of the standard working week of the company.

exactly! its just the older managers that are on the old contracts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

darc wrote: »

No they didn't, Dunnes were still doing in up until a few years ago, they were providing additional payments for Sunday and then as they hired new staff the contracts were changed to stop this.

Unless you've worked in every retail store in the country you cannot make sweeping statements like that.

In Dunnes, part-time staff get time and half Sundays and bank holidays. Full-time staff do not. I'm unsure about flexi, I think they do, but they rarely get Sunday hours. Part-time staff are supposed to get one Sunday in 4 off (this doesn't happen, I've only ever got 2 Sundays off in a year and a half) and flexi are supposed to work 1 in 4 sundays. Sunday opening hours were recently cut in my store, only by an hour though. Only Saturday is unchanged. New staff still get time and a half. The current starting wage is €9.22, they probably will decrease this at some stage for new staff.

Management hours in my store haven't been cut at all. If anything, there's too many managers and not enough staff, which results in managers operating tills/fitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

K-9 wrote: »
    Rumours too that the clothes department wasn't being stocked up, it looked a bit naked!

The line was they would wait for Asda to take over. Anyway, seem to be stocking up again.

They opened a big store near me, it's doing little, the old one still is busy enough.

My wife was in Dunnes Liffey valley last week and asked for a particular item which wasn't on display - the manager she spoke to told her that there was nothing left in the clothes stock room and that they had reduced their orders "because of global warming" affecting the seasons :D.

I was in the Blanch shop yesterday - seems to be less display stands than there used to be and whats with this "new lower price" - the signs on top of the stands look like what you would have seen in Dunnes 20 years ago. An another thing that I noticed - all the fridges in any of the stores I've been in seem to have be replaced in the past few months :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

In Dunnes, part-time staff get time and half Sundays and bank holidays. Full-time staff do not.

Full-time staff do get time and a half. However, they also work less hours on Sunday than a normal day, so end up with the same pay as a normal day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

josh59 wrote: »
    An another thing that I noticed - all the fridges in any of the stores I've been in seem to have be replaced in the past few months :confused:

Lots of stores have been getting refitted. Around two years ago they concentrated more on building new stores and when that was done, they concentrated more on revamping older stores.

Kahless wrote: »
    Full-time staff do get time and a half. However, they also work less hours on Sunday than a normal day, so end up with the same pay as a normal day.

In my store, they're always moaning that they're not getting time and a half. Usually the ones there 10 years. Might be different contracts, there's loads of contracts.

• Advertisement

josh59 wrote: »
    My wife was in Dunnes Liffey valley last week and asked for a particular item which wasn't on display - the manager she spoke to told her that there was nothing left in the clothes stock room and that they had reduced their orders "because of global warming" affecting the seasons :D.

I was in the Blanch shop yesterday - seems to be less display stands than there used to be and whats with this "new lower price" - the signs on top of the stands look like what you would have seen in Dunnes 20 years ago. An another thing that I noticed - all the fridges in any of the stores I've been in seem to have be replaced in the past few months :confused:

Yeah the stockrooms are scary looking...feck all in them. They've reduces the orders because they're cheap..they're only buying enough for the floor, nothing left over for the stockroom. They can still check other stores though. They've gotten rid of one brand- Sinequanone so the floor is slightly barer. Savida is still not as big as it used to be, but the rest of the floor is. I don't think Blanch stocks the concessions- Capture etc so I'd imagine it's very bare alright. Yeah almost everythign that comes in is priced down, particularly Savida. No signs there though..just the new lower price hoodies they're obsessed about.

Advertisement