Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes - Asda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The dunnes stores in clondalkin started removing outdoor large neon signs today and they are to be replaced with asda signage

Are you sure it is being replaced with Asda signage and not just the rebranded Dunnes signage?

Old brand sign
    71122797_92c4095bff.jpg

New brand sign
    Dunnes_Stores,_Henry_Street,_Dublin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Kahless wrote: »
    Are you sure it is being replaced with Asda signage and not just the rebranded Dunnes signage?

Bullseye!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Sales are not 60% down! I'd say 30% would be right, the lack of stock is probably contributing to this. 'Do you have size x in the back?' 'Eh..no..I can check other stores?' etc.

Was Dunnes Clondalkin done up? Mine was and no signage being taken down. A key indicator would be the recipts..do they say 'Dunnes' or 'Dunnes Stores'. Ours still have the stores bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lille

Went on to the company website and there is a company wal-mart stores! Also in our Dunnes the "own brand" groceries are coming in "Dunnes" instead of "Dunnes Stores" would wal-mart be intending to trade under the name "Dunnes"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

lille wrote: »
    Went on to the company website and there is a company wal-mart stores! Also in our Dunnes the "own brand" groceries are coming in "Dunnes" instead of "Dunnes Stores" would wal-mart be intending to trade under the name "Dunnes"?

this belongs under conspir theories again its just a rebranding its still called dunnes stores in the records office

it can be checked if you want

• Advertisement

Get real..it's not happening. Dunnes will always be Dunnes & why would Walmart want to come into our small tiny banana republic? Think about it!:mad:

They've been gradually rebranding from Dunnes Stores to Dunnes since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Mondo_ie wrote: »
    its a recession. closing times will be earlier to cut cost. no point opening till 12 if no one comes in to shop etc. think outside the box on fix cost that are in some way controllable esb, Heat, Staff . if they do sell it will be when they have looked at all the angles....Do U really think that a true IRISH conpany wants to Sell up? they have seen recessions before
    why not sell up dunnes dont care about true irish only care about money and profit they dont care how they make it cutting staff hours down to nothing not putting on the heating and so on true irish ya right

look if we are going to be asda which we have heard that the take over is going to start end of march they would have to start bringing in stock it cant all happen over nite and what stores got redundancies?

joes girls wrote: »
    look if we are going to be asda which we have heard that the take over is going to start end of march they would have to start bringing in stock it cant all happen over nite and what stores got redundancies?

It's not going to happen. There is no Asda stock in any Dunnes - fact.

• Advertisement

:eek:
    rco2000 wrote: »
    hey i never said there was asda stock in any store all i said was they would have to bring in stock :rolleyes: what did anyone make of what is in the indepentant 2day what will all the meetings on monday & tuesday be about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lille

Have heard its in the papers that 200 Dunnes managers have been called to meetings next week.

ya even managers that are on hols have to go oh what will it all be about are they just going to close some stores or is it going to be something bigger

I wonder if they are actually going to a meeting. The media made this claim back in November and nothing happened.

I wonder if they are actually going to a meeting. The media made this claim back in November and nothing happened.
    :)ya but dunnes are so anti media they would be shag all you and would only come out with stuff when it would suit them any way its all going on to long now there has to be something and this is the first time our so called store managerhas said that he has to go to meeting on tuesday there is no smoke without fire:eek:

Exactly!

Aparently the meeting is to deal with an internal issue regarding the withdrawal of payment to mgrs for working Sundays.

Exactly!

Aparently the meeting is to deal with an internal issue regarding the withdrawal of payment to mgrs for working Sundays.
    :mad:what they are getting paid is mad anyway and for what most of them do nothing about time they lost out a bit

:mad:what they are getting paid is mad anyway and for what most of them do nothing about time they lost out a bit

Regardless it still has nothing to do with silly rumours of a ASDA takeover.

By the way...
    Store Mgrs in Dunnes must work 48 hours (exclusive of dinner break) I believe it is their company policy.
    They must "clock in" with their finger/palm print and are disciplined if they "go under 48 hours"
    Junior mgrs must work 45 hours again exc dinner break.

:(
    Regardless it still has nothing to do with silly rumours of a ASDA takeover.

By the way...
    Store Mgrs in Dunnes must work 48 hours (exclusive of dinner break) I believe it is their company policy.
    They must "clock in" with their finger/palm print and are disciplined if they "go under 48 hours"
    Junior mgrs must work 45 hours again exc dinner break.
    ya and at least they are getting good wages i have to clock in the same way and we would be disciplinedif we were to leave work early and why are you so sure that its not a takeover when no one knows whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Should there happen to be a take-over, I can see the logic in all of the down-sizing that appears to be going on. Were it to happen after the hypothetical take-over, Asda would get the blame for it and there would be some extremely abusive publicity doing the rounds. The way that it is happening before that possible event, only the Dunne family would get the blame, and, as they would no longer be in business, any adverse publicity wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ya and at least they are getting good wages i have to clock in the same way and we would be disciplinedif we were to leave work early and why are you so sure that its not a takeover when no one knows whats going on

Stop frowning...are you envious/jealous of DS management? I'm sure they are not all bad? If not, why not apply for management (you will have to work 48 hours a week, net of breaks, though)?

Have strong contacts in Irish retail sector - I don't work for Dunnes!

Takeover does not make sense for oh so many reasons - too many to list -please read my earlier post. Even if (the biggest if in Irish retail history) DS were to sell, could you picture the Dunne family selling their family business at the very bottom of the market! Dunnes are already ahead of Tesco, Supervalu & Heatons in adapting to a recession - they put the breaks on a long time b4 the others. The others are prob 6-9 months behind Dunnes & are cutting back like mad, but you won't really rwad about it in the papers.
    The reason DS get so much negative publicity is that they never engage with the media which p*isses the Irish media off so much that they are always only dying to put the boot in whenever they get a sniff of anything.

DS are a very successful Irish company that contributes so much to the Irish economy & we should never forget that. They have successfully exported an Irish retail package to the Scottish & Spanish markets also.

One final point is that DS were gr8 for the Irish economy during the 70's & 80's recession (and also long before this period) with low prices/better value. Most of us grew up wearing DS clothes & eating DS food. What you are now seeing is DS are moving back to a similar model (territory that they are renowned & very successful at).
    I have said enough on the topic but we should all buy Irish - from Irish retaillers that don't charge rip off prices.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes there IS, fact. There is in mine and several others. A week or two back there was several racks in prominent display with €5 on them- promotion deals. None of these clothes were Dunnes. There was navy and grey dresses from Next (Next was cut out)..and black skinny jeans from George at Asda. I don't think there is 'takeover intent' in that..otherwise why would there be clothes from Next..but they were definitely Asda clothes. Crappy stock other shops couldn't sell.

I wouldn't envy a Dunnes manager really. Insane amount of shifts and when a staff member gets an abusive customer..they are passed over to management. Several times an hour they have to be called to the tills to do something as stupid as void out an item a customer doesn't want...that'd be annoying. Some of them are a bit crap, generally alright in my store. Because it's so short staffed, they have to go on tills for horus anyway.

Our weekday closing time was cut back by an hour..BUT it's going up next week. Probably due to the closure of Grafton Street Dunnes (yesterday).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Just noticed yesterday that the George's St Homeware shop they opened what, last year?, has closed too. It's the one beside their new shiny offices

Yes there IS, fact. There is in mine and several others. A week or two back there was several racks in prominent display with €5 on them- promotion deals. None of these clothes were Dunnes. There was navy and grey dresses from Next (Next was cut out)..and black skinny jeans from George at Asda. I don't think there is 'takeover intent' in that..otherwise why would there be clothes from Next..but they were definitely Asda clothes. Crappy stock other shops couldn't sell.

Dunnes, Penneys, Next, George etc all share many suppliers. Sometimes one of these chains will return this stock for any of many reasones e.g. poor quality etc. The supplier will then offer it to the other chains at a rock bottom price. Normally they would agree to remove the incorrect lables from these garments but that adds to the cost. In these hard times Dunnes are availing of these new sales opportunities & furthermore are not too concerned with demanding that the label is removed - to reduce the cost price/increase their margin.
    This whole practice is quite common.
    I remember back in 2003/2004 I bought around six 1/2 zip fleeces in Dunnes around 2 weeks before xmas for just e5 each. I asked a friend of mine (store manager of that store) why were they so cheap, especially a week before xmas & in the middle of the boom yeras, he explained that it was stock returned by Walmart in US to a far east supplier who then offered this stock to DS at $1 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 violagol

Im a dunnes manager,and we were told yesterday by our store manager,that after a meeting that was held yesterday,all managers have been offered voluntary redundacy,2 weeks pay for every years service,pretty crap if you're only with them 3 years like me..what does all this mean?are they selling?cutting costs?all I can say is we'll be the last to be told,and by WE,I mean managers and staff,we're all in the one boat at this stage..although staff at least have the lifeboat of a union,managers dont even have that

violagol wrote: »
    Im a dunnes manager,and we were told yesterday by our store manager,that after a meeting that was held yesterday,all managers have been offered voluntary redundacy,2 weeks pay for every years service,pretty crap if you're only with them 3 years like me..what does all this mean?are they selling?cutting costs?all I can say is we'll be the last to be told,and by WE,I mean managers and staff,we're all in the one boat at this stage..although staff at least have the lifeboat of a union,managers dont even have that

Allegedly they are looking for circa 70 managers to take voluntary redundancy - the 2 weeks is a crap offer as it is just the statutury minimum - please note that Dunnes will then claim 60% of this amount back from the employers PRSI fund. So in effect it would cost them less than one weeks wages for every year that you have worked.
    If it was me, I'd steer well clear of it.
    They may be using 2 weeks as a start point for negotiation with any manager who is interested & settle for 3,4 or 5 weeks per year worked?

Oh, and they are not for selling!

so not jealous of management, and if i was going to aplly for it it would not be with dunnes.if there is no take over going to happen why did this all start.dunnes are up to something, and we there staff will be the last to know.

so not jealous of management, and if i was going to aplly for it it would not be with dunnes.if there is no take over going to happen why did this all start.dunnes are up to something, and we there staff will be the last to know.

not jealous ... bitter?;)

With grammar like that I don't think you'd even get an interview:D

Dunnes are up to something, yes - they are getting even leaner during these hard times (for all retail operators) so that they can pay yours & everyone elses wages in DS.
    In the fullness of time you will be saying that the Heffernan woman really knows how to run a business.
    In fact herself & Michael O'Leary would be ideal at the helm of any Irish government faced with the current economic conditions.

• Advertisement

not jealous ... bitter?;)

With grammar like that I don't think you'd even get an interview:D

Dunnes are up to something, yes - they are getting even leaner during these hard times (for all retail operators) so that they can pay yours & everyone elses wages in DS.
    In the fullness of time you will be saying that the Heffernan woman really knows how to run a business.
    In fact herself & Michael O'Leary would be ideal at the helm of any Irish government faced with the current economic conditions.
    :pya right bitter of what.as for paying our wages not much of them to worry about,already on a 3day week and they wanted us to take another day off. if they have to cut back this much and close down some store,they cant be doing that great.oh ya dont;)at me.

Advertisement