Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes - Asda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

joes girls wrote: »
    :pya right bitter of what.as for paying our wages not much of them to worry about,already on a 3day week and they wanted us to take another day off. if they have to cut back this much and close down some store,they cant be doing that great.oh ya dont;)at me.

no one in retail is doing great at the mo - it's all a survival game for most retailers.
    When you see the likes of the big guns like Tesco & Dunnes cutting back so drastically, you can take it that the outlook for the retail sector is not just bleak but worse than bleak - these guys are expecting a pro-longed downturn.

Sorry about the winking, it's just this nervous twitch that I have.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rco2000 wrote: »
    no one in retail is doing great at the mo - it's all a survival game for most retailers.

In November 2008, Aldi planned to open 35 new stores in Ireland. There's money to be made alright and it's not at the premium pricing that Superquinn charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

When you see the likes of the big guns like Tesco & Dunnes cutting back so drastically, you can take it that the outlook for the retail sector is not just bleak but worse than bleak - these guys are expecting a pro-longed downturn.

Sorry about the winking, it's just this nervous twitch that I have.:D
    :Poh ok thats fine but i will remember your a nervous person.

mikemac wrote: »
    In November 2008, Aldi planned to open 35 new stores in Ireland. There's money to be made alright and it's not at the premium pricing that Superquinn charge!
    ya aldi have just opened another store down here and dunnes have closed one.

ya aldi have just opened another store down here and dunnes have closed one.

The Dunnes in Wexford Main street was crap. It was like a boutique. And you had a fantactic store in Redmond Square, only a couple of hundred metres away.
    Similar situation in Enniscorthy?

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Should there happen to be a take-over, I can see the logic in all of the down-sizing that appears to be going on. Were it to happen after the hypothetical take-over, Asda would get the blame for it and there would be some extremely abusive publicity doing the rounds. The way that it is happening before that possible event, only the Dunne family would get the blame, and, as they would no longer be in business, any adverse publicity wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to them.
    dunnes have to many managers. no other company would have that many so maybe dunnes have to get rid of some before a takeover.

The Dunnes in Wexford Main street was crap. It was like a boutique. And you had a fantactic store in Redmond Square, only a couple of hundred metres away.
    Similar situation in Enniscorthy?
    :confused:what do you mean we had a fantactic store dont you mean we have a fantactic store, do you know something i dont and oh its not that fantactic:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

In the Dunnes I work in the managers were also told that 2 week for every years service was on the table if they wanted it.

I've worked in Dunnes for some time and have never seen it this bad before.
    I mean violagol in a previous post stated he is a manager and they only get 2 weeks for every year? Thats ridiculously bad to be blunt id expect the regular staff to get that as a start. I honestly dont know why managers dont have a union. I mean isn't it in everyones working rights if ure a big wheel manager or just a blue collar to be able to atleast defend your working rights?

As for a buy out.. jesus I dont know... noone does and thats why every topic with Dunnes is flooded with "there is a takeover and there isn't a take over"

Dunnes are a media shy family run company, im sure they look on every person with even a passing interest in how they run the buisness as a nosy next door neighbour kinda thing. I honestly dont agree with this reasoning as its making everyone worried, some of us have bills fees and mortgages to pay and during these grim times the VERY last thing 18,000 employees want to hear is " were selling up" if this happens Asda or whatever might take existing staff and employ them on a slightly lower wage or something.

Honestly I dont know were all wandering in the dark unless someone has concrete evidence that they ar not selling. All we had from head office was
    "We will not comment on idle speculation" that could be taken ether way.

Id love to know what "Souces" people on the board refer to when they say there isnt a takeover.. I mean I ask this in not a deroggitive or taunting way but were all worried here (especially the people who work in Dunnes).

I have to say though I think Dunnes could handle this better, Im worrying like crazy as are other people who depend on this for a job and a weekly wage, last thing I or most likely anyone wants is to be on the dole.

one and only thing we can do is wait. the hearald news paper stated in saturdays edition that a meeting was taking place on tuesday in cork and in head office dublin. similar to the rumor before x-mas (november i think it was)
    Myabe with x-mas looming they didnt want to announce it on allready over burdened familes who work in Dunnes and decided for the new year to announce it?

Anyways, Im sure we might find out soon theres a bad atmosphere going around in my shop and I cant help but take notice of it. just the way managers are acting and the expession on their faces is one that afew employees have had on their faces since novemer.... one of worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

so not jealous of management, and if i was going to aplly for it it would not be with dunnes.if there is no take over going to happen why did this all start.dunnes are up to something, and we there staff will be the last to know.

I overhear staff in Tesco complaining among themselves about similar cuts in hours and the like. They just don't hit the headlines. Maybe Asda are taking over Tesco too. Or maybe everyone is cutting back due to the current circumstances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I mean violagol in a previous post stated he is a manager and they only get 2 weeks for every year? Thats ridiculously bad to be blunt id expect the regular staff to get that as a start.
    That is what is required by the law, so the company offers people to go at the same cos it would be to make them redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I have to say though I think Dunnes could handle this better, Im worrying like crazy as are other people who depend on this for a job and a weekly wage, last thing I or most likely anyone wants is to be on the dole.

I was chatting to a girl who works in Dunnes at the weekend and her hours have been cut. She now earns approx €200 a week. Her rent is €130. She has a car which she uses to get to work and all all the other regular living expenses. This scared me because she would now be better off on the dole getting rent allowance but if she leaves the job voluntarily she won't be able to register for dole.

Wouldn't some of the staff actually be better off if they were let go:confused:I know it's a horrible thing to say but that girl I was speaking to won't be able to get by financially on the hours she has now and they could cut the hours again meaning people would still officially have a job but no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

Thats actually true sunnyside.
    Some people are on lower or higher rates than others, that girls probably working herself to death to get the 200 euros. I know afew of us in are staying back and working whatever meger extra minutes we can to get alittle extra.

I mean on the dole I THINK it's 204 euro you get or along those lines. I mean its different looking at it as easy money but I was on the dole after being let go from a previous job and I HATED going down the dole office. It's just annoying and you feel awkward taking money that isnt money you worked for.

Im not trying to guilt anyone or anything like that and sorry for any offence people might take from the above comment its jusy MY way of thinking about it in my case. I know some people need that after being let go from a job.

Anyways,

I just got a call from work today (Dunnes) saying not to go in early as I had planned to go in alittle early today to help out and ofcourse get some extra money and all that but I was told to do my rostered hours and leave at my rostered time.

As for reducing hours, well the forst thing they do is put floor and drapery workers on a four day week, and limit them to maybe 2 sundays a month.

I suppose they are just making some cuts to keep budgets in the green and that.

:confused:what do you mean we had a fantactic store dont you mean we have a fantactic store, do you know something i dont and oh its not that fantactic:rolleyes:

Fantastic when compared to the crap store down main street (which they closed recently).

I must know something that you don't?:confused:

;)
    crap, I'm winking again..it just won't stop!

Kahless wrote: »
    I overhear staff in Tesco complaining among themselves about similar cuts in hours and the like. They just don't hit the headlines. Maybe Asda are taking over Tesco too. Or maybe everyone is cutting back due to the current circumstances.

Bullseye Kahless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Thats actually true sunnyside.
    Some people are on lower or higher rates than others, that girls probably working herself to death to get the 200 euros. I know afew of us in are staying back and working whatever meger extra minutes we can to get alittle extra.

I mean on the dole I THINK it's 204 euro you get or along those lines. I mean its different looking at it as easy money but I was on the dole after being let go from a previous job and I HATED going down the dole office. It's just annoying and you feel awkward taking money that isnt money you worked for.

But doesn't this leave people living in serious poverty. At least the money on the dole is guaranteed and you can have rent allowance and a medical card. What if the person's hours have been cut and they need to go to the doctor costing €50-60. If Dunnes are changing the terms of your contract by giving you less hours than you signed up for do you not have a right to decide that you cannot afford that and would be best to leave.

I'm not advocating that people choose to be lazy and go on the dole. I mean it from a practical point of view. I know I couldn't survive if I worked 10-15 hours a week for close to minimum pay. I would have to choose the dole for the €200 + rent allowance + medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i believe it was confirmed today. Managers will be given an offer to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

davton wrote: »
    i believe it was confirmed today. Managers will be given an offer to leave.

What was confirmed?

Fantastic when compared to the crap store down main street (which they closed recently).

I must know something that you don't?:confused:

;)
    crap, I'm winking again..it just won't stop!
    :rolleyes:you said that we HAD a store in redmond sq. with your strong contacts in retail i was waiting for you to tell me it was shutting down. and its ok you can;)all you want i dont mind nervous twitchy people we all have a cross to bear:D

What was confirmed?
    oh my god not in work today so not getting any info did hear that those meeting are all off again i wish they would just come out with what ever it is anyone not in union better get in it

sunnyside wrote: »
    But doesn't this leave people living in serious poverty. At least the money on the dole is guaranteed and you can have rent allowance and a medical card. What if the person's hours have been cut and they need to go to the doctor costing €50-60. If Dunnes are changing the terms of your contract by giving you less hours than you signed up for do you not have a right to decide that you cannot afford that and would be best to leave.

I'm not advocating that people choose to be lazy and go on the dole. I mean it from a practical point of view. I know I couldn't survive if I worked 10-15 hours a week for close to minimum pay. I would have to choose the dole for the €200 + rent allowance + medical card.
    most staff are on a flexi contracts and can get anything from 15 to 39 hours p.w so they are doing nothing wrong i would hope that all dunnes staff are signing a 3 day week with the welfare.

• Advertisement

The dunnes stores in clondalkin started removing outdoor large neon signs today and they are to be replaced with asda signage
    did that asda sign go up or just a new dunnes one.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

What was confirmed?

That they are offering redundancies to managers. They are looking for around 60 of them according to the irish independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

most staff are on a flexi contracts and can get anything from 15 to 39 hours p.w so they are doing nothing wrong i would hope that all dunnes staff are signing a 3 day week with the welfare.

Several in Waterford have gone to 3 days plus welfare. They also tried to trick full-time staff into requesting a 4 day week. The word was unofficially let out that the option was available, but the way it was done, Dunnes were not offering the 4 day week to staff. Staff would have to go to request it from them. So it would be the staff requesting a change in the contract rather than Dunnes requesting a change. More advantageous to Dunnes that way. Nobody went for that in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ash_18x wrote: »
    That they are offering redundancies to managers. They are looking for around 60 of them according to the irish independent.

Davton had me going for a while there....:)

:rolleyes:you said that we HAD a store in redmond sq. with your strong contacts in retail i was waiting for you to tell me it was shutting down. and its ok you can;)all you want i dont mind nervous twitchy people we all have a cross to bear:D

my strong contacts were'nt far off the ball...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnsncwcwau/

the winking has stopped ....for now...

:(
    Kahless wrote: »
    Several in Waterford have gone to 3 days plus welfare. They also tried to trick full-time staff into requesting a 4 day week. The word was unofficially let out that the option was available, but the way it was done, Dunnes were not offering the 4 day week to staff. Staff would have to go to request it from them. So it would be the staff requesting a change in the contract rather than Dunnes requesting a change. More advantageous to Dunnes that way. Nobody went for that in the end.
    they all did right who would give up a days pay the fulltime staff are the lucky ones the rest of us will be spending more time at home instead of work i can see a 15 hour week on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Asda coming over in July (latest unconfirmed word on the street) and the first store to rebrand will be the Ilac ones. The grocery will move to the drapery one, and the drapery will go altogether. I can see this happening, it's hardly a profitable drapery outlet anymore, and Henry Street isn't either, it's too big, but will probably stay. Anyway, yeah, unconfirmed etc. etc.

Half of Dublin city centre management were in my store today for drapery stocktake..I thought this meeting was today?

Hours were affected for two weeks, and are now back to normal in my store. January was pitiful for sales, so that was probably it. I'm only part-time and I have 20-25 hours now and 5 day weeks (3 of those days would be 3 hour shifts..) and the flexi and full timers are getting 37-40 hour weeks. Extremely short staffed, someone has to do the hours.. We are getting Grafton Street staff though.

Evidence so far is that town/city centre Dunnes are the worst hit because they're often close together. I can't see Dunnes Liffey Valley, Blanch, Cornelscourt, Tallaght, Crumlin etc..and the country ones not in town centres closing.

Asda coming over in July (latest unconfirmed word on the street) and the first store to rebrand will be the Ilac ones. The grocery will move to the drapery one, and the drapery will go altogether. I can see this happening, it's hardly a profitable drapery outlet anymore, and Henry Street isn't either, it's too big, but will probably stay. Anyway, yeah, unconfirmed etc. etc.

Half of Dublin city centre management were in my store today for drapery stocktake..I thought this meeting was today?

The "reported" famous meetings that were to take place were called off by DS HQ on Sat afternoon last.

ASDA were looking for sites around Ireland circa 12 months ago, but it would have been on a solo run. However the slowdown in Irish retail sector has halted this plan & is on the back burner for now (allegedly).

I believe the ASDA guys are coming to Ireland on July 12th - probably Belfast or Drumcree for the July 12th marches, definetely not to takeover Dunnes.

just something to think about with all these stores shutting down,if dunnes were to sell up maybe the stores that closed would not come into it and then the dunne family would still have these to do what ever they wanted.

• Advertisement

just something to think about with all these stores shutting down,if dunnes were to sell up maybe the stores that closed would not come into it and then the dunne family would still have these to do what ever they wanted.

Dunnes may choose to:
    A. Hold onto these stores & ride out the storm. Look at re-opening them at some stage in the future should a future trading environment warrant it.
    B. Sell these Leaseholds/Freeholds on to other retailers (like ALdi, Lidl, Tesco, Asda etc) & use the proceeds to finance current & future operations

Advertisement