Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes - Asda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

What.. so you mean all this ruckus was just over redundency talks for dunnes managers that apply for the voluntary redundancy?

I have to admit that was ratiling around in my brain amid alot of worry were were been taking over.

Then again you never know....

The end?

;) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

What.. so you mean all this ruckus was just over redundency talks for dunnes managers that apply for the voluntary redundancy?

I have to admit that was ratiling around in my brain amid alot of worry were were been taking over.

Then again you never know....

The end?

;) lol

It def was nothing to with Asda.
    You work for DS so you know that with DS it's all about sales, sales, sales & of course cutting costs costs costs. They have never changed or lost focus on these key elements to their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

Their slogan after their adds now is 'its because we are Irish', i honestly cant see them rebranding themselves to this and then selling off to Asda who arent Irish. I could be wrong though!
    Anyway all these talks about Asda taking over and them selling out are good publicity for Dunnes..........
    My husband was offered the voluntary redundancy yesterday, he however is not going to take it as he is only there a year and a half so it wouldnt be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

ash_18x wrote: »
    Their slogan after their adds now is 'its because we are Irish', i honestly cant see them rebranding themselves to this and then selling off to Asda who arent Irish. I could be wrong though!

Do you think if Asda come over and offer them gazillions for their company they're going to say no because of patriotic principles? Business is business. If they're selling, they're selling.

I dunno, I get more skeptical about this by the day. Wal-Mart have plenty of money, if they wanted to enter the market they'd do it, and do it their way with suburban hypermarkets. I just don't see them changing their strategy just to get into ROI, it seems unnecessary to say the least. They seem unstoppable as regards planning etc in NI, so why wouldn't it work here? Don't see why they *need* Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

shellyboo wrote: »
    Don't see why they *need* Dunnes.

I don't think that if they came here is that they need Dunnes to do it. But by buying over Dunnes they will abolish one of their competitors. Less competitors the better and buying one of them out gives you ready made stores that just need to be re-branded. They get into the the market quicker. But you are right they really don't need Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I don't think that if they came here is that they need Dunnes to do it. But by buying over Dunnes they will abolish one of their competitors. Less competitors the better and buying one of them out gives you ready made stores that just need to be re-branded. They get into the the market quicker. But you are right they really don't need Dunnes.

Yeah, but ready-made stores that don't fit with their strategy at all. Meh, I'm just getting really sick of the whole saga!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Yeah, but ready-made stores that don't fit with their strategy at all. Meh, I'm just getting really sick of the whole saga!

Very True and I agree with you 100% the whole thing is annoying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only reason that Tesco succeeded here was that they bought Quinnsworth. They had a failed attempt at setting up in the Irish market before, but the few stores they had were spread far and wide. I can't remember how long ago it was, but there was a Tesco in Tralee which ended up closing down, donkey's years ago.

If the continuing rumour is anywhere near true, then I suppose that the more modern Dunnes premises would be more suitable for Asda's purposes. If it doesn't happen in the next 30 years, it may just be a vicious rumour without foundation. :D

I wouldn't like to play poker with Mrs. Heffernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lille

rco2000 wrote: »
    It def was nothing to with Asda.
    You work for DS so you know that with DS it's all about sales, sales, sales & of course cutting costs costs costs. They have never changed or lost focus on these key elements to their business.

In my store they have lost focus its not all about sales sales sales we never have enough stock in, constantly apologising to customers for not having what they want, it's embarassing at times.

Anyone know what will happen if none of the managers or not enough of them accept the redundancy package? Can Dunnes make the redundancy compulsary, just worried they'll start on the staff next.:confused:

lille wrote: »
    In my store they have lost focus its not all about sales sales sales we never have enough stock in, constantly apologising to customers for not having what they want, it's embarassing at times.

Reply - Well if that store manager has "lost focus" & is not taking the voluntary redundancy, he will either lose his/her store very fast or be on the back door in Letterkenny at 5am the following Monday morning, for life!
    I'm surprised his/her area manager is letting them lose focus?

Anyone know what will happen if none of the managers or not enough of them accept the redundancy package? Can Dunnes make the redundancy compulsary, just worried they'll start on the staff next.:confused:

Anything could happen. They are capable of anything. One of the worse case scenarios - Move non-performing managers to the far side of the country, thus forcing them to leave (as per their contracts of employment).

• Advertisement

Fair comment. But the Dunne family will never sell while Margaret & Frank are still alive

Do you think if Asda come over and offer them gazillions for their company they're going to say no because of patriotic principles? Business is business. If they're selling, they're selling.

I dunno, I get more skeptical about this by the day. Wal-Mart have plenty of money, if they wanted to enter the market they'd do it, and do it their way with suburban hypermarkets. I just don't see them changing their strategy just to get into ROI, it seems unnecessary to say the least. They seem unstoppable as regards planning etc in NI, so why wouldn't it work here? Don't see why they *need* Dunnes.

ROI is now viewed internationally as a "basket case". Why oh why would Walmart/Asda want to move into this tiny market with so little happening and very little if any positivity on the horizon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I was in Asda Enniskillen on Sunday, it dosen't open 'till 1pm on Sunday, the car park was nearly full at 12.30, all southern reg cars. At 1.10pm it was like xmas eve in the shop, people loading trollies to overflowing.

That has to set alarm bells ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Dunnes may choose to:
    A. Hold onto these stores & ride out the storm. Look at re-opening them at some stage in the future should a future trading environment warrant it.
    B. Sell these Leaseholds/Freeholds on to other retailers (like ALdi, Lidl, Tesco, Asda etc) & use the proceeds to finance current & future operations

They held onto a closed store in Waterford like that before. They opened a new store in a new (at the time) shopping centre across the road from their old store. But they kept the old store, unused. The new store, like the old store, was only drapery. The reason for no grocery is a whole different story. But when they were eventually able to open grocery, they used one floor of the new store for that and moved the ladies department back to the old store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sawah

hey all, ive been reading through all the posts about a possible wal-mart/asda take over.....
    ive been working with dunnes in galway for the last year....
    so far we have not seen much of a change in the way the store is run...sure there is little stock in the drapery storerooms, but thats usually been the case...i work in the deli in grocery, and sure sales are down, but only slightly...

there was an important meeting in galway last saturday, our store manager had to go to it and as far as i know so did the rest of them in galway, some jacobs guy from head office was at it too...he ended up visiting all the stores in galway too....

in my opinion i dont think there will be a take over (at least not yet anyway)...what has been happening with certain stores closing etc is probably the worst that is going to happen....sure theres 6 stores here in galway alone, and in my opinion they only need 4 of them, if even and that would do all parts of the city and suburbs....

and finally i cant remember who said it, but someone mentioned that if wal-mart wanted to open here they could just do it without buying out dunnes....i agree thats something they can do (they sure can afford it) but what this company seems to want is an already established name in a country, like they did with asda!! ive spoken with customers who would not shop in the store if it was asda or anything like that....

sorry for the long post....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

sorry for interrupting this thread but like most dunnes workers im on a 15 hour contract,working part time,the hours were never terrible for me 20+ hours including sundays,but ever since jan i've been getting only 14 hours paid! is this in breach of contract,e'g tuesday 6-9 /thursday 6-10 /saturday 2-10 it adds up to 15 hours but minus the break on a sat im getting paid for 14 hrs only! :mad: please can anybody enlighten me on this.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bonnylass

Reply - Well if that store manager has "lost focus" & is not taking the voluntary redundancy, he will either lose his/her store very fast or be on the back door in Letterkenny at 5am the following Monday morning, for life!

rco2000.....just wondering what would be the problem with being stuck at the backdoor in letterkenny?! There would be absolutely no point in sending them up here as both our stores are under-performing as it is, not much happening at either backdoor!!

BTW dont know why every1 is so surprised about managers being offered this voluntary redundancy...didnt i tell you all 2 wks ago the staff up here had been offered the same paltry package??? Why would management be spared from it?! We are ALL just numbers!

triple-M wrote: »
    sorry for interrupting this thread but like most dunnes workers im on a 15 hour contract,working part time,the hours were never terrible for me 20+ hours including sundays,but ever since jan i've been getting only 14 hours paid! is this in breach of contract,e'g tuesday 6-9 /thursday 6-10 /saturday 2-10 it adds up to 15 hours but minus the break on a sat im getting paid for 14 hrs only! :mad: please can anybody enlighten me on this.:(

Have you tried bringing this up with your HR manager?? If not do! You are contracted to work a minimum of 15 paid hrs (iv the same contract!), so id fight for those hrs! Dunnes hav a habit of chancing their arms with things like this, but id argue my point if i were you! It could simply be an oversight when they were doing up the analysis all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

:eek:you should say something about that 15 hours paid is the min.yes this is a breach of your contract. get it sorted

Bonnylass wrote: »
    Have you tried bringing this up with your HR manager?? If not do! You are contracted to work a minimum of 15 paid hrs (iv the same contract!), so id fight for those hrs! Dunnes hav a habit of chancing their arms with things like this, but id argue my point if i were you! It could simply be an oversight when they were doing up the analysis all the same!
    I said it to hr and they said once I am rostered in atleast 15 hrs whether they are paid or unpaid is irrelevant because thats all my contract entitles me to,but the contract says i will be required to work 15 hours per week it doesnt mention whether they have to be paid for or not(well,not that i know of),sorry for going off topic i'll leave it at that

p.s Dunnes in blanchardstown were planning a major refurbishment for the last 2 years which finally got underway last sept but ever since this whole asda rumour came to light the refurbishment was put off again :eek: I wonder if this has anything to do with the possible buyout?

• Advertisement

I said it to hr and they said once I am rostered in atleast 15 hrs whether they are paid or unpaid is irrelevant because thats all my contract entitles me to,but the contract says i will be required to work 15 hours per week it doesnt mention whether they have to be paid for or not(well,not that i know of),sorry for going off topic i'll leave it at that

p.s Dunnes in blanchardstown were planning a major refurbishment for the last 2 years which finally got underway last sept but ever since this whole asda rumour came to light the refurbishment was put off again :eek: I wonder if this has anything to do with the possible buyout?
    :confused:look into this more they would not get away with that in our store it is 15 hours paid i know its omly 1 hour but dont let them away with it

joes girls wrote: »
    :confused:look into this more they would not get away with that in our store it is 15 hours paid i know its omly 1 hour but dont let them away with it
    i'll actually give head office a ring about it tomorrow because when I say it to our personnel manager she just uses the whole recession/cutbacks excuse and puts and ends the discussion.:mad::mad:

ash_18x wrote: »
    Anyway all these talks about Asda taking over and them selling out are good publicity for Dunnes..........
    My husband was offered the voluntary redundancy yesterday, he however is not going to take it as he is only there a year and a half so it wouldnt be worth it.
    what they offered is not good enough a manager in waterford has took it but if what i heard is right she was sort of bullied into it :(is this going to happen more

rco2000.....just wondering what would be the problem with being stuck at the backdoor in letterkenny?! There would be absolutely no point in sending them up here as both our stores are under-performing as it is, not much happening at either backdoor!!

Hello Bonnylass!
    I have nothing against Letterkenny, in fact I spent 2 of the best years of my life working in Letterkenny & made friends for life up there - Golden Grill on a Sat nite, Jacksons in Ballyboffey every Tue nite etc
    Years ago in DS, they sent managers from further down South up to Letterkenny especially if they were messing with staff, non performing or indeed they were trying to get rid of them.
    Alot of these managers left b4 they went to Letterkenny because it was so far away from their base etc. However, most of the managers that went ended up loving Letterkenny and it back fired on the DS HQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The Dunnes in Blanch is probably waiting for the bad memories of January sales figures to go away. My store, Stephens Green, put off its renovation again and again for months at a time. It is still not finished completely...or at least not to the standards of henry Street and other new Dunnes..losing stores from signage and receipts for one thing.

Dunnes will still get rent from any closed stores since they own the stores...so it'd be easy to re-open them again.

lille wrote: »

in our store we have had no fags for last 3 weeks are dunnes paying the bills? and i hope cant make us take redundancy they cant can they ?:p

in our store we have had no fags for last 3 weeks are dunnes paying the bills? and i hope cant make us take redundancy they cant can they ?:p

We've had no cigarettes either for the past few wks, a problem with the supplier not getting paid :rolleyes: don't know how big of a deal it is all the same, i wouldn't read too much into it.

And to answer your other question, yes they can "make" you take redundancy. Any company can providing they can prove there simply is no longer a need for them to have you in their employ (like now when half the stores are under-performing) If you haven't got two years service though you'll be entitled to zilch!! I've spoken to our union and if they are determined to off-load some staff they will. Voluntary redundancies are just their way of letting ppl think they're doing it "the nice way"!! (though we'd still get the same if dunnes disappeared off the face of the earth!!)

PR PR PR!!!! :D

Hello Bonnylass!
    I have nothing against Letterkenny, in fact I spent 2 of the best years of my life working in Letterkenny & made friends for life up there - Golden Grill on a Sat nite, Jacksons in Ballyboffey every Tue nite etc
    Years ago in DS, they sent managers from further down South up to Letterkenny especially if they were messing with staff, non performing or indeed they were trying to get rid of them.
    Alot of these managers left b4 they went to Letterkenny because it was so far away from their base etc. However, most of the managers that went ended up loving Letterkenny and it back fired on the DS HQ!

Gosh rco2000, jacksons on a tue night....long time ago (don't worry, i remember it too lol!!) I'll agree with you for some poor sap being sent from down south, LK would hav seemed like the back end of beyond! Though our wee town is still getting bigger and bigger every day. Still not big enough for the two Dunnes shops that we have! So sick of everyday deflecting questions from confused customers wondering what is happening...especially when we've no idea ourselves!

But the only good thing to come from it is the snidey "be grateful you have a job" remarks have stopped!! Thank the Lord for small mercies ;)

Gosh rco2000, jacksons on a tue night....long time ago (don't worry, i remember it too lol!!) I'll agree with you for some poor sap being sent from down south, LK would hav seemed like the back end of beyond! Though our wee town is still getting bigger and bigger every day. Still not big enough for the two Dunnes shops that we have! So sick of everyday deflecting questions from confused customers wondering what is happening...especially when we've no idea ourselves!

But the only good thing to come from it is the snidey "be grateful you have a job" remarks have stopped!! Thank the Lord for small mercies ;)

Just had a lovely bowl of complan!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sawah

most stores had that problem, i dont know why exactly but the suppliers who are Gallahers have decided to stop supplying dunnes....i dont know if its because they were not getting paid or what, but thats why theres been none in a lot of stores

Advertisement