Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes - Asda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

ahh all is gone quite our store manager is not very happy looking but no real diff there then if he was happy then it would be time to worry no one got any news

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

The quicker Wall-Mart/Asda take over Dunne,s the better as was said earlier in this thread we really need some competion in this country.
    They might actually create some badly needed jobs.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Believe it or not the pay to sales ratio in Dunnes is actually generous, if another company takes over be prepared for a different type customer service.

Irish department stores always had a tradition of investing in payroll and squeezing other areas.

Remember what Roches stores was like be fore Debenhams took over, difference of 1% pay to sales makes a big difference in service.....

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Believe it or not the pay to sales ratio in Dunnes is actually generous, if another company takes over be prepared for a different type customer service.

Spot on.

The quicker Wall-Mart/Asda take over Dunne,s the better as was said earlier in this thread we really need some competion in this country.

Dunnes provide many thousands thousands of jobs already & pay their Irish taxes. The diff will be that Walmart/Asda profits will go abroad to the USA.

• Advertisement

:)or we might lose our jobs dunnes dont really let their staff go just cut back on hours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Dunnes employ 18,000 people. Do you really think if Asda took over, jobs would be created? First of all, all of the badly-located and unprofitable drapery stores would go, and there's a lot of these. Jobs created would be in the expansion of current supermarkets, which would pale in comparison to drapery job losses. George at Asda isn't big enough to replace current Dunnes drapery and there is no homewares. Unless they keep using the same suppliers and use all of the same clothes..

just had a really really ****ty day in work i really could not care less if bloody batman takes over at this stage

joes girls wrote: »
    just had a really really ****ty day in work i really could not care less if bloody batman takes over at this stage

Rumour has it Asda are opening a store in Gotham City - batman will be too busy keeping order & shoplifters from robin :D

rco2000 wrote: »
    Rumour has it Asda are opening a store in Gotham City - batman will be too busy keeping order & shoplifters from robin :D
    :D:D:Dat last someone got me to smile today :D
    i wish dunnes would just come out with it and say it was nothing but rumour feed up with the whole thing and when people ask when is the takeover happen and you dont know they look at ya as if your some sort of dunnes lovin person that wont spill the beans ....ya as if:mad:

• Advertisement

:D:D:Dat last someone got me to smile today :D
    i wish dunnes would just come out with it and say it was nothing but rumour feed up with the whole thing and when people ask when is the takeover happen and you dont know they look at ya as if your some sort of dunnes lovin person that wont spill the beans ....ya as if:mad:

You have our sympathies. The fact that it is only rumour is enough, enough to tell them to wise up & buy more!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

I have to say, Im getting annoyed just listening to the whole takeover bs I mean at the moment its all rumor anyways. I even joined the union and now alot of people I work with are joining the union just as if its going to make a hill of beans anyways.

I read in the local rag which I ironically got from outside the Dunnes where I work that redundencies for managers and all that and 10 percent reduction in staff hours, all this we knew last week anyways.

This whole thing is getting way out of hand It's all just a rumor until ole maggie gets off her throne in "costa del chicken skin tan" and says right me pensions reduced to a couple of mill I'm selling the place.

It's actually so annoying customers asking over and over and over again "whens the take over" "is your job safe"

Look lets face it, if it happens it happens we cant do ANYTHING till something is announced. the way the 10% cut in hours was stated sorta hints that they arnt selling up yet to be honest there just cutting back cuse of the recession

screw it im tired of hearing about it at this stage lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bonnylass

Here here!! I was stuck in customer services today and STILL people are asking when the BIG take-over is :mad: i honestly do not think its happening! Unfortunately in the current climate were people are losing jobs every day, and this being a country that thrives on bad news, there will always be people asking these questions every day. Sad but true :(

Bonnylass wrote: »
    Here here!! I was stuck in customer services today and STILL people are asking when the BIG take-over is :mad: i honestly do not think its happening! Unfortunately in the current climate were people are losing jobs every day, and this being a country that thrives on bad news, there will always be people asking these questions every day. Sad but true :(
    im with you the longer this goes on the more i think its all a bit mad:rolleyes:
    our store is doing ok but hours cut alot and nite pack might go:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

How about we all just forget about it until something happens!

We might end up talking ourselves into a recession Asda takeover of Dunnes.. :rolleyes:

funkyflea wrote: »
    How about we all just forget about it until something happens!

We might end up talking ourselves into a recession Asda takeover of Dunnes.. :rolleyes:
    :Dwould love to all i care about now is keeping a weeks wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

Yeah most people are just so devoid of anything interesting to say there just dying to say "i told you so" as if there next breath depended on it. I think best way to look at it is. If it happens atleast we all have the comfort in knowing we never had a choice in the matter..... also sad but true, I mean we only work for the place but how or never.

Anyways ive said enough on the matter im sure if anything is made public we will all know about it and the news will be all over it like a pimple on Megan Fox's arse cheeks.....(theres a thought)

im with you the longer this goes on the more i think its all a bit mad:rolleyes:
    our store is doing ok but hours cut alot and nite pack might go:(

Well they haven't really cut our hours, but they are talking of cutting the closing hours yet again which will badly affect the evening/weekend staff (i work days so im not too bad), we're averaging around 25/26 hrs. But thats because we are running on the bare minimum of staff, they've even taken staff from other depts this wk to checkouts because there are a few off on hols...and they are looking for redundancies :confused: we're all just dying to find out the upshot of all of this because SOMETHING is going on!! (not a take-over though :P)

Yeah it sucks when my lectures end at 5 and I have to leg it to work, because my shift is 4.30-7.30 since the shop closes at 7 instead of 8 now. Apparently they can't give me 5-7.30 because there's a danger it's an illegal shift or something. Friday has gone back up to 8, since it was badly affecting grocery to close an hour earlier.

My hours are going up and down, I'm part-time, I got 24 hours for the last 2 weeks and now I'm back to 18ish.

Yeah it sucks when my lectures end at 5 and I have to leg it to work, because my shift is 4.30-7.30 since the shop closes at 7 instead of 8 now. Apparently they can't give me 5-7.30 because there's a danger it's an illegal shift or something. Friday has gone back up to 8, since it was badly affecting grocery to close an hour earlier.

My hours are going up and down, I'm part-time, I got 24 hours for the last 2 weeks and now I'm back to 18ish.
    :eek:our opening hours are still the same but only getting about 22 hours big drop from 35 :(

• Advertisement

God your shop closes at 7 :eek: what were the opening hours before that?! Yeah theres some rule you cant work a shift less than 3 hours long...stupid i know, but who wants 3 hour shifts anyway, a waste of time nearly. Iv never had one shorter than 4 luckily. Most of the eve/wknders with us are only gettin the bare 15 p/w, god only knows what will happen when their hours get cut. Most of them are students too. Wonder who'll be the first out the door when they start the lay-offs....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dunnesworkerni

up north it's getting just as tight. In our store daytime staff consists of 5 part timers getting 16hrs max. Evening + weekend getting 1 4hr shift per week. Customer services full time has been done away with and refunds r now done by managers.
    On top of that it's annoying when Every other customer saying we're closing or being taken over by asda.
    Hopefully things inprove soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lille

up north it's getting just as tight. In our store daytime staff consists of 5 part timers getting 16hrs max. Evening + weekend getting 1 4hr shift per week. Customer services full time has been done away with and refunds r now done by managers.
    On top of that it's annoying when Every other customer saying we're closing or being taken over by asda.

Everyone is entitled to a minimum of 15 hours a week. As far as i know all (last 10 years) contracts are for at least 15 hours. People should insist on getting these hours, 15 is little enough without been cut anymore.

Bonnylass wrote: »
    God your shop closes at 7 :eek: what were the opening hours before that?! Yeah theres some rule you cant work a shift less than 3 hours long...stupid i know, but who wants 3 hour shifts anyway, a waste of time nearly. Iv never had one shorter than 4 luckily. Most of the eve/wknders with us are only gettin the bare 15 p/w, god only knows what will happen when their hours get cut. Most of them are students too. Wonder who'll be the first out the door when they start the lay-offs....

It's a Dublin flagship. 8.30-8 it used to be. The Thursday 9 is back to 8. Sunday 10-7 is now 11-7. We also open New Year's Day. This is really all down to the fact we have a grocery tbh. It's my weekend hours that are being cut, my shifts are always tuesday, wednesday and friday 4.30-7.30. The weekend can vary from being 10-7.30 Saturday and 11-7.30 sun wayy down to 4-7.30 Sat and 3-7.30 Sun. It makes a difference of at least €120 when the weekend jumps like that. They cannot cut them past 15, every so often someone gets 12/13 hour weeks..if they complain, they're given more hours. First out the door is staff on probation. Next is staff down to grocery from drapery. But they did it so badly in my store that we are actually hiring now! They had/still have 2 staff for footwear/accessories...one is full time and one is flexi, so the flexi person couldn't do closings the whole week. Ughh.

it still goes on , when is the takeover, is dunnes sold, will you still have a job .......come on people leave me alone . i tell them now that they will know before me .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is your store actually in the 6 counties or are you in the republic.

I ask because I haven't heard of any chain in the north cutting hours to the same extent as the south........

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dunnesworkerni

I work in a store in northern Ireland. Latest rumour is they want rid of 10 managers up here. Basic redundancy -1 wks for each yr worked

I work in a store in northern Ireland. Latest rumour is they want rid of 10 managers up here. Basic redundancy -1 wks for each yr worked
    they wanted to get rid of 60 in the south 2 weeks for every year redundancy:(

Yeah but how many Dunnes in the North compared to the South? I'd say the North has about 25 and the South has over 100. (although..a few have closed etc.)

• Advertisement

there was some head manager down today all fulltime staff are to be put on gro checkouts so that will leave me with all the crap shifts .....cant wait.

Advertisement