Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Sligo to live

Options
  • 29-01-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I have been reading the "Where in Sligo are you from?" thread and I started thinking where is the best place in Sligo to live. I immediately thought Rosses Point and if I ever decide to move back on a permanent basis (and I can afford it) I defintely aim to get a place there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The rosses eh? Ooh, very posh indeed. I'd say somewhere like Coolaney, Mullachmore or some sort of villagie place

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

CSC wrote: »
    I have been reading the "Where in Sligo are you from?" thread and I started thinking where is the best place in Sligo to live. I immediately thought Rosses Point and if I ever decide to move back on a permanent basis (and I can afford it) I defintely aim to get a place there.

Depends on your age and what you're into. If you're looking for a quiet sea side village with little or no nightlife, access to a beach and a Golf Course then it would be nice. Good access to Sligo also.

I know someone living there and he admits he would prefer to live in Strandhill as RP is a bit dull in the eve's. He's in his 30's..

You'll also have to ask yourself if you can afford it. Probabably Sligo's most expensive village ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd love to live in Strandhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

GG66 wrote: »
    Depends on your age and what you're into. If you're looking for a quiet sea side village with little or no nightlife, access to a beach and a Golf Course then it would be nice. Good access to Sligo also.

I know someone living there and he admits he would prefer to live in Strandhill as RP is a bit dull in the eve's. He's in his 30's..

You'll also have to ask yourself if you can afford it. Probabably Sligo's most expensive village ..

I've always liked the atmosphere out there. I've spent a couple of nights in one of the pubs there and always enjoyed it.
    I wouldn't mind it being quiet as it close enough to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think I'd quite like Strandhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I've always liked the atmosphere out there. I've spent a couple of nights in one of the pubs there and always enjoyed it.
    I wouldn't mind it being quiet as it close enough to the town.

I'm from Rosses Point and while I love the place dearly, in my memories, I would hate to live there now as it seem to be populated by muppets with money or wannabee's, who spend their time comparing themselves to their neighbours. A very different place than in my youth:rolleyes: Really compared to 30 years ago it is a dump, you can barely get a pint (milk or guinness) at 5 in the evening of a Friday. Remember when Ewings, Boyers and dohertys all open at all hours, Reveries, hackets, Austies the moorings etc. You can not even get petrol there now! Locals are almost afraid to buy milk in the one last place you can because its minging! They are all gone or may as well be and there is f**k all there now. Compare that to Strandhill.

Anyhow my vote would be Strandhill over RP any day which is mad considering RP has one of the finest beaches in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd love to live in Strandhill.

+2

(me and mrs T)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Anyhow my vote would be Strandhill over RP any day which is mad considering RP has one of the finest beaches in the world!

After the Dutch beaches you mean ofcourse!?:D

A fine beach indeed (RP) though!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

If you are renting and have to live in town anywhere in riverside its close to town centre quiet, beautiful area, buy a boat and spend your summer on lough gill

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

If you are renting and have to live in town anywhere in riverside its close to town centre quiet, beautiful area, buy a boat and spend your summer on lough gill

Right idea, some nice islands on the lake. Lovely in the Summer if the weather is half decent..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

True, it has to be the classiest place all right, with the nicest beaches, walk, views of both mountains etc. Also the golf course, pier + sailing club..all within easy access of Sligo. Its nice to go there in the summer. So what if there is not an amusement arcade or big supermarket there, people who live there can shop elsewhere. The Point is the most expensive place in Co. Sligo, and the price reflects demand there. The market is always right. There are plenty of other nice places around Co. Sligo too. Everyone to their own / what they can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

''Anyhow my vote would be Strandhill over RP any day which is mad considering RP has one of the finest beaches in the world!''

up there with the Copacabana eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Yeah the beach in RP is grand and all but I gotta say i'd prefer the beach at Lower Rosses myself! A lot more room!

I work in Strandhill so my vote would go that way also!
    Culleenamore is a grand beach also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'd have to agree with everyone who said Strandhill over Rosses Point.There is much more atmosphere and the place is much more lively and buzzing.Nice restaurants,pubs,a shop where you can get your essentials like milk,bread etc..
    Strandhill isn't the cheapest place to buy a house but in the last few years there are alot more affordable houses there.
    The beach is also nice,a good long walk which brings you around the head to Cullenamore and the surfing is great.

Can't beat it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

By the by.
    I noticed that a house in a small development in Rosses Point is going for €250,000!

A couple years ago these houses were "worth" well over half a mill!

Advertisement