Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to grill a chicken fillet on a griddle pan

• 29-01-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hi, first post on this forum!

i regularly cook chicken fillets on a griddle pan but i can never cook it as nice as i would like it. its usually ok but not as nice as it could be.

does anyone here use a griddle pan to cook meat? how do you do it nice everytime?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How 'not nice'?
    What's wrong with it?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

wrap the fillet in cling film first and flatten it out a fair bit with a mallet.
    brush it in oil and roll in in cajun seasoning or similar.
    grill or griddle pan for 5mins each side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Marinate it in a little oil, lemon juice, soy sauce and garlic (chilli too if you like) and it will taste fab and not go tough on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some chicken fillets will be a bit on the thick side to cook well like this, so either do as copacetic said and flatten them, or just butterfly them (cut into one long side and fold outwards). Then marinade it in something (just oil and thyme works as well as anything), doesn't have to be vey long at all, and grill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

if it's the appearance you are having a problem with then remember NOT to move the chicken once you've laid it on the griddle thus giving you that set of clearly defined charred stripes. Turn it just once.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Diva242

Marinate it in a little oil, lemon juice, soy sauce and garlic (chilli too if you like) and it will taste fab and not go tough on the outside.

I also do it this way... it's fab!! I always use Soy with Chilli in it though, it's available nearly everywhere and it's not too hot - just gives it a bit of a kick! Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 yeah_ok

hi thanks everyone for the replies.

i dont usually have a problem with the seasoning or flavouring of the chicken. the main problem i have is i cant really ensure the inside gets cooked enough without 'toughening' or overdoing the outside a bit if that makes sense.

should i cook it on a really low heat for however long it takes?

thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think if you cook it slowly on a low heat it will be tough. The thing about marinating it is that it will make it cook quickly and stay moist and tender.
    If you bash it a bit first in a freezer bag it certainly shouldn't take more than a 4 or 5minutes a side for it to cook. People have a tendency to overcook chicken 'just in case'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

lemon juice and thyme is a good way too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This recipe from Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food is easy and quite tasty:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/meat-recipes/parmesan-chicken-breasts-with-crispy-pos

Can be a bit salty though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 yeah_ok

thanks everyone. i think ill try the method of thinning the chicken to about 1cm before cooking it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I cooked two chicken breasts last night. Skin on and no bones. Allowed to come to room temperature for 1 hour before cooking. Salt, pepper and oil. On the griddle for 5 minutes each side, then in a 200c oven, still in the griddle pan, skin side up for ten minutes. They were cooked, soft and moist, with a crispy skin. Allowed to rest for ten minutes before slicing.

If you are worried that they are undercooked, take the meat and cut into the thickest part of it - don't cut from the skin side - if it needs a few more minutes, then bang it in the oven for another five minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chicken breasts are a dry cut of meat and will not reward by being overcooked.
    While we all know not to cook rare chicken, this doesn't mean we have to cook it until it's dry and hard. It's very easy to cook it a bit more (as stated above) but impossible to get it back once it's overcooked.
    Chicken should have no red in it when cooked but should be moist.

Same goes for pork.
    Nothing worse than dry, cardboard-like, overcooked roast pork.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

I like chicken breast with chilli salt; just crush up dried chilli with sea salt, score the chicken diagonally about 1cm apart & 5mm deep, sprinkle with the salt & cook on a griddle that's been preheated for no more than 5 - 7 minutes per side depending on the size of the fillet.

Advertisement