Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you rather have in your team?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Torres or Adebayor

Villa or Etoo

Messi or Ronaldo

Xavi or Fabregas

Rio or Carvalho

Casillas or Buffon

Iniesta or Lampard

Evra or Clichy

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Torres or Adebayor
    Villa or Etoo
    Messi or Ronaldo
    Xavi or Fabregas
    Rio or Carvalho
    Casillas or Buffon
    Iniesta or Lampard
    Evra or Clichy
    Dani Alves or Maicon
    Essien or Mascherano
    Vidic or Carragher
    Berbatov or Tevez why choose when we can have both?
    Henry or Arshavin
    Ireland or Arteta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

eagle eye wrote: »
    I competely disagree with your belief that Torres is a better dribbler. Ade is faster and better at beating players imo. He is also a better passer of the ball and is not nearly as greedy as Torres. I'd say that Torres is the better finisher.

Are you for real. I don't think Ade has a patch on Torres for pace/acceleration or beating players. How many times has torres dropped to the halfway line and just taken on players with his pace.
    I think Eto'o is the only other striker with that electrifying turn of pace. Now maybe the ball control is not Messi-esqe but it is still so difficult for defenders to combat.
    I do think Ade is a class player but i wouldn't pick him ahead of torres ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ibh wrote: »
    Are you for real. I don't think Ade has a patch on Torres for pace/acceleration or beating players. How many times has torres dropped to the halfway line and just taken on players with his pace.
    I think Eto'o is the only other striker with that electrifying turn of pace. Now maybe the ball control is not Messi-esqe but it is still so difficult for defenders to combat.
    I do think Ade is a class player but i wouldn't pick him ahead of torres ever.
    Ok, I was talking about beating players in front of you with the ball at your feet.
    As far as the pace thing is concerned I think Adebayor is as fast as Torres and maybe quicker off the mark and he has great strength as well to hold off defenders when he needs to.
    Its very rare that you get to see these players get a chance to do it from the halfway line or close to it as most defenses sit back against the top teams. I'd imagine that most people probably see Torres in a different light due to the players around him. The Arsenal team is so full of pace that Ade does not look as pacey as he would do in other teams.
    Adebayor is an excellent header of the ball as well, and he is well ahead of Torres in that department.

Anyways each to his own.
    And just so you know, I'm not slating Torres here, I thought that Adebayor was ahead of him as an all around player last season but I thought Torres was a splendid performer as well. I rate both of them very very highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Torres
    Etoo
    Messi
    Xavi
    Rio (2 years ago Carvalho)
    Casillas
    Iniesta
    Evra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

staker wrote: »
    Torres

Etoo

Messi

Xavi

Rio

Buffon

Iniesta

Evra

This. Surprised it took so long for someone to come up with that combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Torres or Adebayor - IMO a very tough choice. Adebayor I think is a cracking player.

Villa or Etoo - Easy choice

Messi or Ronaldo - Toughest choice. This year Messi has been better so far. But both at their peak, I'd pick Ronaldo. He's not as beautiful a dribbler as Messi, but he's one of the most clinical finishers in the world.

Xavi or Fabregas - Ouch, Fabregas for youth.

Rio or Carvalho - Incredibly tight again, 2 best defenders in the league imo.

Casillas or Buffon

Iniesta or Lampard - If you don't watch La Liga much, you might not realise just how amazing Iniesta is.

Evra or Clichy - Evra is sounder defensively.

Dani Alves or Maicon

Essien or Mascherano - Essien imo is the best defensive midfielder I've seen since Keane and Vieira. Fantastic player.

Vidic or Carragher

Berbatov or Tevez

Henry or Arshavin

Ireland or Arteta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Torres or Adebayor - I'll take Torres.

Villa or Etoo - Don't really see too much of a competition with this one. Eto'o is frequently astoundly brilliant and is probably the best striker in the world.

Messi or Ronaldo - Hard. I'll take Messi because of his incredible season.

Xavi or Fabregas - Fabregas has plenty of off-days. This shades it in Xavi's favour.

Rio or Carvalho - Without question Rio Ferdinand any day of the week.

Casillas or Buffon - Head says Ilker, heart says Gigi!

Iniesta or Lampard - I really rate Iniesta but Lampard is a jammy git and his heavily deflected goals would come in handy.

Evra or Clichy - Evra is incredible. A genuinely reliable and attacking left-back.

Dani Alves or Maicon - Maicon could be considered a far more consistent and solid performer but for moments of magic I'd have to take Alves.

Essien or Mascherano - Essien, I'm sure Sir Alex Ferguson was quite miffed when he saw how good Essien turned out to be. His absence has cost Chelsea dearly.

Vidic or Carragher - Vidic has been the definition of a blood-n'-guts centre back since 2006/2007. Raised his game immeasurably this season and alongside Rio Ferdinand forms the basis of Man United's seemingly impermeable defence.

Berbatov or Tevez - Pains me to say this but I'd take Berbatov over Carlitos. He is an artist.

Henry or Arshavin - Tierry Henry, alongside Platini, Zidane and Cantona rank as the perhaps the most creative and mercurial players in French football history. Arshavin is a good player. But since Euro 2008, and in many cases before Euro 2008, he has flattered to deceive.

Ireland or Arteta - Arteta wins this toss-up. I think highly of both but believe Arteta has more to offer in the long run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Adebayor

Villa

Ronaldo

Fabregas

Rio

Casillas

Lampard

Evra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Torres

Villa

Messi

Xavi

Rio

Buffon

Lampard

Evra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Torres or Adebayor? Torres, as much as I like Adebayor, he is one of the most wasteful strikers I've ever seen (along with Wayne Rooney). Torres is excellent, still not as good as Villa though. :pac:

Villa or Etoo? Eto'o, but I'm biased. On paper from a footballing stand point, Villa is the better striker in most departments, but Eto'o has proved how much of a menace he is. His goal scoring record is phenomenal, almost as good as predators like Nistelrooy, but he has a larger presence in other areas of the pitch. Thus I prefer him, he is a good passer and a good defender. Any forward that states 'he loves scoring goals, but prefers winning the ball from his opponent' is fine with me.:pac:

Messi or Ronaldo? Messi hands down (obv gonna be biased), Ronaldo was a lethal finisher last season, but Messi is a lethal finisher this season as well as being a midfield play maker and all around creator. Over both their careers so far Messi beats Ronaldo in almost every department, and is still 2 years younger.

Xavi or Fabregas? Last season Fabregas, Xavi every other. Xavi has added so much to his game this year, if anyone watched him over the past 3 seasons you can see how different and more influential Xavi has become.

Rio or Carvalho? Rio, best defender in the world atm. Best defender since Nesta (albeit not as good).

Casillas or Buffon? Casillas. Nuff said.

Iniesta or Lampard? I've chosen Xavi, so now unfortunately I need a goal scoring midfielder, so I'll choose Lampard as he is a true proven goal scoring midfielder. Even though Iniesta is a better player in every other department. I've tried to keep bias out of one of my choices, and this one pains me, considering Iniesta is one of my favourite players. :pac:

Evra or Clichy? Clichy, I just think he is a better player overall.

Dani Alves or Maicon? Alves for sure, as Sid Lowe says, he's the 2nd best player in the world atm, and also a big reason why Messi is considered the best.

Essien or Mascherano? Essien, the complete midfielder, however he is often the victim of his own utility. Wasted as a DMF considering how good his attacking quality is.

Vidic or Carragher? Vidic. Nuff said.

Berbatov or Tevez? Berbatov, Tevez never really impressed me outside of Man Utd tbh. Always been sh*te anytime I've seen him for Argentina.

Henry or Arshavin? Henry, can't say I've seen enough of Arshavin to make an educated decision, but Henry has been fantastic so far this campaign imo.

Ireland or Arteta? Ireland, I think Arteta is over-rated. Players like him are a dime a dozen in other leagues, but considering most of the non- top 4 teams in the PL don't have such creative midfielders he gets too much limelight imo.

Advertisement