Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake paypal email

Options
  • 29-01-2009 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Just got an email saying I spent 40 dollars on headphones, which I never ordered. Its fake though, the email account is a different one to the one I set up paypal with and its a different email address from paypal if you follow. Has anyone else gotten something like this lately and is there something I should do to make sure I haven't been charged for the product? I'm assuming if I click any of the links in the email I will be charged or something else bad might happen. Thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ignore the email and all links within it. Check your paypal account directly by entering the address in your browser, and loggin in normally.

These emails are really common, I havent got that exact thing, but at the moment, spam emails are running a theme of 'we have received your payment/order/money'. Next month it could be back to confirming your bank details, or prince umbongo offering you his millions. The themes are almost seasonal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Report it to paypal and let them chase the scammer.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_external-webform&f=pps_spf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

yup i got them.right next to the one from a lady in Nigeria asking for me to deposit money in her acc. ignore and report to Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

RECEIVED A FAKE EMAIL PURPORTING TO BE EX PAYPAL TODAY. IT WAS FOR AN ITEM THAT I WAS SELLING ON WWW.ADVERTS.IE. BE VERY CAREFUL FOLKS.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oryx wrote: »
    Ignore the email and all links within it. Check your paypal account directly by entering the address in your browser, and loggin in normally.

These emails are really common, I havent got that exact thing, but at the moment, spam emails are running a theme of 'we have received your payment/order/money'. Next month it could be back to confirming your bank details, or prince umbongo offering you his millions. The themes are almost seasonal. :)

Cool thanks. I might have written it off as spam normally but I only set up the damn paypal yesterday so was a bit shocked, obviously just a coincidence. Cheers for replies peeps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement