Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan of a Fine soldering iron

Options
  • 29-01-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Yo my brother broke a capacitor off his board installing water cooling - bummer, so he needs a very fine soldering iron, I'm going into town tomorrow to buy him one, I don't know how much they cost but it's a bit of a waste of money buying it for just one capacitor, anyway I thought I'd see if there was any kind person on here who would be able to lend me one for an evening, I'm near Dundrum. No worries if not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

well I bought an iron - it had a fine tip and was 12 watt but It couldn't melt the solder on the board - has anyone any experience of this, basically the two legs from the broken capacitor are still in the board - i want to get them out and replace with a capacitor from a spare board - is it worth my while exchanging this iron for another or would it be best to just buy a new board ?

has anyone any thoughts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've no soldering experience but Maplins sell cheap fine irons and packs of capacitors for pretty cheap, so yeah if you can do it it'd be way cheaper then buying a new board...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Probably you should have got one by now but in case somebody else see this thread.

One of the very best for the puprose you need is :

Antex 15 Watt Soldering Iron - Model C

and i found it in Peats store (Parnel str)

The less watt the better for smd and beginners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

You may need to desolder the existing contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I got one in Maplins but it wouldn't melt the exisitng solder - either iron wasn't strong enough or it's some kind of super solder on the board - had to get a new board and maplins wouldn't take the iron back because it had been used

• Advertisement
Advertisement