Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burgman 400

• 29-01-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Anyone got a burgman 400. I'm thinking of getting one and am just looking for some feedback on what it's like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A scooter :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not sure, but I have an Aprilia Atlantic 500 (mental note: buy battery...:rolleyes: ) and big scooters just make so much sense.

Quicker than a car. Big enough not to get blown around. Big enough not to get ignored, and you can cruise at +legal speeds even on a motorway.

Then, get where you're going, put your gear/helmet etc all under the seat, and walk away.

Great fairings, comfortable, fantastic auto in mad traffic.

Everyone should have one, tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Seems to be a decent enough scooter.

Big and comfy, with a decent amount of oomph!

P.S. A motorbike is more fun. Get one if you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not sure, but I have an Aprilia Atlantic 500 (mental note: buy battery...:rolleyes: ) and big scooters just make so much sense.

Quicker than a car. Big enough not to get blown around. Big enough not to get ignored, and you can cruise at +legal speeds even on a motorway.

Then, get where you're going, put your gear/helmet etc all under the seat, and walk away.

Great fairings, comfortable, fantastic auto in mad traffic.

Everyone should have one, tbh.

He makes a good case for it and the Atlantic looks the biz too.

For a start, anything with 2-wheels and an engine in my book IS a motorbike........

And a 'conventional' bike is not necessarily better. Riding a GSX-R in city centre traffic is painful. Literally. Riding it on the track is great. The scooter might be the other way around - that doesn't make the bike better/more fun......it just means it is best at a different task. As much as sports car and MPV.

So, you can do what I do. Buy the scooter, which I guarantee you'll get a lot of use out of. And when you can, park a 'motorbike':rolleyes:...in the garage beside it.

Me? That's what I did. AA500 and a R-K Custom and an old RGV250.

All covered there, methinks :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

A scooter :eek:

using it purely for commuting in the urban jungle that is dublin city and suburbs.

Have the 125 already - just getting p-ed of filtering to the top of the lights just to be undertaken by the higher powered cars on the inside shortly after the lights change.

will check out the Atlantic 500

Originally Posted by View Profile

Quote galwaytt:

For a start, anything with 2-wheels and an engine in my book IS a motorbike........

And a 'conventional' bike is not necessarily better. Riding a GSX-R in city centre traffic is painful. Literally. Riding it on the track is great. The scooter might be the other way around - that doesn't make the bike better/more fun......it just means it is best at a different task. As much as sports car and MPV.

Sorry if I offended your manly hood galwaytt by referring to your motorbike as a scooter.

The general consensus with most of us riders is that if it's automatic, has small narrow wheels, and you rest your feet on a centralised footboard then it's a scooter. While a motorbike usually refers to something with manual gears, which you straddle. But let's leave the pedantics aside shall we.;)

A number of years ago my mates younger brother wanted to join a Limerick based n MCC club . He was refused because he had a scooter. At the time my mate had a 125 which was a smaller CC to his brothers scooter. :p

Sorry if I offended your manly hood galwaytt by referring to your motorbike as a scooter.

The general consensus with most of us riders is that if it's automatic, has small narrow wheels, and you rest your feet on a centralised footboard then it's a scooter. While a motorbike usually refers to something with manual gears, which you straddle. But let's leave the pedantics aside shall we.;)

Hey, I'm beyond embarrassment, believe me. I married a Mod, and accompanied her to scooter rallies......on my GSX. In my leathers. If I can get over that, I'll get over anything :D

Consensus? I must have missed that meeting........:p Figure it like this: the tyres on my AA500 are the same width/profile as my RGV, but are 15" instead of 17"........hardly a cosmic gulf. Which is why the AA does handle well. And the brakes are as good, too, 3 x discs.

Let's not forget the first bikes had no gears, either.........that's only a 'recent' innovation, and as soon as bike transmission technology catches up with cars, they'll be gone again, too.

Reece: AA good, but decidedly different. Burgman more reliable, tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

Galwaytt

Let's not forget the first bikes had no gears, either.........that's only a 'recent' innovation, and as soon as bike transmission technology catches up with cars, they'll be gone again, too.

Recent. As in the last 80 years?!:eek:

While automatic transmission is handy in traffic, it won't replace the manual gear box. It hasn't with the car and it won't with the bike.
    Just look how difficult it is to sell an automatic car. No one wants them so they have terrible resale value.

Part of what I love about driving and riding is the ability to change gear when and how I like, rev the engine, drop the clutch, blip the throttle on down-shifts, etc. Taking that away would be a crime against motorcycling.

Anyway back to Reece:

My girlfriends dad has a Burgman 400. It's nice to ride, decent bit of poke, good storage space, and he hasn't had any problems with it.

I'd be a bit more sceptical about the Atlantic's reliability, being Italian and all.:p

Have you looked at the T-Max? I've always liked the look of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

never rode a big scooter meself. I dont see the problem with them myself. I presume their good on petrol and very comfortable. Twist and go all the way. Even though i have a bandit i hate all this motorbike v scooter.

Recent. As in the last 80 years?!:eek:
    yes........sigh, joke........;)

While automatic transmission is handy in traffic, it won't replace the manual gear box. It hasn't with the car and it won't with the bike.
    Just look how difficult it is to sell an automatic car. No one wants them so they have terrible resale value.
    Oh dear, haven't been to a car garage lately I'd say....... Auto's now commanding a premium over same model in manual. Certain cars, e.g. smaller merc's - you can't give them away if they're manual.
    Part of what I love about driving and riding is the ability to change gear when and how I like, rev the engine, drop the clutch, blip the throttle on down-shifts, etc. Taking that away would be a crime against motorcycling.
    .... I hear ya, but it's a misconception that you can't do the things you want - the control - buy having an auto. The only reason throttle is blipped on downshift is to match gear speeds for engagement purposes, in a manually selected 'box - outside of that is has zero value of function. Take a look at MotoGP, WSB and BSB bikes - all gone to auto shift mechanisms. I'm not advocating any particular form of auto, I'm just pointing out that the reason it's not popular 'til now, has been the limititations it had - efficiency, weight, complexity. Now that they've been addressed from an engineering point of view, as in the sports car world, they'll become the norm. Modern DSB/PDK type auto gearbox as fitted to (VAG/Porsche/Ferarri/Nissan GT-R) offers an increase in all respects, over manual. For a start - they can be driven in either manual or auto mode. Porsche now expect that the majority of their car fleet will now be 'auto' in the future, and their PDK box is MORE efficient, FASTER, and LOWERS EMISSIONS, over a straightforward manual. Naturally, all this comes at a price.
    Anyway back to Reece:

My girlfriends dad has a Burgman 400. It's nice to ride, decent bit of poke, good storage space, and he hasn't had any problems with it.

I'd be a bit more sceptical about the Atlantic's reliability, being Italian and all.:p

Have you looked at the T-Max? I've always liked the look of them.
    All true. Never ridden a T-Max, but they do seem to be an even closer amalgam of bike/scooter.

Ode To The Motorist

seanybiker wrote: »
    never rode a big scooter meself. I dont see the problem with them myself. I presume their good on petrol and very comfortable. Twist and go all the way. Even though i have a bandit i hate all this motorbike v scooter.
    The nearest thing I got to a "big scooter" was a Suzuki GSXF 750 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

reece wrote: »
    Anyone got a burgman 400. I'm thinking of getting one and am just looking for some feedback on what it's like?
    hi there i have a burgman and they are great!!! i got the 250 because it's the perfect size imo. i have an r6 aswell but for winter riding the burgman is great. also in the summer it's handy for shopping trips to town .lots of space under the seat etc,,, i can put my helmet and bike jacket under the seat and walk around town without allthe clobber!!! oh and the 250 does about 130-150 miles to 10 litres (my clock is miles) i think thats about 65/75 mpg

Advertisement