Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB using eircom router?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi could somebody tell me if its possible to use the eircom supplied netopia wireless router (cant find a model number on it anywhere)??

If it is possible, could someone tell me how to do it? :P

EDIT: forgot to mention that I tried just typing in my smart login and pass, but it wouldn't connect:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Eoin087 wrote: »
    Hi could somebody tell me if its possible to use the eircom supplied netopia wireless router (cant find a model number on it anywhere)??

If it is possible, could someone tell me how to do it? :P

EDIT: forgot to mention that I tried just typing in my smart login and pass, but it wouldn't connect:confused:

What's wrong with the Smart supplied modem/router? The Netopia will still work. Don't forget to set the VCI/VPI to 8/35 respectively. Authentication is PPPoE. If it's an older Netopia it may not support ADSL2+ but will still sync as ADSL1.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

Spear wrote: »
    What's wrong with the Smart supplied modem/router? The Netopia will still work. Don't forget to set the VCI/VPI to 8/35 respectively. Authentication is PPPoE. If it's an older Netopia it may not support ADSL2+ but will still sync as ADSL1.
    lol theres nothing wrong with it, it's just that the netopia router is wireless where as the smart one isn't. How would I find out if it supports adsl2+? The router is only 3 days old so I would assume that it's a newish model??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

lol theres nothing wrong with it, it's just that the netopia router is wireless where as the smart one isn't. How would I find out if it supports adsl2+? The router is only 3 days old so I would assume that it's a newish model??

If it's a recent one it'll almost certainly support ADSL2+ then. What's the precise model and version?

If it's a recent one it'll almost certainly support ADSL2+ then. What's the precise model and version?
    The model number is 2247-02 and the software version is 7.8.0r2.

The router still wont connect even with the settings changed to match the settings in the smart supplied router :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

On the status page, does it say you are synced at all?

• Advertisement

The model number is 2247-02 and the software version is 7.8.0r2.

The router still wont connect even with the settings changed to match the settings in the smart supplied router :confused:

Not being patronising, since someone's done this before, but have you unplugged the Thompson modem first before trying to sync/connect with the Netopis?

jor el wrote:
    On the status page, does it say you are synced at all?
    Don't know what you mean by synced so I took a screenshot of the status page and attached it to this post :o
    Spear wrote:
    Not being patronising, since someone's done this before, but have you unplugged the Thompson modem first before trying to sync/connect with the Netopis?
    lol yeah, I have the telephone line plugged into the netopia and that connected to the pc through an ethernet cable.

I got an error message saying "Cannot connect to target service. Please contact the help desk"
    lol switching between routers is starting to be a pain now :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Congratulations on joining Smart. You won't know yourself when it's up and running.

Are you sure the account has been enabled? Did you get the text?

The guys and gals on the Smart forums are usually very helpful. Put your phone number in your profile.

**edit You should remove your 'username' from your screenshot.

Don't know what you mean by synced so I took a screenshot of the status page and attached it to this post :o

lol yeah, I have the telephone line plugged into the netopia and that connected to the pc through an ethernet cable.

I got an error message saying "Cannot connect to target service. Please contact the help desk"
    lol switching between routers is starting to be a pain now :o

You're getting sync'd at least, at just under 7 megs. I suspect the authentication is failing. Make sure you include the area code in the phone number as the username. Check that PPPoE is set.

spurious wrote: »
    Congratulations on joining Smart. You won't know yourself when it's up and running.

Are you sure the account has been enabled? Did you get the text?

The guys and gals on the Smart forums are usually very helpful. Put your phone number in your profile.

**edit You should remove your 'username' from your screenshot.
    Thanks :), I've been with smart from day one though :D great service:cool:
    I find it takes forever to get a reply on the smart forums :(
    Thanks aswell for pointing out the user name :)
    You're getting sync'd at least, at just under 7 megs. I suspect the authentication is failing. Make sure you include the area code in the phone number as the username. Check that PPPoE is set.
    Any idea where I find the PPPoE option? When I hit connect a pages shows up saying auto detecting PPPoE/DCHP settings with a little progress bar that just keeps repeating :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any idea where I find the PPPoE option? When I hit connect a pages shows up saying auto detecting PPPoE/DCHP settings with a little progress bar that just keeps repeating :confused:

What is under 'Expert settings'? Anything there you could fiddle with?

EJay is on the Smart forum now - a PM might get you sorted.

spurious wrote:
    What is under 'Expert settings'? Anything there you could fiddle with?

EJay is on the Smart forum now - a PM might get you sorted

I should have listened to ya in the first place and went over to the smart forums :o Found a thread with instructions on how to make it work :D Still don't understand what the problem was :confused:
    I posted the instructions if anyone needs them in the future
    Anyway thanks for the replies guys :)

Telnet to the modem\router ->
    1. telnet 192.168.1.254
    2. Username \ Passwords (if required i myself did not have to)
    3. Type in *Configure* (with out the * of course)
    4. Type in *dmt type*
    5. Type in *set adsl2+*
    6. Tpye in *up*
    7. Type in *up* (you should now be back at top level where you started)
    8. Type in *ppp*
    9. Type in *set*
    10. Keep hitting enter until port-authentication appears, then change to
    11. type in *pap-only*
    12. Press "ENTER"
    13. Put in your Smarttelecom *Username*
    14. Press "ENTER"
    15. Put in your Smarttelecom *Password*
    16. Press "Enter"
    17. Hit enter a few times.
    18. Exit
    19. restart (Telnet session finishes...)
    20. Wait a minute or two until the "Internet" light turns green...
    21. Then Enjoy

Original Post by lennyman

Advertisement