Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planting a small forest

• 29-01-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

I've set aside 1 Hectare of agricultural land with the intention of planting some native woodland next winter.. But I'm unsure if I should involve coillte as I'd like to maintain control of the trees..

Are there any drawbacks to coillte grants? What are the terms and conditions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ok, first of all, Coillte dont pay any grants. Coillte is a semi-state business that manages the state forests but it is involved in providing forestry services to farmers and landowners.

Te forestry establishment grants are provided by the Department of Agriculture, forest service. These grants pay for the establishment of forest plantations on agricultural ground. The minimum area is 0.5 ha for broadleaves and the minimum width is 40m (so windbreaks are not included).

The Native Woodland Scheme is now up and running after a temporary layoff. The scheme provides a grant (up to €6,000 per Ha) to establish a native woodland. This should cover the costs of fencing, ground preparation, trees and planting).

The management and care of the woodland for the first 4 years is also covered by the grant. This covers the costs of vegetation management and shaping etc.

A landowner or farmer does not necessarily have to hire a forestry company to carry out the work but there is an ocean of guidelines and paperwork involved which makes it difficult if you dont have the time to wade through it. The actual work of establishment is the easy part, its the paperwork that is difficult.

Most companies (there are numerous ones around the country) will offer a 4 year management contract (the dep't of agri withholds 25% of the grant aid until the plantation is established correctly) but their main business id to get the establishment grant and claim overheads off it.

So to answer your question, yes you have a number of ways you can do it; you could engage a forestry company like Coillte or Green Belt or a consultant forester to do the paperwork and supervise the work while you draw down the grant. Or you can engage any of them to do all of the work and management for 4 years.

Might i suggest that you contact your Teagasc office. Teagasc have professional foresters who will look at your land and provide advice on all your options, for free.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement