Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conversations with God

• 29-01-2009 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read a book called 'a conversation with God?' Just happened to see it there in Easons and had a flick through it. Looked quite interesting, might go back and buy it. has anyone read it on here and did you think it was worth your time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I have heard good things about it from a girl I know. She doesn't follow any particular faith, though she's very spiritual. There are three books I think. The premise is a bit wacko though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Has anyone read a book called 'a conversation with God?' Just happened to see it there in Easons and had a flick through it. Looked quite interesting, might go back and buy it.
    Haven't read it, but a few weeks back, the author was discovered to have plagiarized at least one of his personal experiences from another writer:

http://features.csmonitor.com/books/2009/01/07/conversations-with-god-author-charged-with-plagiarism/

In his blog (which has since been removed from beliefnet), he explained "I am chagrined and astonished that my mind could play such a trick on me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

robindch wrote: »
    Haven't read it, but a few weeks back, the author was discovered to have plagiarized at least one of his personal experiences from another writer:

http://features.csmonitor.com/books/2009/01/07/conversations-with-god-author-charged-with-plagiarism/

In his blog (which has since been removed from beliefnet), he explained "I am chagrined and astonished that my mind could play such a trick on me".

I have to hand it to you, you have the greatest knack I've ever seen of finding this kind of stuff out, must be a gift from God :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

One doesn't become the Grand Overseer of The Irish Sceptics by resting on one's laurels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

One doesn't become the Grand Overseer of The Irish Sceptics by resting on one's laurels.

Ah so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Has anyone read a book called 'a conversation with God?' Just happened to see it there in Easons and had a flick through it. Looked quite interesting, might go back and buy it. has anyone read it on here and did you think it was worth your time?
    Hello MLM, if you're referring to the books by Neale Donald Walsch, I'd give them a wide berth.

On the other hand, if you mean these books by Francis Fernandez, I highly recommend them for meditation. There's a set of 7 and you can get them in Veritas for €12 each (much cheaper than Amazon)

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Well spotted! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"I am chagrined and astonished that my mind could play such a trick on me".

I'm sure there is a lesson in there some where ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I think kelly's speculation from the other thread was spot on:
    kelly1 wrote: »
    I haven't read this one but I'll bet it doesn't have a whole lot to say about the enormity of sin and the consequences thereof? I'd bet the reality of Hell is nowhere to be found in this book. I'd be fairly sure too that the book says or implies that all religions lead to God. I would imagine too that it doesn't mention the fact the Jesus is the only way to Heaven and to God.

In other words, if the book contains most of the trendy reference points of C21 McDonald's spirituality, then it's pretty suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 My-Life

Well it has its moments. Read it online.

Advertisement