Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No clear channels

Options
  • 29-01-2009 8:58pm

I got UPC broadband back in November. At the time I configured my router for channel 1 as channels 6 and 11 were used. However I noticed last week that my wireless kept dropping off so I ran NetStumbler tonight to find that another router is now on channel 1. As 6 and 11 are also in use I probably can't get a clear channel that's within the acceptable boundaries. There's one other router on channel 1, two on channel 6, one on channel 7 and one on channel 11.

Short of getting an 802.11a access point or using a wired connection is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not much you can do.

This is the problem with the 802.11b/g range.
    More and more joe soaps soaking up the spectrum.

802.11a would be a good idea alright.
    Would be costly enough though depending on how many issues you have.

The only thing you could do is pick a channel like 3/4. i know this will overlap with 1 and 6 but worth a shot, see does it get any stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lashark

Is there anyway to get all the stations on the upc box with out ringing ntl and haveing them knocked on afterall its just a decoder isnt it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

lashark banned for 2 weeks for seeking information on illegal actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KeyserSöze

Karsini wrote: »
    I got UPC broadband back in November. At the time I configured my router for channel 1 as channels 6 and 11 were used. However I noticed last week that my wireless kept dropping off so I ran NetStumbler tonight to find that another router is now on channel 1. As 6 and 11 are also in use I probably can't get a clear channel that's within the acceptable boundaries. There's one other router on channel 1, two on channel 6, one on channel 7 and one on channel 11.

Short of getting an 802.11a access point or using a wired connection is there anything I can do?

Hi Karsini

Do you have a Netgear wireless router? I had a similar issue very recently and it nearly killed me trying to fix it. I have had flawless NTL/UPC broadband for a few years now.

I live in a standard housing estate and I must be able to pick up 15-20 routers in my area on my Macbook & work laptops (a Dell) with built-in wireless. This proliferation of wireless routers is quite new to my area - there used only be about 5.

I ended up changing my router SSID, pass key, channel (to 10), etc. I basically reset it to scratch and reset the whole thing. Nothing. The drop kept happening.

HOWEVER, I don't think this caused my problem - I did some more research (I'm talking hours here) and found out that this was a possible overheating issue with my Netgear wireless router.

I had recently moved a few things around and plugged the router into one of those Standby Saver extension leads/boards - the router had been plugged into the wall - and as soon as I plugged it directly into the wall socket again all of my issues went away!

Turns out this can be an issue with Netgear routers regardless of whether they are two days or two decades old.

-END-

Hi, no it wasn't a Netgear. I was using an AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140 (with the DSL modem disabled).

I sorted it out though, replaced the router with the new 7270 model which supports 802.11a/n on 5 GHz. There's no other 802.11a routers in my vicinity so it's working perfectly. Happy days. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement