Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs enquire about Keane.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Kold wrote: »
    Only person I would've loved to have had back is Carrick.

Absolutley spot on. Him and Defoe - the ones who didn't want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Absolutley spot on. Him and Defoe - the ones who didn't want to leave.

Fcuk me, where did you get that idea from?

Carrick couldn't wait to leave once United made their interest known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Kold wrote: »
    Only person I would've loved to have had back is Carrick.

Yes of course, but totally unrealistic.
    He's set up at Utd for the rest of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Text from Vodafone alert @ 8.24pm......"Spurs have re-signed Robbie Keane"

Would agree on the comments re Carrick.

My understanding was that Carrick was well settled amongst Jol's core group of English-based talent and both manager and player were more than happy for him to stay until Levy negotiated and accepted a bid. I hold my hand up if you know different...but he certainly never gave the impression he was want-away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

my understanding for what its worth is that Levy messed Carrick round with his stalling on an improved contract offer. by the time he got round to making the offer made Carrick was pissed and made up his mind to go.

My understanding was that Carrick was well settled amongst Jol's core group of English-based talent and both manager and player were more than happy for him to stay until Levy negotiated and accepted a bid. I hold my hand up if you know different...but he certainly never gave the impression he was want-away.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=7971&cc=5739
    As Spurs pushed - unsuccessfully - for a Champions League place in 2005/6 Carrick was the star man. And he was rewarded with a place in England's World Cup squad in 2006, where he started the group game with Ecuador before being dropped for the quarter-final - some would say unjustly.

Sir Alex came knocking and Carrick made clear his intentions to join United. He got his wish. After a drawn-out transfer saga

I thought everybody knew Carrick wanted to go to United, it was common knowledge at the time.

Fair enough. I'd still take him back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Mixed feelings about getting Keane back. It was his choice to leave in the first place...

Still, though, he's a good signing on paper. He'll add to the team. Him and Modric would work well together.

Agree with the rest of you on Carrick though, he's quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sky reporting the Keane fee being "an annitional amount of 12mil"
    Alomst 10mil less than what he was sold to them for.

I imagine the 12mil = the amount Spurs received to date for his transfer.
    What ever way you look at it, it's good business for Spurs.

• Advertisement

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=7971&cc=5739

I thought everybody knew Carrick wanted to go to United, it was common knowledge at the time.

on the other hand from the Observer 27th August 2007
    Underpinning their football decisions is Commoli. He was a scout for Arsenal in France, but not as influential in uncovering players for Arsenal as Spurs made out when he joined. He was briefly director of football at St Etienne before joining Spurs when Frank Arnesen left for Chelsea, but he never had the authority or knowledge of the Dane. Jol does not rate Commoli or his signings - among them Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Ricardo Rocha and, most controversially, Zokora.

It was Commoli who told Levy that the club could dispense with Carrick because he believed Zokora was a better player. Carrick was happy at Spurs in April 2006, when he went to talk to Levy about a new contract, with two years left on his existing one and his World Cup inclusion imminent. He had been Tottenham's best player and was central to Jol's plans.

How negotiations unfolded, then collapsed, provides a fascinating insight into the running of the club. Carrick was on £25,000 a week and started talks by asking for £40,000, expecting to negotiate. He was laughed out of the room and told to re-sign on Spurs' terms, or be sold.

Carrick, who wanted to stay, felt unwanted. He then discovered Sir Alex Ferguson was interested in him. At that season's Premier League annual meeting, David Gill of Manchester United put in a £10million bid and Levy dismissed it. The club denied at the time there had been an approach and have always insisted that Carrick was sold because he wanted to leave. He did, in the end - but only because he was so disenchanted at the way he had been treated. Before he went, Levy made a lame and late increased offer of £50,000 a week. It was a prize piece of botched dealing.

full article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/aug/26/newsstory.tottenhamhotspur

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Unfortunately he came on in the 88th minute for liverpool against crewe in the early rounds.Its a shame he cant play at wembley again.

Is he cup tied for Uefa Cup??

yiddo wrote: »
    on the other hand from the Observer 27th August 2007

full article here http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/aug/26/newsstory.tottenhamhotspur

Fair point Pat, but once the damage was done with the contract negotiations Carrick chose to go to United. He wasn't sold against his wishes, indeed your own link says he turned down an improved contract offer to go to United.
    Once I heard United were involved (in trying to sign him) I wanted to come, simple as that. It's a terrific club and I just wanted to come and improve my game, achieve things and win trophies.

"It's an awesome set-up and I'm settling in pretty quickly. Everyone has been great, the backroom staff have been superb. I'm delighted to be here now and I'm just looking forward to playing my first game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-398774/You-compare-Carrick-Keane--Fergie.html
    tomo75 wrote: »
    Is he cup tied for Uefa Cup??

Wasn't registered in time for the Uefa Cup, needed to be done by the the 1st.

Fair point Pat, but once the damage was done with the contract negotiations Carrick chose to go to United. He wasn't sold against his wishes, indeed your own link says he turned down an improved contract offer to go to United.

Levy again mismanaged the situation. by the time he made the improved offer it was too late. that said 18m for Carrick at the time was great business.

all academic now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Lads, Robbie was consistently a better player for us than Defoe so we should be delighted to have him back particularly as his six month adventure made the spurs a few million. It's a great signing, the only thing is that Harry took his eyes of the bigger picture of putting a balanced squad together. Should have off loaded Bent for whatever he could have got for him and should have signed at least one other midfielder and a decent left back. Also should have tried to dump the likes of Bale, Gilberto, Rocha and Dos Santos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Heard someting on the radio this morning that a major factor in Keane coming back was that he has been given the captaincy !! Anyone hear this ? Maybe its the vice-captaincy when King is not around, which is quite often. Although I thought Woodgate had that job ?

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Heard someting on the radio this morning that a major factor in Keane coming back was that he has been given the captaincy !! Anyone hear this ? Maybe its the vice-captaincy when King is not around, which is quite often. Although I thought Woodgate had that job ?

that story is in the indo but i haven't seen it anywhere else.
    Captaincy tempts Keane back to Spurs as Benitez cuts Irish star adrift

By Sam Wallace

Tuesday February 03 2009

IRISH skipper Robbie Keane made up his mind to return to Tottenham Hotspur after being offered the captaincy by Harry Redknapp. The Dubliner yesterday re-signed for Tottenham -- a mere 189 days after leaving White Hart Lane for Anfield.

Keane is tipped to be made the captain with Ledley King continuing in an honorary "club captain" role, and it is Keane who will get the armband in the long term. That was one of the key factors that convinced Keane to cut short his nightmare spell at Anfield after the clubs finally agreed a fee.

Both sides were privately claiming different sets of figures for the Keane deal. Sources at Spurs claim the deal is worth around £15m with add-ons payable providing they stay in the Premier League.

The Spurs manager would also have liked to sign Ricardo Quaresma (24) but the Inter Milan winger opted for Chelsea despite having had a difficult relationship with Luiz Felipe Scolari during the latter's time as Portugal coach.

On Merseyside, there was bemusement from Liverpool's feuding co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks that the club could contrive to make a considerable loss on Keane -- a striker who was signed in a deal worth £20.3m last summer. Gillett and Hicks were back at Anfield yesterday for a board meeting where they reluctantly approved the deal at Benitez's request.

There was incredulity at the club that Benitez would let Keane go without first signing a replacement -- a bid to sign Javier Saviola on loan from Real Madrid having fallen through.

Keane will be back in the Spurs team for the game against Arsenal on Sunday. Redknapp is eager to have a captain who plays more regularly than the injury-plagued King and sees Keane as the ideal figure, especially as the Tallaght native has already had plenty of experience in the role with the Londonders and Ireland.

The Spurs manager is known to be especially pleased with the role of his chairman, Daniel Levy, who has pushed hard to land Keane, as well as bringing back Jermain Defoe and Pascal Chimbonda during the transfer window.

Levy could not, however, push through a deal for Quaresma, who opted to sign for Chelsea having informally agreed to go to Spurs.

Inter had made enquiries about taking David Bentley and Jermaine Jenas on loan but Spurs rejected them. Quaresma (25) is a friend of Cristiano Ronaldo from their days together as trainees at Sporting Lisbon, and is an interesting choice for Scolari who left him out of Portugal's squads for Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup finals.

Quaresma, who has 24 caps for Portugal, is a left-sided player whom Chelsea hope will give their manager more attacking options on the wing. Currently, Scolari is stuck with Salomon Kalou and the desperately ineffectual Florent Malouda, having lost Joe Cole to injury for the remainder of the season. Quaresma's history, however, suggests he is by no means a sure bet to succeed in England. (© Independent News Service)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/captaincy-tempts-keane-back-to-spurs-as-benitez-cuts-irish-star-adrift-1625029.html

He'll prob be skipper when King is not around so. Will be fun and games when him and defoe are both fit, but I suppose such competition for places is good for the club !

Hatch99 wrote: »
    He'll prob be skipper when King is not around so. Will be fun and games when him and defoe are both fit, but I suppose such competition for places is good for the club !

RK confirmed as team captain on official site http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/januarywindowroundup030209.html

yiddo wrote: »

Was just about to post same, Robbie to lead us to PL Safety.

• Advertisement

Not keen on that decision to be honest, would prefer Woodgate got the nod. Could lead to a few ruffled feathers among the squad...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Agree completely Reckless. Dont think anyone should be brought in and made captain straight away. I would nearly guarantee that it will certainly p*is a few players off. Its not good for the dressing room.

If Harry wanted this I think he could have been smarter about it, he should have let Robbie win over the other players first and then looked at it. Its a different dressing room than the one he left.
    I hope I am proved wrong.

On another note think I will have a few quid on him to score on Sunday.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just heard there on SSN that if Liverpool win the league Keane gets a winners medal having played more than 10 matches in PL.:eek:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just heard there on SSN that if Liverpool win the league Keane gets a winners medal having played more than 10 matches in PL.:eek:

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Mullo76 wrote: »
    I would nearly guarantee that it will certainly p*is a few players off. Its not good for the dressing room.

Ok I think for a second we need to take a step and remember that the players ARE NOT fans of the club bar maybe a handful. So they don't give a toss about players coming or going from the Club. Maybe this has been there problem this year.

He isn't gone that long and whenever he played for us I always thought he gave 100% (I'm looking at you Bently).

It would seem to me that if he plays to the same standard he was playing at before he left then this will all be forgotten about before the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

whitey21 wrote: »
    Great to have him back! GReat piece of business!!! Great player....bye bye defoe!

:rolleyes:

rarnes1 wrote: »

Dont worry, that wont be an issue cos they have'nt a hope of winning it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Can't believe harry has made him captain already,Woddy would have been my choice, with keano vice captain..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

had some trouble getting home with bad weather from work so that explains the delay on me posting. how do i change keane=cock to keane the king!!!

think it is a good signing realistically but id prefer he hadnt come back. i think he is a good player but it was hard for us to have our strike force sold in the summer and left bare up top. he knew berb was leaving and was vice captain n talkin of ending his career at WHL n then moved.

good business by spurs? yes.
    once keaneo scores he will be a favourite again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

tippspur wrote: »
    Can't believe harry has made him captain already,Woddy would have been my choice, with keano vice captain..

Would have to agree that Woody should have been first choice for the armband.

On the other hand though, the faith Harry is showing in Robbie may be an inspiration to his game. I remember a few seasons ago when Ledley was out long term injured and BMJ made Robbie acting Captain. He raised his game and looked class.

We have to also bear in mind that Robbie was voted Player of the Year (by the fans) for three seasons on the trot. You dont get that sort of popularity by being a crap player.

Advertisement