Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms and pools in OR near Newbridge

Options
  • 29-01-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm looking for a nice gym with a nice modern clean pool. I'm looking for the best deals out there. I used to go the Westgrove Hotel in Clane, which is great and you can get a monthly membership for around €50. I only went for 3 months and this was fine with them. Is there any place near Newbridge like this? I don't want to go to a very busy place (like J. Skelly).

And anyone know when the new public pool in Naas opens? Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

And anyone know when the new public pool in Naas opens? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Due to open 2nd March 2009. AFAIK they will be doing a special offer when opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Hi, this is what I know or have heard about gyms with pools in/near Newbridge;
    • Keadeen Hotel - they have some good deals on now and can offer 3 and 6 month memberships with no initiation fee, I believe. This is where I have gone, not as much as I should have, for the last three years and I really like it. Small gym but good equipment; lovely pool; great changing area; staff are nice. Childrens swimming lessons are also offered and classes are smaller in size than Jackie Skelly's and are around the same price or even a bit cheaper.
    • My son has taken swimming lesson in Jackie Skelly near Train Station, but I wasn't too impressed with the cleanliness of the changing/shower rooms.
    • Another gym to look at is the one in the Standhouse Hotel near the Curragh Racecourse.
    • Then there's the Gables on the Athgarvan Road although I'm not sure what it's like and I haven't heard any great reports on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Blizzard wrote: »
    • Then there's the Gables on the Athgarvan Road although I'm not sure what it's like and I haven't heard any great reports on it.

Its being re-built now and i think its closed for that reason.
    However, they seem to be moving fast with a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Blizzard wrote: »
    Hi, this is what I know or have heard about gyms with pools in/near Newbridge;
    • Keadeen Hotel - they have some good deals on now and can offer 3 and 6 month memberships with no initiation fee, I believe. This is where I have gone, not as much as I should have, for the last three years and I really like it. Small gym but good equipment; lovely pool; great changing area; staff are nice. Childrens swimming lessons are also offered and classes are smaller in size than Jackie Skelly's and are around the same price or even a bit cheaper.
    • My son has taken swimming lesson in Jackie Skelly near Train Station, but I wasn't too impressed with the cleanliness of the changing/shower rooms.
    • Another gym to look at is the one in the Standhouse Hotel near the Curragh Racecourse.

Keadeen is nice but pool is too warm. They always had a joining fee and a minimum 12 month contract. That may have changed since Jackie Skelly in the town.

Jackie Skelly. I am in this. Pool is cold and I got an eye infection from my last visit. You might as well talk to the wall than tell staff the pool is cold. Changing rooms ok during the week but filthy on the weekend. A lot of activities in the pool during the evenings which take up half the pool making swimming impossible. Full of travelers. When 12 month contract finsihed, I am thinking of jumping to Keadeen.

Standhouse was same price as Keadeen with long contracts but that may have changed. Very nice large pool. Stopped going when we were told it was closing down for renovation. Seems that was not true.

The gables is tiny and expensive. Not clean at all when I was there years ago.

Shop around and do'nt be afraid to ask for discounts. Might not get it but you never know unless you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Be warned with Jackie Skelly's that you have to give them two months' notice to quit; it's in the T&C when you join. This means you have to let them know before the end of the 10th month that you are leaving, if you want to be gone after the 12 month term. People often don't know this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement