Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband 6 weeks down

Options
  • 29-01-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have a problem and looking for advice/help.

I have 3mb broadband with bt, not long upgraded from 2mb. Have it 3 years in this house, new house new estate etc.

Before xmas last my connection went down, just like that, actually not long after getting a virus and I was reinstalling windows for the second time and could.t get online after second reinstall. (might have something to dowith it)

Anyhow bt just passed onto eircom and I've a new modem and being downgraded twice and now on 1 mb and still no service and 6 weeks later.

I did all my own checks pre x mas but no one listens.

My modem (both modems) and my computer work in a bt neighbours house, his modem/laptop does not in mine, therefore hardware/password is ok.

all phones are disconnected and I'm connected direct to eircoms copper wires outside.

My dls connection is ok and eircom say there is no problem. But my internet connection is still down and bt say their not seeing me log in, which I try and cant.

I can pass all my pppoe test most times but always fail on the ip test and i cant ping any address.

Any idea's as no one is helping? Is it an exchange problem? Virus problem in their DSLAM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I had the same prob recently and it turned out all that had to be done was press the reset button on the back of the modem. you just have to hold it in till you hear a click if i remember. Unplugging the modem works wonders as well. I'm assuming your with eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

Has being turned on and off many times. Used different modems. All work in other bt customer houses but none in mine. I'm with bt and they cant do any exchange fault finding and Eircom dont care much.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Ok, lets break this down.

Am I correct in understanding that you are getting a steady green DSL sync light and that your problem is you can't get web pages or ping them? Is your router assigning you a correct DNS server? When you ping it do you get a response?

To be honest, if your line is good, and you have a DSL connection, the most likely problem is a mis configuration on your router. BT should be easily able to detect this. Its not reasonable for them to leave you without a service for so long.

Modem is set up fine. It works elsewhere. The dsl light is on and i sync fine. Eircom have brought me back to 1mb now and still cant log on in my house. Bt just pass it to Eircom and they say the line is fine.

And no i cant ping anywhere only my modem. I'm sure Eircom would have this fixed if i was with them but bt and Eircom aren't working together on this. I'll be back on to them again in the morn and will post everything here. I'll log my complaint too as com reg need a complaint ref number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Can you check your DNS settings in your router configuration? Sounds to me like a DNS issue.

If you have a working line and dsl sync, then eircom have provided their service. Suggest you raise a complaint with Bt because it sounds like they are fobbing you off.

Sorry, not online, using mobile phone. Just checked. No default gateway or dns server got and its assigned automaticaly. So i'm not being assigned one. Bt say i'm not getting through to them as they cant even see me trying to log on and it should show.

I've entered in the dns they use and it shows up but still no default gateway

7 weeks now. Bt keep telling me not to log complaint against them as its Eircom's fault and there trying something else. Will get back onto com reg in the morn. Want this sorted now. Dd dew this week and i only use line rental for the dsl line. If they take money off me i've had enough of bt and will change to Eircom even if they caused this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ronan675

Generally speaking in my experience if you have a DSL sync light then the line is perfectly fine and it's almost always a local misconfiguration of some sort. You mentioned you had no default gateway??

That would definitely stop you from having any connectivity. can you post the output of ipconfig /all ?

• Advertisement

My settings are grand. I keep telling them that. Cant ip config anything only my modem address. My modem worked fine for 3 years and works next door with my laptop but my neighbours modem and laptop does not work in mine. Dns does not matter at my end, its network assigned by bt.

over 2 months down now, 4.7km from exchange and Line Attenuation 55.0 dB

Told this was too high, but eircom wont look at the line and bt cant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

daytrader wrote: »
    over 2 months down now, 4.7km from exchange and Line Attenuation 55.0 dB

Told this was too high, but eircom wont look at the line and bt cant.

55 dB is nasty but still enough for 3 meg.

Personnally I can ride out this, I'm letting this drag to find out who is at fault.

More will be revealed later.

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/dsldown.jpg ....my voyager readings

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/dslworking.jpg my voyager readings in someone ekses house.

Line attenuation high but remember I was flying on 3meg, downloaded windows xp service pack 2 in a jiffy just minutes before connection went, and that was over 2 months ago. All my neigbours are fine, I live in a new estate, I'm wired direct to eircom's copper wires, no phone lines in house, have my phone dissconected since to isolate this problem.

Keep this post near the top, You'll all hear more yet, but I can play the waiting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/dsldown.jpg ....my voyager readings

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/dslworking.jpg my voyager readings in someone ekses house.

Line attenuation high but remember I was flying on 3meg, downloaded windows xp service pack 2 in a jiffy just minutes before connection went, and that was over 2 months ago. All my neigbours are fine, I live in a new estate, I'm wired direct to eircom's copper wires, no phone lines in house, have my phone dissconected since to isolate this problem.

Keep this post near the top, You'll all hear more yet, but I can play the waiting game.

I had this exact problem for the last week and a half with eircom broadband, perfect DSL Sync but nothing but login failures on the router and no internet access, with the eircom modem plugged in I had solid green light on the DSL and a red light on internet. Like you it had been working fine and just dropped all of a sudden and never came back up.

After going through the motions with tech support over the phone they eventually passed it to the engineers in the exchange who started looking at it yesterday and fair play to the guy he kept me informed yesterday and today.

He finally got it sorted today and it was a configuration issue on eircom.nets' end of things, something called a calling station indicator was switched off on my line and the eircom engineer said I should call eircom.net back and ask them to switch it on and a quick phone call sorted that out.

About 10 mins later internet light turns green on the modem and it's flying it might be something you can suggest as the problem seems identical to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Hi

Line Attenuation too high.
    You say you have connected directly to the cables outside. Have you disconnected from the cables inside as there appears to be some feedback on your line, hence the attenuation.
    All other stats look fine but you really need to get that attenuation below 45dB. too much resistance on the line.

It looks like one of six things;

1. Telephone extension cable between modem and phone socket.
    Telephone cables supplied with modems are longest that a DSL service can be guarenteed with.
    2. Telephone adapters in phone sockets.
    These are not DSL filters but allow multiple products to use the same socket.
    3. SKY TV is not filtered or even "Hardwired" into phone socket.
    SKY installation "engineers" have of late, been unscrewing phone sockets and connecting in a cable to run to the back of your SKY top box. This should not be done and should be filtered.
    4. You have a monitored house alarm that is not filtered.
    Basically, anything that uses the telephone line needs to be filtered, this includes panic and house alarms.
    5. You have an internal wiring issue.
    This will need to be checked by a qualified person, electrician or telecoms engineer. Unfortunately, Eircom are not obliged to check your internal wiring and may refer you to an electrician.
    6. You are not on or are too far from the MDP (Main Distribution Point).

All my internal wiring is disconnected, I don't even have a phone connected.

2 metres of extensiont to main phone socket and it's on the front wall with eircoms connection the other side of the wall ( about 30cm cable).

I was happily on 3 meg with an extension cable of 6 metres working fine for 3 years (was 2meg at the start) good speed etc, only down once about 2 years ago when half the town was off.

I'm in a new estate in town and no one else is affected.

<He finally got it sorted today and it was a configuration issue on eircom.nets' end of things, something called a calling station indicator was switched off on my line and the eircom engineer said I should call eircom.net back and ask them to switch it on and a quick phone call sorted that out.>

Is this something bt can turn on or is it for eircom to check out in the exchange?

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=DSLAM%20Speeds

55db should be ok, and i don't know what I was before I went off but I was on 3 meg and now cant connect on 1 meg.

also I can get the atm tests so maybe I'm ok at exchange level and all this is bt's fault? it's my ppp test which fail, sometimes I pass every test bar the "Test the assigned IP address" test.

I'll be very disappointed if this is bt's fault. Eircom have checked the exchange 5 times and say there's no fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

daytrader,
    bt tech support are next to useless . more likely it is smth to do with DSLAM port setting .
    if yours dsl connection is fine ( what modem stats BTW-- like what is u speed synchronization to exchange ? 1024 down 128 up? ) and yours password working well at bt network from yours friend house ?
    - i think only eicom can help u out ( cause bt does not have an acces to dslam )
    well bt must contact eircom to fix this issue (well, we all know it is never gonna happen though )-and eircom will hardly be deal with u, as u are bt customer
    call to bt and say, that u are switching to eircom in 10 days ( say that u already have placed the order with eircom - i mean normaly eircom giving you 10 days to change the mind-- after 10 days there is no way back)
    so, tell bt
    if they won't fix issue -- u'll become an EIRCOM customer in 10 days
    i hope this will work for u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=DSLAM%20Speeds

55db should be ok, and i don't know what I was before I went off but I was on 3 meg and now cant connect on 1 meg.

also I can get the atm tests so maybe I'm ok at exchange level and all this is bt's fault? it's my ppp test which fail, sometimes I pass every test bar the "Test the assigned IP address" test.

I'll be very disappointed if this is bt's fault. Eircom have checked the exchange 5 times and say there's no fault.

This is actually quite simple. Run a troubleshooting test on your voyager and check if you are passing ATM test. If you are not then the problem could be:

Wrong VPI/VCI Settings (should be 8/35)
    Wrong username/password (remember to add @btbb at the end of the username)
    Wrong protocol type, should be PPPoE (although Eircom's ASAM should accept both pppoe and pppoa)
    Wrong encapsulation type, should be LLC

As you have already tested your modem on a friends house and viceversa, it is logical to assume that the root of your problem is none of the above there fore it can only be 2 things:

Problem with the PVC settings at the DSLAM
    Problem with your internal wiring/socket

You said Eircom have tested this 5 times, nevertheless this doesnt necessarily mean there isnt a problem there as due to the amount of faults they receive per day is unlikely they check a fault twice unless is escalated, therefore booking faults without getting previosly escalated wont make a difference.

There is also the possibility that Eircom could be right and there is no problem at the exchange, that leaves the problem at your side.

Talk to BT on Monday and ask to talk to a manager, then ask them to escalate this to Eircom and wait for them to get back to you.

If you ARE passing the ATM loopback test then the problem is most likely on your side, including internal wiring.

Is the Internet light on the Voyager on? I suppose it isnt.

There is a very small possibility that the problem could be at the exchange or on BTs radius servers but this is very very unlikely and tech support should be able to spot this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Is this something bt can turn on or is it for eircom to check out in the exchange?

Well it wasn't something the eircom engineer in the exchange was able to rectify, I had to call eircom.net, the ISP to get it fixed once the exchange engineer found out what the problem was.
    Try and call them and ask them to check if it's on or off on your line if BT don't know try eircom.net if they are the wholesaler.
    Somebody must have access to these settings for your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

daytrader, what modem u've got?
    if it is Voyager i can't help u out cause not familiar with this one
    but if u within bt almost 3 years, more then likely u have old ZYXEL Prestige 660RU-T1 aswell
    so go to Maintenance /System Status /show statistics/WAN Port Statistics
    it will show either u connected to exchange or not

so if u are connecting to exchange, then DSLAM just not passing u to bt server for some reason

Redshift wrote: »
    Well it wasn't something the eircom engineer in the exchange was able to rectify, I had to call eircom.net, the ISP to get it fixed once the exchange engineer found out what the problem was.
    Try and call them and ask them to check if it's on or off on your line if BT don't know try eircom.net if they are the wholesaler.
    Somebody must have access to these settings for your line.

BT and other ISPs customer's cannot and must not contact Eircom wholesale directly.

Eircom.net are Eircom retail which is a different company. If you ring Eircom wholesale (the number is no secret) they will ignore you and probably hung up on you.

BT has to do this, he will have to insist!

my stats http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/dsldown.jpg

<so, tell bt
    i hope this will work for u > if it's a problem with the exchange why should I join eircom, thats like screwing my line up so I'll join them. If BT's at fault I'll join eircom maybe, but I want answers first. Too may people jump ship too quick and never wait to find the truth. Eircom can phone me and ask me back but not mess with my service so I'll come back.

<As you have already tested your modem on a friends house and viceversa, it is logical to assume that the root of your problem is none of the above there fore it can only be 2 things:

Problem with your internal wiring/socket> pvc settings maybe, internal wiring, cant see how as their is only 30 cm of cable from my socket to eircoms connection in the box outside the house and all other wiring is disconnected by myself. Could be something wrong in the manhole or eircoms box at the end of the road, some mess up when someone else was getting a phone connected?

<Talk to BT on Monday and ask to talk to a manager, then ask them to escalate this to Eircom and wait for them to get back to you>

this has being escalated to eircom twice and their 10 day wait is up tuesday when com reg step in.

<daytrader, what modem u've got?
    if it is Voyager i can't help u out cause not familiar with this one
    but if u within bt almost 3 years, more then likely u have old ZYXEL Prestige 660RU-T1 aswell>

correct I have both, i'll check the oter settings in a while

my stats http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/dsldown.jpg

<so, tell bt
    i hope this will work for u > if it's a problem with the exchange why should I join eircom, thats like screwing my line up so I'll join them. If BT's at fault I'll join eircom maybe, but I want answers first. Too may people jump ship too quick and never wait to find the truth. Eircom can phone me and ask me back but not mess with my service so I'll come back.

<As you have already tested your modem on a friends house and viceversa, it is logical to assume that the root of your problem is none of the above there fore it can only be 2 things:

Problem with your internal wiring/socket> pvc settings maybe, internal wiring, cant see how as their is only 30 cm of cable from my socket to eircoms connection in the box outside the house and all other wiring is disconnected by myself. Could be something wrong in the manhole or eircoms box at the end of the road, some mess up when someone else was getting a phone connected?

Could be the phone socket itself or even the NTP, or even those cables that you disconnected (if they are still connected to the socket)

Internal wiring is very tricky and eircom do not have to fix it as is not contemplated on their SLA with BT.

Remember that BB is only covered up until the exchange. On all those faults you have booked the Eircom engineer all he did is tested the port performance at the exchange, and to his understanding it was ok. If the problem is at your house or in between your house and the exchange Eircom/BT are not obliged to fix it, is up to Eircom's discretion...

sad but true... at least is like this at the moment. Some times, if the problem is in the line itself (not your internal wiring and not at the exchange), let's say, 1 out of 100 times, eircom might end up fixing it but it will all depend on how much it cost and honestly, how the engineer feels as they are under no obligation to do so.

You also mentioned an outage on your area? If that's the case then it would be interesting to know what happened exactly... Anyway it is important not to label things and remain open to all possibilities

Well your PPP connection seems up

Do the following

Ping 192.111.39.1

then ping google.com

then ping 74.125.45.100

If you get a reply from any of them then run a tracert to the ip and DNS name please

Also, what are your networks settings?

run ipconfig /all on the command prompt, you can post it as a text file

• Advertisement

<Could be the phone socket itself or even the NTP, or even those cables that you disconnected (if they are still connected to the socket)>

their are no cables connected to my socket only the 2 copper wires from the box outside. Their is another cable that was hardwired in this that runs to the hall and bedroom and its removed. I've replaced eircoms socket last week to a standard one to remove any circutry problems in the box.

,sad but true... at least is like this at the moment. Some times, if the problem is in the line itself (not your internal wiring), let's say, 1 out of 100 times, eircom might end up fixing it but it will all depend on how much it cost and honestly, how the engineer feels as they are under no obligation to do so>

I more interested in finding the reason now and am still paying my direct debit. At least this might highlight someting or help other people in the future. I will see this out too the bitter end.

Advertisement