Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband 6 weeks down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

daytrader wrote: »
    <Could be the phone socket itself or even the NTP, or even those cables that you disconnected (if they are still connected to the socket)>

their are no cables connected to my socket only the 2 copper wires from the box outside. Their is another cable that was hardwired in this that runs to the hall and bedroom and its removed. I've replaced eircoms socket last week to a standard one to remove any circutry problems in the box.

,sad but true... at least is like this at the moment. Some times, if the problem is in the line itself (not your internal wiring), let's say, 1 out of 100 times, eircom might end up fixing it but it will all depend on how much it cost and honestly, how the engineer feels as they are under no obligation to do so>

I more interested in finding the reason now and am still paying my direct debit. At least this might highlight someting or help other people in the future. I will see this out too the bitter end.

I wouldnt worry about your internal setup anymore as your ppp connection is us.

In regards paying for a service you havent used I wouldnt worry (too much) either, they will give you your money back (if the problem turns out to be on their side or if it remains unsolved)

Just check your IP settings first, do a few pings (ip and dns) and also, when you said you tested your computer on your neighbours house, does he have BB with BT? did you connect the same way you use to connect from home? (Wireless/ethernet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

ping results

timed out 4 times.

settings are http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/Image4.jpg

ping results

timed out 4 times.

settings are http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/Image4.jpg

Thanks

Last thing, connect the voyager back please and run that ipconfig one more time.

Another thing, when you connect the voyager go to the voyager page (192.168.1.1) and run the troubleshooting test (top left corner) and tell me if it fails any tests.

Also check the Internet light, should be on

from this morning, sometimes the ppe pass but not the ip address.

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/troubleshoot1.jpg

will reconect now and ping

internet light off, ping timed out 4 times again.

• Advertisement

internet light off, ping timed out 4 times again.

PPP connection is down with the voyager

Are your username and password in the username and password field?

have you tried clicking on connect?

Sorry if it sounds dumb, just checking

trouble shooting with my neighbours username/password. and remember my details never changed and they work on my modem in someone elses house.

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/troubleshoot2.jpg

trouble shooting with my neighbours username/password. and remember my details never changed and they work on my modem in someone elses house.

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/troubleshoot2.jpg

Well the internet light should be on now

So you are using your neighbours username/password? I assume he is BT then?

have to go out for a while

Well the internet light should be on now

So you are using your neighbours username/password? I assume he is BT then

No i just tried it to see if it works etc, I.m online using my mobile phone as a modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

daytrader, i was away for the while :)
    well m8--- it is nothing to do with your modem,wiring etc
    -- you are connected to exchange-- no doubt there-- but u can't get to BT network -- that is the issue
    -normaly wrong pass/username whould be the cause of it . but as far as u've tried friends modem with their pass ( password whould work at any bt broadband enabled line) and your modem with your password working well at friend house
    NO ISSUE here
    -99.9 % dslam issue IMHO
    the only reason i told u to "switch "over to eircom again-- just to make BT moving their arses faster and starting to work with this issue--- they have extremly bad tech support and even worse customer services .

just back and tried troubleshooting again with my user name password

http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/troubleshoot3.jpg

very interested if any eircom tech guys read this?

I'm only after answers here as this has being some puzzle.

Well, today we will get to see if com reg have any control!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Well, today we will get to see if com reg have any control!

Have you raised an official complaint with BT as I advised in post #7? Otherwise Comreg cannot take action.

Is this a dlsam problem in the exchange or are bt screwing me up.

recap time. I did recieve a bad virus before x mas. Bit the bullet and reformated and old hard drive after getting important stuff saved on dvd's.
    Reloaded windows and downloaded service pack 2(xp). few drivers shots so onto dell website with tag number and got them. now ran virus software on old hard drive on origional drive but couldn't find any.

So then I wipe old drive and load ubuntu, wipe old drive and reinstall xp. all this within an hour. Download service pack 2 again and reboot and go to log on to dell website and internet is gone. JUST LIKE THAT. almost 10 weeks later and no better.

line attenuation 55db but sure maybe it always was. My line didn't deteriate from 3 meg to dead instantly.

Since then I've being run round the mill, check passwords, wiring, new modem, sure I eliminated all this the next day (check thread).

I really do think something fishy is going on with either bt or eircom.

I really do think something fishy is going on with either bt or eircom.

Daytrader, 4 pages on and your still no closer to getting sorted. BT is your provider, you pay them money, you are paying them money for a service they are not providing you.

People have tried to assist you, clearly your issues are out of our remit. A BT support person needs to walk you through your settings step by step.

I will say it again. Make an official complaint, in writing, to BT. Then if you get nowhere lodge one with Comreg.

Java, my settings are fine and always have being fine. There is nothing wrong my end and i've known this for two months. It's an Eircom/bt problem and i'm stuck in the middle. Read the thread. I have complained to bt and com reg. Bt's ten day wait is over and now they have another ten days to fix it for com reg. I think the only way i'll fix this is too switch to Eircom and they'll fix the problem they may have caused.

Read the thread. I have complained to bt and com reg. Bt's ten day wait is over and now they have another ten days to fix it for com reg. I think the only way i'll fix this is too switch to Eircom and they'll fix the problem they may have caused.

I have read the thread - several times. And its confusing to say the least. Anyway, you've now gone the proper complaint route, so I'll leave it at that.

And its confusing to say the least

Who are you telling, two months mulling on it.

And I don't think com reg will fix it.

Eircom have a second line wired into my etu box. I may ring and order broadband on that, interesting if I have 2 lines on the one cable, one with high attenuation and not working and the other low attenuation and working.

Then both lines could be high attenuation and only one working.

just checking out the quote feature.

• Advertisement

QUOTE] I'll try again.

Still seems to be no one doing anything. 6 working days left for bt to sort out for com reg. Had a bt guy on and he said they may send an enginner! An Eircom one is needed, doubt they'll come out.

for anyone following my thread here is an update.

someone worked on the line today, was down to 1meg from 3meg and line attenuation at 55db.

today its 160kps and 15db. Whats going on, still pass all dls connection test and failing internet service connection test.

screenshot here.
    http://www.geocities.com/robinstown/march13.jpg

have posted other screenshots earlier.

these readings are better than what i printed from someone ekses house which worked.

Eircom have fixed the line attenuation? altough it I did notice it shoot to 55db a few mins ago then the line reset and it turned on at 15db again.

eircom have be down at very slow speed so my dsl line must be perfect.

Its where my eircom line connects to bt is the problem in the exchange or else bt have some block on the line abd dont see it.

line keeps resetting, going to try old modem now.

its worse

relative capacity occupation: 6%
    noise margin downstream: 39.0 db
    output power upstream: -1.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 56.5 db
    back to voyager modem

voyager back on and readings back to crap
    Broadband Line Status

Refresh

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:00:00:35
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 160 Kbps 128 Kbps
    Noise Margin 22.5 dB 24.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 55.0 dB 29.5 dB
    Output Power 2.9 dBm -1.2 dBm

what happened to lower my line attenuation this evening?
    55db to 15db? now back to 55

ok, in relation to all my posts above made today, I've now 17 line up counts since my last post a few mins ago, line attenuation 55db some times, 15db other times.

btw I've screenshot's of everyting since I lost my service 3 months ago and comregs 10 dayd to have bt fix this are over wednesday and then it will be down the legal road, hoping to get someone independant to check the line/exchange if I can legally force it so I can prove who's messing up.

latest updates.

Broadband line is now down 3 months.

I checked my neighbours line last week, eircom, share the same eircom manhole. All his readings were the same as mine and I used my modem and bt username and password and got logged in. Bt rang Monday and confirmed this.

Last wednesday bt sent an enginner who spent 2 and a half hours at the house and could find nothing wrong with my dsl line, everything points to eircom and the exchange, everything I said 3 months ago.

Last wednesdaywas bt's last day to get it fixed for com reg, never heard from com reg since but gave bt the benifit of another week as I dont think this is their doing.

• Advertisement

3 months is now a joke. Com reg say broadband is not regulated so not much good they are. My patience is wearing thin now maybe a newspaper letter? Does anyone here have knowledge of the exchanges, why would i have a perfect dsl line and not be connecting when all my readings, settings are a1. Can Eircom have a physical block on my line/port in the exchange, a software block?

Advertisement