Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband 6 weeks down

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

Update. Yesterday i emailed the minister for communictions, expect nothing really but our regulator wont do anything what can he do? I'll post a copy here later. Secondly, timewise things have changed, i've recieved my online bill for the next two months due in 8 days. I wont be paying this, going to instruct the bank not too. I cant afford paying for line rental and broadband i dont have. Dont know how bt will test my dsl if the cut me off. I'll leave this with our minister or his secretary whoever reads it too call me. Otherwise i 'll take legal advice and go public about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Go to all your local papers , every single one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Don't give up, m8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Registered letters are the way to get a response.

I just e-mailed bt complaints department and gave my account number and cc'd a copy to the Minister eamon ryan's department and also to com reg so they all know their on the one mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

daytrader wrote: »
    I just e-mailed bt complaints department and gave my account number and cc'd a copy to the Minister eamon ryan's department and also to com reg so they all know their on the one mail.

Jay-sus, this is still on going!

I admire your determination. From here there is only one thing left for BT to do, request Eircom to assign you a new port at the DSLAM. If that doesnt work, well, that will be it unfortunately.

Maybe, and that doesnt always happen, BT can request Eircom wholesale to send this case to their NMC and have it properly check, if their NMC find nothing wrong then the problem is either the phone line or your internal wiring, and BT wont fix either of them as is not contemplated by Eircom's SLA.

There have been exceptions though

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Mother of lord this is like dejavu for me reading this. I was in the same position as you literally around 2 years ago to date. I had a three meg line with eircom and suddenly in october we decided to chage over to BT and everything was fine for about a month or two and then BAM internet continuously dropping.

After a 6 month stint with no internet and alot of calls to comreg and a phone call with the minister for communications at the time, we brought BT to court under contract law(for the reason you stated earlier: there is no regulation in this country around broadband) and guess what we won. They gave us back 6 months of bills plus damages and paid for our solicitors.

After that there was a "huge investigation" into the reason why the broadband wouldn't work and it turned out in the end that our line couldn't take more than 1 meg and by trying to push more bandwidth down the line they were causing it to disconnect. we've been happy ever since but i recently learned that my next door neighbours are getting 2 megs and we can't get anymore. But i suppose that the whole contention buzz.

None of it ever made sense to me why they couldn't figure it out in the first place but i have my doubts if they ever told us the truth. Keep digging and get this resolved:D

Very interesting, my line has being downgraded from 3 meg to 1 meg by Eircom and later to 384kb by bt. I'd say speed wasn't your problem either, how close was your neighbour? I guess Eircom will never admit they made an error and the longer it goes the bigger the lie. I just want to get a proper answer so people in the future will know, but it's hard waiting this long. Lucky i have free mobile broadband but thats not the point. I know i have a proper dsl line same readings as all my neighbours in same estate, line has being checked. Only difference is i'm not with Eircom.

One more thing, either this weekend or Monday evening, I'll be running a line from my neighbours extension to my house.

Added a new main socket and will plug his line in to feed my house. Although an Engineer has checked my line I'll do the ultimate check and see if the line feeding my ajoining house works in mine. Then for certain the problem is between the eircom manhole and exchange, but as we share the same manhole (outside both our houses) it will be an exchange problem.

Just putting thread back to top.

• Advertisement

4 months down now, no movement on my request to change dslam ports. Not sure i can go any further with this with bt. I know my line is perfect, my dsl line is perfect, time to try what everyone else would off done after one week. Change provider. I will return and post the outcome.

Finally, i'd like to add this is not an isolated case. Not everyone post's on these boards, holds out this long. I've met someone else in the same boat, got screenshots etc. The saddest part is com reg wont do a thing, eamon ryan, a true ff td in disguise. Even the broadband senator, shane ross, not even a reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you move to eircom it will mysteriously work

then you can contact Comreg and Eamon Ryan who will resolutely continue to do absolutely nothing . You should not give them that option ...arrogant useless factotums that they are.

Latest today. Got a call from bt. Eircom have refused my request for a new dslam port saying nothing is wrong with the line. But bt says there is someone else with the same problem longer than me. Eircom will go with bt together to their house and the exchange. If they fix it mine should be the same. Although i know there's more people who's problem hasn't got to manager level yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

bloody hell, can't believe this has gone on for so long! This happened for two weeks with me, and I was ready to hit the roof with the Eircom/BT communication debaucle!

Thanks for the updates.

How did you get it fixed after two weeks? What was your problem?

Just bumping thread back to the top

What can i say, over 4 months without broadband, had a duel visit from both telecom companies together yesterday. My dsl line is fine and i'm still going nowhere. Regulation is non existant in this country. Personally i dont want to post to much more here except to keep the thread alive and post the outcome at the end if it will help anyone else.

Problem fixed.

4 months and one week later. I'll post how later, maybe put it up in a new thread. All I'll say for now was the problem was in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well done.

I applaud your perseverance, because that's what got you there in the end!

• Advertisement

Yes and i hope something comes off this. I didn't do this, ask or recieve any financial gain. Just got put right what was wrong. It would off being too easy to off just switched at the start. I'm all for open markets and transparency which we dont seem to have. Also let down big time by people who champion themselves in this cause. I had to fight alone. I will post a full report in the future, maybe even a paper article. As for now i've a weeks holiday and will enjoy. Full update will follow soon.

Short update. Internet was down for over 4 months, Eircom were forced to change the dslam ports in the exchange in the end, which they refused to do until the bitter end.

When changed the problem was fixed straight away.

But I know of other people who are going through the same and wonder were any lesson's learnt.

Advertisement