Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pillars Of The Earth

Options
  • 29-01-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this? I've just finished it myself after getting a couple of rave recommendations. Though it was OK, a bit repetitive in parts and could have been a couple of hundred pages shorter. I'm on the sequel (World Without End) at the moment, seems fairly similar so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That's Ken Follett, isn't it? I haven't read it yet, but it's on my desk somewhere in the middle of the pile.

Was there anything you particularly liked about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

loved both of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I read Pillars of the Earth years ago and when World Without End came out I rushed to get it. I hated it. Cardboard characters and not much of a plot. It just wasn't believable. The characters were like 21st century people set down in the 1340s. I didn't get a sense of the horror of the plague nor the grinding poverty. I just couldn't take to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Pillars was very good I thought, lots of drama, the second one I read but didnt love at all, resented the fact it was so big and I had to lug it around everywhere! Stand by the first on being good, not much to it but a good long entertaining read...keep you wondering who'd end up doing what and who'd get their come uppance.

Advertisement