Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine an effort?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

So im in 6th year and have a fairly good chance of getting medicine, mabey. But starting to question whether i want it or not. Just because of the long hours and stuff. If anyone could tell me what it's actualy like doing medicine, as in hours needed for study- weekdays , weekends etc. I know it might seem like shouldent go for it atol if im thinking this way but i want to have the social side of colllege as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

In which college would you like to do medicine? If they have a forum, I shall move this thread here, as you might find someone in the course!

Otherwise... I imagine Medicine is like most science subjects fairly heavy on contact hours etc., labs and things. Just because it's 600 points etc. on the CAO though, doesn't reflect its difficulty in college, or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

In which college would you like to do medicine? If they have a forum, I shall move this thread here, as you might find someone in the course!

Otherwise... I imagine Medicine is like most science subjects fairly heavy on contact hours etc., labs and things. Just because it's 600 points etc. on the CAO though, doesn't reflect its difficulty in college, or anything like that.

Maybe move it to the Biology and Medicine forum, there are med students and doctors lurking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

woops should of said that, UCD, tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Moved now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

theowen wrote: »
    So im in 6th year and have a fairly good chance of getting medicine, mabey. But starting to question whether i want it or not. Just because of the long hours and stuff. If anyone could tell me what it's actualy like doing medicine, as in hours needed for study- weekdays , weekends etc. I know it might seem like shouldent go for it atol if im thinking this way but i want to have the social side of colllege as well

Honestly medics have one of the best social lives in UCD. Medcial students are involved in all aspects of Uni life from sports to societys.

I did med in UCD and had a great social life in college, probably a bit too great as I ended up repeating a year :) Its all about balance.
    Yeah you have to study,but so does everyone in college. Saying that I did have to study for a few hours at the weekend,but thats because Im quite thick and need to study hard to pass exams :)

My advice would be choose medicine because your intrested in the course.The workload is irrelevant If you genuinly like what your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

If you want to become a doctor, go for it. If you don't, well....don't. In my opinion there are too many people in this country on "elite" courses who are there only because they can get the points. I know a few myself, as does practically anyone in any university.

Either way you will have a normal college social life. If you're normal. I know some second year Med students who seem to have more free time than me, and I'm studying Commerce for feck sake! They do work hard but at the end of the day it's all about passing your exams, no need for a GPA of 4.0+. And anyway, the workload isn't going to be anymore intensive than say Law (where you have to read 100's of 100 page cases) or Engineering (long days and project work).

So yeah, go for it! But only if you want to, not just because you will be able to. It will definitely be worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

My advice would be to go for it. The handy thing is that for the first few years (mostly first and second), the workload isn't enormous. The stuff you do is very interesting and really eases you into it, so that when things do get to be a bit more hectic (4th and final years) it's nothing you can't handle.

Just be sensible about it and you should have no trouble. I was amazed at how straightforward the whole thing was.

Advertisement