Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comparing the Gaelscoileanna in Bray

• 29-01-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm new to boards.ie but hoping some of you kind people might be able to help me out with some advice smile.gif

I've just entered the scary world of "what school will my child attend"..!! And a scary and complicated world it is too.. My first daughter has just turned 3 and will be starting primary in 2010.

We are strongly considering Gaelscoil in Bray & have her name down for Scoil Chualann since she was 6 months (as friends children attended there) but on following it up recently, I wasn't left with much hope that she will get in.. To be honest I just found the school secretary to be really unhelpful, vague and probably a bit annoyed and snooty because I'm NOT a fluent Irish speaker.. maybe I just caught her on a bad day but..

In any case, I rang the other gaelscoil in Bray Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh, today and couldn't have had a more different experience. Lovely lady on the phone, very helpful and seems quite positive about my daughter getting a spot.. If I had to choose on Customer Service alone there would be not problem and I'd jump at Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh but I'm wondering if any one can provide any more comparisons on the two schools - teaching levels & quality, class size, facilities, school/parent interaction, pupil behaviour etc.

I'm from West Wicklow originally and not that long in the area so have no idea so all advice, comments etc really appreciated.

Cheers , JM

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

the secretary is not the teaching staff :D but prehaps she doesn't want to give you false hope of a place? 3 would be far too late to get a place in any of the Gaelscoileanna I know, have you got copies of the enrolement policy for both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I wanted my children to attend this school but not realising their names have to be down nearly as soon as they are born I settled on whatever school I could get them into in Bray.

A previous colleague has her daughter there. She is 7 as is my son. Her class at one point had 38 pupils ; my sons has 16.

Apart from this one point which is of no fault of the school I have only every heard excellent reports about this school & it is a known school wherby local teachers have their own children attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bre-head

Thanks a lot for the replies.

byhookorbycrook - I was surprised too that my daugther may get a place only a year out but it did seem positive in Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh.. I think they are hoping to increase numbers so that can get increased teacher numbers from the dept.

Jenzz - just wondering if you are referring to Scoil Chualann or Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh in your comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

You can't base your child's school on a conversation with the secretary :rolleyes:

I went to Scoil Chualann and did some teaching practice out there. Most of the same staff are there and they are lovely. It's ethos is very much immersion in Irish culture e.g. Irish dancing, trad ceol, hurling and GAA, like a traditional old country school. The class sizes are quite large like 30+ in a room but junior infants is divided in half so they get more individual help. Apparently now though the school is getting a lot of enrolments from Yummy Mummies in SUVs that want little Fiachra and Siamsa to be in a school with no foreign children... :mad: So it's not the same as it used to be.

Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh is a break away school of Scoil Chualann. A teacher moved there and became principal, so it prob have a similar ethos. A lot of the children there are from the Bray council estates like Palermo and Fassaroe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 legaleagle05

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh is a break away school of Scoil Chualann. A teacher moved there and became principal, so it prob have a similar ethos. A lot of the children there are from the Bray council estates like Palermo and Fassaroe.

I find it hilariously hypocritical that you say the above whilst earlier pretending to be outraged that the "yummy mummys" do not want their children to be in a class with non-nationals. This attitude is the 'typical' attitude rampant amongst the parents involved in Scoil Chualann. You also need to research your facts before making mindless statements; Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh is not a 'break away school' from Scoil Chualann, it was set up by Una Ui Cheadaigh who was not a teacher in Scoil Chualann. While both schools obviously embrace an Irish ethos they are two seperate and distinct schools. I would also have to disagree with your observation that you cannot base your thoughts of a school on a conversation with the secretary, obviously many factors must be taken into account however it is a great sign of a place if the secretary is in a great mood, it shows that they enjoy their working environment.

Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh embraces all pupils, there is no 'segregation' between the children of solicitors and doctors and the children from "Palermo and Fassaroe" or non-nationals. Our Constitution guarantees equality and free primary education, it seems that "Lil Kitten" does not agree with the provisions of the fundamental law of the State!

Both schools are of the highest calibre, I have personal experience with each. The teachers in both are second to none and the Irish ethos is as strong in both. Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh however treats the pupils with much more respect and understanding and the pupils grow much better as rounded human beings as a result. There is widespread mutual respect between the teachers and pupils and a genuine desire on the part of the school to do what is best in order to nurture the talents and intellect of the pupil. The child is enabled to develop within an Irish ethos and encouraged to realise their true potential. All the teachers recognise the value of each individual child and the network of support and learning aids is second to none. The principal in Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh is a fundamental asset to the success of the school and it is her drive and passion for the progress of the school that has seen it flourish to such an extent over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lorlei

Just wondering if anyone else has any opinions on Gaelscoils in Bray/ Greystones??

My son is 2 & half. I put his name down with Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh in Bray and Gaelscoil na gCloch Liath in Greystones before he was 1. I'm not originally from this part of country so know nothing about schools in the area and hadn't realised there were 2 gaelscoils in Bray.

Anyway, I was onto Gaelscoil na gCloch Liath today- there is next to no hope of him getting a place :( This school is closer to us so was my preference.

I then contacted Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh- I will have no problem getting a place for my son with them, both Naionra and Gaelscoil. Anyone got any other feedback on Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Banbha

I was rared in Fossaroe and as I understand from experiancing both Palaremo and Fossaroe growing up it is not an attractive place, we have since moved. Not all the people up there though are amounst the trouble makers, and I'm glad Scoil Chualann didn't judge me on entering by where I lived, fossaroe wasn't always as bad as it is now.
    I attended Scoil Chualann and I had a great experiance with the usual mix of strick teachers to the more laid back.
    I doubt that it's the same since I went there im now half way through college so its a while since my time there. I can't imagine it going downhill.
    I wouldn't be put off by secretary staff though (though I'm sure you've made a descision already) it is, for me always remembered for the good times and friends I made there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gone

Hi all,

My child has just been offered a place in Gaelscoil Ui Cheadaigh for 2012 and I'm just wondering if anyone has anything more to offer on the thread? We found principal and teachers all great and the new extension very pleasant but would appreciate anymore more info ... Thanks a mill

Advertisement