Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Cheap Mini Ramps?

Options
  • 29-01-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I'm just wondering if there are any cheap mini ramps or mini micro ramps in Dublin. My dad said if i found a decent one at a right price he would buy me one. Well, does Anyone have any offers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sk4terkid

I have 1000 Euro spending money on a ramp.. So any offers???
    If you build ramps how much does it cost for me to pay you for the construction and supplies???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Build it yourself with help from www.rampplans.org and your dad. Use shuttering ply for the transition templates (it's cheaper). Look around for good deals on wood in buy and sell dublin waste.ie freecycle and sites like that. Off the shelf all you'll get for that kind of money is a 4ft wide twiglet, besides building the ramp can be a great education and a wonderfull bonding experience between father and son as they learn together how to remove rusty nails from their feet and re-attach sawn off fingers. : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sk4terkid

what do i put on top of it to protect it from weather . Also whats size nails do i use?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Same stuff you put on fences to protect them from the weather i guess.
    Ket a big ass sheet of plastic to put over it when your not using it too. And remember, you have to be able to tie down the sheet of plastic, or it will be a kite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Use 2-3" philips/posidrive head wood screws or plasterboard screws (spax screws) to hold the ply down (shorter on bottom layer longer on top layer and 4-6" nails for the framing. Use a V nailing technique on the frame , this means nailing two nails in next to each other at an angle of about 60 degrees so they go in like this \ / and are in the wood like this V this makes it harder for the strut to pull out. If your nailing into end grain as you will be when you are putting in struts on the transition templates slightly blunt the end of the nails , this will help stop them splitting the strut.
    Transition templates should be 12mm shuttering or thicker surface is usually 3 layers of 6mm WBP ply but I suggest you use a 9mm shuttering ply base layer and 9 mm birch ply top layer. WBP ply is generally crap from china these days. Shuttering is cheap and tough but rough and will be harder to bend, as it's the base layer it wont matter that it's rough and a top layer of birch is more expensive but will be smoother and more durable. By using two layers this way it should work out slightly cheaper than three layers of WBP ply. Use a spirit level, measure twice-cut once, cut to the waste side of the line (it's easier to remove a little more wood than to add some) and spend time on getting the coping straight and set right.
    Now go to that website and study it, all the questions you could possibly ask have been answered a heap of times on there. Where do you live BTW??

Advertisement