Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a website (no experience with web design)

Options
  • 30-01-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

I work for a construction company who could really use a website. When I was in college I created a website using a step by step frontpage manual. The website will be fairly basic, just some pictures of previous projects, contacts, satisfied customer recommendations etc.

I just have 2 questions. Do you think someone who has only used frontpage a couple of times (some time ago!) can create a website?

and in terms of hosting. What does this entail. Is it to do with making changes to the website? eg updating or is it to do with your domain address?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh also, anybody know where you can get frontapge cheap?

We could hire someone to do it but money is tight.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wouldn't use Frontpage for a public site......too many non-Microsoft browsers around to risk using a package that isn't standards-compliant.

As for everything else......tough call, but - while I'd admit a vested interest - I definitely wouldn't recommend someone trying to build a commercial/company website as their first project.....it's better to have no site than a bad or amateur-looking one; everyone has to start somewhere, but Roy Keane wasn't a top-class player at his first match either!

Hosting is where the website is put to make sure that it's available 24/7 - at its most basic level, it's a copy of all the files that you created, copied onto a hosting provider's computer that you pay them to leave on all the time with generator backup, etc.

The domain name is then registered to give the world a "signpost" to your website on that hosting.....technically, they're separate - as most computers on the net are just IP addresses like 216.239.59.104 (which is www.google.ie) - but the signpost is fairly essential; think of it like a permanent online "directory enquiries" for your phone number based on a name of your choosing.....you type in the name and the web does the rest....and there's no point having the number if no-one knows whose it is.

If you want to PM me I could have a look at it for you - wouldn't be free, but I'd see what I could do if your budget is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I guess the short answer is Yes someone who has used FrontPage can create a website. Just look at the tools Blacknight offer from all their hosting packages.

Does it mean the site will be good and generate revenue for you? no and unlikely.

If you want your site to be a success and add value to your company, hire a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Another declaration of bias but I would totally agree with the previous posters - many companies in the mid to late 90's tried to do this in-house (which in fairness was understandable given the outrageous fees web design/development agencies were demanding at the time) but eventually realised that their sites were providing no return on investment as very few if any people were finding them and those who did were given a poor impression of the company due to the amateurishness of the sites.

Nowadays you can find great value in web design/development and you may also wish to investigate albeit, the limited funding available out there - for instance the Enterprise Boards in some regions will pony up for half the cost.

If you do decide to bring someone in, you should look for a decent portfolio that displays both good design/development skills, shows good web standards compliance, with a proven track record of getting sites ranked well in the search engines and with verifiable testimonials from current clients. Work out a fully documented specification document covering the site structure, content, look & feel etc and negotiate a contract with them covering build fees, licensing, copyright and maintenance.

Best of luck with the project!

Advertisement