Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis/Magic/Practice Group???

Options
  • 30-01-2009 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Alright lads,

New to hypnosis, been glued to books about it inductions, rapid inductions and all the malarchy, deeply interested in the area of magic through hypnosis.

So, none of the lads care to care or are scared of being hypnotised so I havent really been able to practice AT ALL. Anyone any ideas on, or would like to get involved in a Hypnosis/Magic/Idea sharing group in Dublin?

Hopefully some of yis want to hone those skills of yours through idea exchanging and practice so lash the ideas in here and we'll try and get something going,

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

every now and then some of the guys on here meet up. Have a look through the forum and you'll find threads on it. I know a few of us also have an interest in hypnosis.

I'm out for the next 10 weeks with a crazy busy life but after that I might be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ryanzo wrote: »
    Alright lads,

New to hypnosis, been glued to books about it inductions, rapid inductions and all the malarchy, deeply interested in the area of magic through hypnosis.

So, none of the lads care to care or are scared of being hypnotised so I havent really been able to practice AT ALL. Anyone any ideas on, or would like to get involved in a Hypnosis/Magic/Idea sharing group in Dublin?

Hopefully some of yis want to hone those skills of yours through idea exchanging and practice so lash the ideas in here and we'll try and get something going,

Cheers.

Have you got this? Due to the nature of hypnosis, I question the effectiveness of 'practice groups'. What I would advise is that you just get people in pubs/work etc. It's all about the confidence.

Looks good il have a go at it. Still interested in the idea of a group meeting, if not just for gaining knowledge on the subject rather than practice???? Even for perfecting certain aspects which couldnt be in certain situations.

Could you shine the light on your experiences of hypnosis? if any, thanks. Just really interested in the performing aspect.

• Advertisement

I have done it a few times when I was just doing general magic. It was really 'just to see if I could'. Out of maybe eight or ten attempts I have had 4 successes.

Cool, do you have that book yourself? Possible to get a copy from you? PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Get it off Anthony, he's great to deal with. I think I posted my video in the public area... I have had a lot of success with hypnosis, two failures from maybe 35 tries. I'm with Ian on this one, hypnosis circle jerks are not going to do much for you. All it takes is the balls that when you're in your local that you hypnotize people, it's all you can do.

Anthony's book is awesome, it is just seriously seriously great. He's an amazing guy and I cannot recommend his book enough.

Ok how do i go about getting it off him? Yeah seen the video good job man. Yeah none the lads trust me to do it dats wat i mean lik im a bit of a messer so if i try and be serious il just get the laughs!!!!

Have u tried the indirect hypnosis? How did that go if u did? and did it go about undetected????

Indirect hypnosis? If by that you mean NLP, then no. I use some suggestion but nothing I would classify as hypnosis. It doesn't have to be on your mates. Strangers often are much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Is it possible to get this book in bookshops in Ireland??

No only directly of Anthony. http://www.anthonyjacquin.com/products.html

??? wrote: »
    Indirect hypnosis? If by that you mean NLP, then no. I use some suggestion but nothing I would classify as hypnosis. It doesn't have to be on your mates. Strangers often are much easier.

Strangers are almost always easier IMO. Part of hypnosis is roleplay essentially. And a friend is unlikely to be able to take you seriously enough as 'The Hypnotist'. Someone you have never met before however, has no reason to doubt you.

No i dont man nlp i mean hypnotising conversationally without telling them they are being hypnotised.

The big thing that hypnotism requires to work is for them to think they are being hypnotised and to believe you are capable of it. That is the reason set pieces that have a physiological component as well as a psychological component work so well. Once they are convinced that you are 'The Hypnotist' it will work, you also have to have brass balls and total confidence in it working in order for them to accept it.

In order for hypnotism to work the mark has to buy in and commit fully to the system. You can't hypnotise someone who doesn't want to be hypnotised as they won't commit fully to it. The reason friends are difficult is entirely due to their inability to see you as The Hypnotist. Anyone who has seen you fail dismally at chatting up a girl is not going to buy in to the system very easily! However once you hypnotise someone in front of them they become much more plastic (in-joke!!!)

So to actually answer the question no I haven't because I do not believe it can be done. Certainly my experience and understanding of hypnosis is such that anything you do in standard conversation is manipulation and direction which I have done (shape tests, other priming mental effects) is very far from the cataleptic movements that are accomplished with hypnosis.

P.S. If you intend to mention a red bicycle please slap yourself.

Haha no none of that derren brown shi*e!!! Thanks for the info, im an nlp practitioner, so i know all about that craic. Just really interested in the hypnosis side of things at the moment, thanks for your help man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

OK....I'm a professionally trained and qualified clinical hypnotherapist. Firstly, hypnosis is NOT magic. Some of the conversation on this thread was absolute nonsense. Some was correct. As a general rule, people who are not willing to be hypnotised cannot be hypnotised at that time. But everyone can be hypnotised as it is a completely natural state. We all go in and out of hypnosis on a daily basis. For example; you're driving home from work and minding your own business. Suddenly, you snap out of what you can only describe as a trance or day dream and you are almost home. You can't remember the previous 5 or 10 miles of the journey. This is typically called "highway hypnosis" and we all get it. Our sub-conscious mind (memory and habits) takes over and does the driving for us because we have made that journey time and time again.

A professional hypnotist will usually not entertain your requests for information because most people do not understand hypnosis. You should visit the IHR for information on Hypnosis. If you're really interested in learning...you can find a link to train as a Hypnotist with a hypnosis academy which begins every September. Hope this is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

goz83 wrote: »
    OK....I'm a professionally trained and qualified clinical hypnotherapist. Firstly, hypnosis is NOT magic. Some of the conversation on this thread was absolute nonsense. Some was correct. As a general rule, people who are not willing to be hypnotised cannot be hypnotised at that time. But everyone can be hypnotised as it is a completely natural state. We all go in and out of hypnosis on a daily basis. For example; you're driving home from work and minding your own business. Suddenly, you snap out of what you can only describe as a trance or day dream and you are almost home. You can't remember the previous 5 or 10 miles of the journey. This is typically called "highway hypnosis" and we all get it. Our sub-conscious mind (memory and habits) takes over and does the driving for us because we have made that journey time and time again.

A professional hypnotist will usually not entertain your requests for information because most people do not understand hypnosis. You should visit the IHR for information on Hypnosis. If you're really interested in learning...you can find a link to train as a Hypnotist with a hypnosis academy which begins every September. Hope this is helpful.

Im afraid Hypnotherapy, and hypnosis are two very different things, I am studying both.
    Also, The OP is asking for performance Hypnosis training, of which there is no better coach than Anthony IMO. A hynotherapy course would be of no use to him. Again, coming from studying both.

Hope THIS is helpful.

EDIT: Also, forgot the main point. nobody claimed hypnosis WAS magic. There is no such thing as "magic". We are illusionists and Magicians. The OP merely asked about the performance of "magic" through hypnosis. This is where the Performer makes use of the hypnotic state to enhance an effect, or to even convince a subject of something untrue, or to create a dual reality.

Please feel free to look around the forum and understand where we're coming from. Our particular work with hypnosis is very far attached from hypnotherapy.

As has been said before, much of stage hypnotism has to do with the fact you are putting them on the spot and forcing something on them. If they fail to comply they will be embarrassed and feel bad for you. It's not particularly kind but if they buy into it and let their inhibitions go then they'll have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee

??? wrote: »
    As has been said before, much of stage hypnotism has to do with the fact you are putting them on the spot and forcing something on them. If they fail to comply they will be embarrassed and feel bad for you. It's not particularly kind but if they buy into it and let their inhibitions go then they'll have a great time.

Hi there. Nothing could be further from the truth. You cannot force anyone to do anything in a hypnotic trance. For someone to enter trance they need to be comfortable and relaxed. I am just curious why you would want to hypnotise someone without their knowledge?

Hypnosis is a naturally occuring phenomenon. Inducing trance state is an art form. You need to find out as much as possible. read,read, read. Then when you have the information you will have the 'paint and the canvas.' How you apply the paint will determine what the 'picture' will look like.

Firstly I would recommend that one would get training as a hypnotherapist before pursuing a career in stage hypnosis. You need to understand hypnosis in depth to be able to master it effectively. Very few people in the world are both hypnotherapist and stage hypnotist. Some assosiations give stage hypnosis a bashing probably as an ego boost while other more open minded associations embrace hypnosis.

If you are leaning towards stage hypnosis then there are performance skills to develope. It's a long and winding road. You can see and read a little on both areas here http://www.pauldee.com/stage_hypnosis.shtml and you can also access plenty of info on www.ngh.net If I can be of assistance with any specific questions I'd be delighted to give my tuppence worth.

• Advertisement

Sorry I wasn't being clear. My fault. I was being short with the guy posting and wasn't thinking my answer through. I recommend you ignore what I said!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee

Consider it ignored. nevertheless interisting!!!

fun one last weekend, got her under then said "when i touch back of your right hand it will begin to rise" and nothin really happening, just the odd twitch, so i kept at it and at it, still nothing, thought it was a fail, then stood back and realised her left hand was way up in the air at this stage, she'd mixed em up in her mind. awesome :D

got a gig next saturday night at a 30's speakeasy themed party, gonna try find an interesting way of linking it in with the theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishSideOfMoon

Ryanzo wrote: »
    Alright lads,

Cheers.

Hey Ryanzo,
    I know your post is more geared towards getting a group together in Dublin for practice etc, but i thought i might give you a few links to research a guy called Milton Erickson. Anybody in to NLP would be fimilar with him as he was the first or one of the first people that Grindler & Bandler modeled. Below is a link to a website promoting his works and if you go into youtube or googlevideo you'll get a ton of stuff on him incl clips of him in action.

In my humble opinion a truly remarkable man.

http://www.erickson-foundation.org/

Regards,

Shane
    http://irishsideofthemoon.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/IrishSideOfMoon

zuroph wrote: »
    Im afraid Hypnotherapy, and hypnosis are two very different things, I am studying both.
    Also, The OP is asking for performance Hypnosis training, of which there is no better coach than Anthony IMO. A hynotherapy course would be of no use to him. Again, coming from studying both.

Hope THIS is helpful.

EDIT: Also, forgot the main point. nobody claimed hypnosis WAS magic. There is no such thing as "magic". We are illusionists and Magicians. The OP merely asked about the performance of "magic" through hypnosis. This is where the Performer makes use of the hypnotic state to enhance an effect, or to even convince a subject of something untrue, or to create a dual reality.

Please feel free to look around the forum and understand where we're coming from. Our particular work with hypnosis is very far attached from hypnotherapy.

I don't see why you found the need to make negative the information I offered up. I didn't suggest that the OP thought that hypnosis was magic. And yes, stage hypnosis and clinical hypnosis are very different but they both use hypnotic trances to achieve a desired goal. Surely there would be some benefit to studying clinical hypnotherapy even if you wanted to be a stage hypnotist. No? This is why I posted in the forum. But spending a few thousand Euro is not exactly necessary to achieve this. Stephen Brooks offers a free online diploma course on clinical hypnotherapy at http://www.british-hypnosis-research.com/

I haven't looked into this but I heard good things about it. Although I don't think it should be used as the only foundation to someone planning on practising clinically.

Do you see where I was coming from I may not have been clear enough when I posted originally.

I don't see why you found the need to make negative the information I offered up. I didn't suggest that the OP thought that hypnosis was magic. And yes, stage hypnosis and clinical hypnosis are very different but they both use hypnotic trances to achieve a desired goal. Surely there would be some benefit to studying clinical hypnotherapy even if you wanted to be a stage hypnotist. No? This is why I posted in the forum. But spending a few thousand Euro is not exactly necessary to achieve this. Stephen Brooks offers a free online diploma course on clinical hypnotherapy at http://www.british-hypnosis-research.com/

I haven't looked into this but I heard good things about it. Although I don't think it should be used as the only foundation to someone planning on practising clinically.

Do you see where I was coming from I may not have been clear enough when I posted originally.

Im sorry, we've crossed wires somewhere. you specifically said "Hypnosis is NOT magic". I was saying that nobody claimed it to be. Seems we were arguing the same point! :rolleyes:

Hypnosis for stage/street work, the best course I know of is Ant Jacquins. Its a fraction of the price of similar courses run in the US, and with a much better back up system.
    A hypnotherapy course may indeed teach the OP how to hypnotise, but the methods for putting together routines, showmanship, positioning on camera/stage/street, how to draw a crowd, how to overcome noisy areas, this wont be taught in a therapy course, which is why I would much more recommend a specific entertainment course. From here, it is always possible to move onto therapy if interested.
    My problem with some therapy course is, as its unaccredited, many courses are merely been run by unscrupulous people attempting to make the money back that they paid for such a course. A staggering amount of therapists I've talked to dont test their work.
    I wish there was a decent accreditation system in this country, as many people are simply being taught the very basics and being scammed out of their money in what is quite a saturated market.

also, as an aside, I dont really like the driving hypnosis comparison. IMO this isnt hypnosis, and isnt nearly deep enough a trance to be considered so. IMO therapy courses should stop teaching this comparison, as it immediately sets low expectations as to what depth people can be put into a trance.

Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread.
    zuroph wrote: »
    also, as an aside, I dont really like the driving hypnosis comparison. IMO this isnt hypnosis, and isnt nearly deep enough a trance to be considered so. IMO therapy courses should stop teaching this comparison, as it immediately sets low expectations as to what depth people can be put into a trance.

I see where you're coming from with the light trace of driving hypnosis. It can be over used and is not a strong example of hypnotic trance. However, it is a great way to put people at ease and a simple explanation too. Hypnosis is (as i like to explain it) the subconscious taking over from conscious thought. The subconscious is the habitual mind, so the driving explanation holds water because the fact is people do go into these trances on a daily basis and conscious thought takes a back seat. It's better than having people think that the hypnotist is all powerful and can put you under the spell by snapping a finger, :)

and i think we were arguing the same point above. my reference to hypnosis not being magic was in reference to other other threads practically making this claim.

• Advertisement

and i think we were arguing the same point above. my reference to hypnosis not being magic was in reference to other other threads practically making this claim.
    Both points well made.
    I'm currently reading trancework, and i thik i'm understanding the negativity performance hypnosis gets from therapists much more. What i will say though is the main bulk of the book is over 20 years old, and performance hypnosis has changed greatly, and i don't feel we should be all tarred with the same brush. My demos of hypnosis generally happen in a small group and i constantly explain the process to them, and why things occur. I dont mock or ridicule my subjects. If anything, the performances make spectators more willing to try hypnosis, not put them off it. I've never had a shortage of volunteers after one quick demo, and i always leave the person feeling great afterwards.

Advertisement