Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Server for Windows

• 30-01-2009 4:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'm doing a bit of work for a lady down the street helping her out with her computers, fixing a few problems here and there.

They are using a peer to peer network and it's slow and buggy and I'm thinking of installing a server of some kind.

Server 2003 seems very expensive even on ebay and I was wondering are there any other options, 4 computers on xp one laptop on vista. small enough place with good network cabling.

Nice one
    Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why does she need a server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I'm doing a bit of work for a lady down the street helping her out with her computers, fixing a few problems here and there.

They are using a peer to peer network and it's slow and buggy and I'm thinking of installing a server of some kind.

Server 2003 seems very expensive even on ebay and I was wondering are there any other options, 4 computers on xp one laptop on vista. small enough place with good network cabling.

Nice one
    Gary

How about Ubuntu server?

Its free and once its setup - it doesn't really have to be touched (In an average user environment)

Other than that .... I suppose SBS is out of the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

Why does she need a server?

For me it would be the fact that they can log into any computer and have access to their documents etc. etc. Open to other advantages/disadvantages??

Would ubuntu be easy to set up? Does it connect well with windows??

Rookie when it comes to this networking malarky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

For me it would be the fact that they can log into any computer and have access to their documents etc. etc. Open to other advantages/disadvantages??

Rookie when it comes to this networking malarky!
    If your just looking for remote storage there are much easier options like NAS. If your really just looking for an excuse to mess around with servers I'd do it on your own time, they'll only make a fool out of you if you do your experimenting in front of other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ubuntu is easy to install. Setting up Samba is straightforward enough as there is plenty of documentation on how to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

peer to peer is slow and buggy ??

what sort of network ?
    are they at using 100Mb SWITCHES ?

sharing across the network really won't be much faster if you use another version of windows to share files

Windows server really needs someone minding it , it's not an end user solution
    the main advantage is that it can manage passwords centrally, the disadvantage is that if anything happens the server they will call you , with standalone pc's they can muddle through more easily

ScumLord wrote: »
    If your just looking for remote storage there are much easier options like NAS. If your really just looking for an excuse to mess around with servers I'd do it on your own time, they'll only make a fool out of you if you do your experimenting in front of other people.

Ya that's a good point all right, I think the main point is that it would neen maintenance which they won't be getting really, just and in and out fix.

I might just tidy up the usernames and set up a box as a NAS drive? Install a intranet web server on it and the likes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

A workgroup by itself does not necessarily have to be slow and buggy particularly with that few computers. You don't describe the physical topography of it well, how the PC's are connected, so it is hard to suggest things worth trying.

As Capt'n Midnight pointed out, the issue is that even if you do add some kind of NAS or even server then you may still be left with the network issues, though a NAS would take care of your backups and shared storage needs. Depending on the particular needs of the workgroup and their internet connection you could also look at Live Mesh, Syncplicity and/or Google Apps.

First thing I would check is if the PC's are connected through a old hub or a decent router/switch. I've come across quite a few older workgroups running on hubs when a router/switch will give much better performance. Problems can also arise if PC's are competing to be the browse master - only one PC should be set to do this.

I think that you also need to accept that if you do attack this issue for them that they will continue to seek support from you unless what you do ends in complete disaster :D

Bluefrog wrote: »
    A workgroup by itself does not necessarily have to be slow and buggy particularly with that few computers. You don't describe the physical topography of it well, how the PC's are connected, so it is hard to suggest things worth trying.

As Capt'n Midnight pointed out, the issue is that even if you do add some kind of NAS or even server then you may still be left with the network issues, though a NAS would take care of your backups and shared storage needs. Depending on the particular needs of the workgroup and their internet connection you could also look at Live Mesh, Syncplicity and/or Google Apps.

First thing I would check is if the PC's are connected through a old hub or a decent router/switch. I've come across quite a few older workgroups running on hubs when a router/switch will give much better performance. Problems can also arise if PC's are competing to be the browse master - only one PC should be set to do this.

I think that you also need to accept that if you do attack this issue for them that they will continue to seek support from you unless what you do ends in complete disaster :D

The router is only about a year old or so, so think that might be an issue?

What I'm thinking of doing now is setting up a NAS server having one office log in per machine and allow the users separate folders on the NAS server for their own information, maybe even password protect their folders.

Hi Lads,

I've set the P2P network up and everything is hunky dory, a clean version of XP just storing files runs very well.

My issue is this, I'm sharing the computer with 5 other computers throughout the office and doctors use these computers for their patients notes. The problem is that they each have their own login (about 8) and store their files on their own profiles in all of the computers.

What I want to do is give a single login on each computer so 1 - It will allow me to structure their desktop in the best layout possible, 2 - I can back up their folders on the P2P server.

So basically what I was going to do was create a folder for each of the doctors on the server, place it on the desktop of each computer and password protect it so only they and the administrator have access.

My problem is windows won't let you password protect individual folders.
    One solution I had was password protecting word docs in one folder but that's pretty messy and if they change the password etc. I could be in trouble.

Does anyone know of a cheap an easy application for this? Cheap being free :)

Thanks
    Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Does your NAS server not let you set folder permissions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

each Dr has a PC with an account on it

the "server" then needs an account for each Dr
    the trick is that they use the same password on the local machine as on the server

when they change password on the local pc they then use "ctrl alt del" to change password on the other machine - type server in the machine name box

to map a drive from the local pc you would use
    net use X: \\server\share /user:server\Dr
    and IF they have the same user name and password it won't ask them again

and the final bit is you set permissions on folders using server\usernames
    the password is then the one they use to logon to thier machine

long while since I did peer to peer and can't remember if Xp home respects work groups / setting up trusts that work - hence the duplicate passwords

if the Dr's had admin rights on the server they could change paswords more easily but then they could look at the other folder

Ya that might be my only option now from the looks of things, I was hoping to avoid multiple users and passwords as I cant control their desktops and the files they use etc then.

No program out there to password protect a network folder no??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

my 2 cents, if it is doctors and patient notes we are looking at here they should be using a professional solution for something this sensitive.

Advice given already would work fine etc but at the end of the day i would recommend a small business server setup installed and maintained by a professional outfit.

Just my opinion OP, not saying any of the good advice already given isnt worth following.

Well I was thinking of that but it's not really an option for a start up, the costs of the server and software as well as installation and ongoing maintenance costs of the server are just too much. To be honest if the P2P network is secure and only limited users have access then I don't think there is a problem at the moment.

Advertisement