Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend driving instructor please!

• 30-01-2009 11:24am

I know this will probably lead to loads of different replies but it might help me anyway.

Can you recommend a driving instructor for a total beginner (never sat behind the wheel before) and an approximate price for lessons would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would say get on to AJ with Drive-rite! He has a website.

http://www.driverite.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Tom O Mahoney

He is based in Clareview.

This guy will get you to pass your exam, he is excellent.

Oh yeah and he is 40 euro per lesson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

A friend of mine in Shannon recently started giving lessons. He is looking for customers, works through Quantum who are based around Dublin. €35 per lesson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Sean Collopy is the man most definitely to get you to pass your test but if you are a complete beginner most driving instructors should do.

Pat O'Neill is a sound man aswell and he thought me how to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thomond School of Motoring is very good.

Mike's son Keith is running it now. They don't just get you to pass the test, any instructor can do that. They teach you how to drive properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tom O Mahoney

+1 on this guy.
    I've had 3 lessons with him over the last two weeks, and the difference he's made is incredible.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    They don't just get you to pass the test, any instructor can do that. They teach you how to drive properly.

Limerick Dude's post gives the wrong impression, the instructor in question is most definitely focused on getting you to become a good driver, and does not just focus on passing the test.

To be fair, everyone will try and make you pass your test and help you become a better driver, you will just learn habits by yourself! Everyone drives differently, except when they are doing the test and we all drive the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tom O Mahoney

Can vouch for Tom as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 puddin123

Anne Skeehan is very good anyone i know that has had lessons with her passed thier test problem dont know what price she charges but believe me it would be worth it her number
    086-8512909

I will say this once and once only! Women instructors are not as good as the male instructors!

And its not a male/female thing either so dont start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

des bannon 0876957531

is by far the best one out there pased all 4 in my family
    hes amazing!!!!

listen to me!! so nice rea;;y hight pass rate very very good and kind and has sence of humour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

Eamon MacMahon - 0868378701

Very patient and great for beginners (Won't throw you in at the deep end too quick!). Highly recommended. €30 - €35 quid per lesson I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

ninty9er wrote: »
    Thomond School of Motoring is very good.

Mike's son Keith is running it now. They don't just get you to pass the test, any instructor can do that. They teach you how to drive properly.

is this the same place as treaty school of motoring? either way, the problem with them is, they're not listed in golden pages - in fact they can't be found anywhere on the internet...
    but in case anyone is interested, mike's number here: 0872641292

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

electron wrote: »
    is this the same place as treaty school of motoring? either way, the problem with them is, they're not listed in golden pages - in fact they can't be found anywhere on the internet...
    but in case anyone is interested, mike's number here: 0872641292

Treaty is correct...been a while:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Browney7 wrote: »
    Sean Collopy is the man most definitely to get you to pass your test but if you are a complete beginner most driving instructors should do.

Sean Collopy? Big guy with a beard? if its the same
    guy he used to be a Sgt in the FCA about 10 years
    ago and had quite a few peeps say he was good at
    giving driving lessons.

~B

Thanks a mill for all suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tinsop

ger o shea from adare is very good i passed my test in september with him.its o shea school of motering 061396433:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I'd recommend Tom O'Mahony as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Mike Shyne - 0872316010

Great guy & great teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Mike Shyne - 0872316010

Really?

my daughter took two lessons with him & found him a total disaster?

spend most of the time talking on the phone & the rest talking bullsh1t about sport, of which she had no interest.

she found this distracted her concentration

she moved on to a guy one of her friends in college was using and is very pleased with him, Ger ??? can't remember his second name

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mike Shyne - 0872316010

By any chance is this man based in Woodview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aurastar

I know this will probably lead to loads of different replies but it might help me anyway.

Can you recommend a driving instructor for a total beginner (never sat behind the wheel before) and an approximate price for lessons would be great.

Thanks!
    Hi
    Where are you based. I can recommend someone in Meath or Dublin (north/north-west).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cutie_pie

Ray Blake he is excellent i know lots of people who had him and no complaints what so ever really satisified!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

also, it's not a bad idea at all to divide your lessons between 2 different instructors/schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Richard Delaney on the Shelbourne road is also very good. Don't have his number though, sorry.

electron wrote: »
    also, it's not a bad idea at all to divide your lessons between 2 different instructors/schools.

Thanks for that suggestion, would never have thought of it but it probably makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ima lurker

I highly recommend Des Bannon (LTD school of Motoring) based in Raheen, but covers all routes needed for test. Has a huge success rate, both my nino's have used him and passed first time, they have recommended him to loads of their friends who have found him excellent, all of whom have passed so thats a good sign, he goes out of his way to accommodate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I would say get on to AJ with Drive-rite! He has a website.

http://www.driverite.ie/

Stay away from him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I would reccommend a guy called Niall. Not sure of his second name but I have his number if you wnt it.

He is only a young guy, (late 20's), so he is really good with young people.
    I passed with him and my friend passed with him also without ever driving except with him. He didn't even have a car to practise in.

• Advertisement

alan1990 wrote: »
    Stay away from him!!

Why??

Advertisement