Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its not looking good for Ireland

• 30-01-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

3 of our best internationals: Robbie Keane, Damien Duff and Richard Dunne have all hit a huge dip in form and its not good news for the irish team, We have relied on these players for the last 8 years or so and we still need to reply on them in terms of qualification for the next world cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Damien Duff hit a "dip" in form in 2002 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Duffer was our star player in 2002 lets not forget and he's always been great for ireland even when not playing well for his club, he needs to get away from Newcastle ASAP and move to someone like Blackburn, he's still only 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah Robbie Keanes dip is worrying, he played five good games, got dropped played one bad one and got dropped again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    Damien Duff hit a "dip" in form in 2002 tbh.

This kind of 'dip':

ngorongoro-crater.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

5 good games?! do fill me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah Robbie Keanes dip is worrying, he played five good games, got dropped played one bad one and got dropped again.

I think he'll be okay, he's just gettin fcuked about at Liverpool for some reason.

Its Dunne I'd be more concerned about, no confidence in a back four where John O Shea is by far the player with the best form coming up to the Georgia game.

Expect alot from McGeady and Doyle though, we have enough to beat this lot 2-0 or more please God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mr Alan wrote: »

He definitely had 3 good games anyway as far as I remember.

2 good games on the trot. Followed by a stinker at Preston. He was rightfully dropped.

He has played nearly 30 games for Liverpool, hes gotta do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I couldnt believe how bad he was at Preston, just didnt look like a footballer in my opinion,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Man Utd at home
    Both PSV games
    Bolton at home
    West Brom at home

for starters...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

2 good games on the trot. Followed by a stinker at Preston. He was rightfully dropped.

spot on mr a.

as regards the topic, im not too worried. international form and club form are 2 totally different things. prime example - david healy.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Man Utd at home
    Both PSV games
    Bolton at home
    West Brom at home

for starters...

oh i wasnt doubting he didnt have more than 2 good games, was just saying that he hasnt had more than that on the bounce.

i'd say he's had about 7 good games. out of 30 odd appearances, thats not good enough. full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

no way!? :eek: (the 30 games bit, not the gotta do better bit, coz everyone can see thats the case)

keane really is a confidence player....he was idolised at spurs so played very well, with liverpool firstly the manger never wanted him, he was down the pecking order, and wasnt needed like he was at spurs. this, as we can all see, resulted in less game time and shot his confidence so when he did play....the majority of his games he hasnt been great! now im not a pool fan but for irelands sake i really hope he gets some of his confidence back! rafa really needs to trust him, he is a good player!

no way!? :eek: (the 30 games bit, not the gotta do better bit, coz everyone can see thats the case)

keane really is a confidence player....he was idolised at spurs so played very well, with liverpool firstly the manger never wanted him, he was down the pecking order, and wasnt needed like he was at spurs. this, as we can all see, resulted in less game time and shot his confidence so when he did play....the majority of his games he hasnt been great! now im not a pool fan but for irelands sake i really hope he gets some of his confidence back! rafa really needs to trust him, he is a good player!

tbh, why would Rafa give a **** about Ireland.

Keane will regain his form & confidence, when the player he was bought to play alongside, Torres, is back to match fitness.

But the onus is on Robbie to show Rafa he is deserved of a place in the side, not the other way around-too much is on the line for Rafa to be molly coddling Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

This squad is seriously thin on talent. In almost any position, all it takes is a dip in form, an injury, or the coach taking a dislike to a player and we are in trouble. Part of a long-term trend as the game has been changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

tbh, why would Rafa give a **** about Ireland.

Keane will regain his form & confidence, when the player he was bought to play alongside, Torres, is back to match fitness.

But the onus is on Robbie to show Rafa he is deserved of a place in the side, not the other way around-too much is on the line for Rafa to be molly coddling Keane.

agreed but if rafa doesnt give him the chance he'll never be able to prve himself! i know he has 30-odd appearances, but comin on towards the end of games cant help!

but comin on towards the end of games cant help!

thats only happened in a couple of games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Oh look, another bash Rafa/Liverpool/Keane thread. :rolleyes:

*dons tinfoil hat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah he played crap at Preston and was rightly dropped.

Course he played well against Arsenal and Bolton and then was also dropped.

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah he played crap at Preston and was rightly dropped.

Course he played well against Arsenal and Bolton and then was also dropped.

em, the Arsenal & Bolton game were before the Preston game?! and he wasnt dropped after either of them...he was rested after the Bolton game (like a lot of our key players) cause we played Newcastle 2 days later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

On the Plus side, i see Stephen Kelly has moved to Stoke. Regular premeirship football for him so. Thats if he plays.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

seamus coleman on the bench for everton tonight a mere few days after joining. the future is green. deadly full back, the irish cafu you could say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

anladmór wrote: »
    seamus coleman on the bench for everton tonight a mere few days after joining. the future is green. deadly full back, the irish cafu you could say.

jezze didnt know he was on the bench. yea he joined from sligo rovers for 60,000 i think. good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

anladmór wrote: »
    We badly need a left back too. It's good to see a lot of our U21s playing regularly. Nolan at right back is getting games on loan at Preston. Spillane, centre half, has started almost every game on loan at Luton this season. Garvan, McCarthy and O'Toole in midfield are all first teamers at their clubs and all have been linked with premiership moves in recent months. Sheridan has played a bit for Celtic this season and will now get games on loan at Motherwell. And Scannell is starting most games for Palace.

OK it's not the level of the England U21s but in comparison to U21 teams of the past they're pretty experienced. I think all of them have been playing U21 level for a while now which is an advantage over the other international teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't be too worried about Robbie Keane as I don't think he played well for Ireland even when he was doing well for Spurs tbh.

As mentioned earlier Dunne is the big problem, but hopefully he doesn't carry his club form to international duty with him...

Advertisement