Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resident Evil demo boring ?

• 30-01-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Anyone find the demo boring, as I sure did. Plus very clunky controls, corpses which dissapear, poor blood effects, screen tearing, and a lot of texure shimmering/crawl. I think they should have went back to the mansion myself. Still think the Gamecube remake of the original is the best. Based on this demo, don't think I will be buying it and be going for Fear instead.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea didn't think it was good myself..
    weird aiming on the gun... kinda slowto move around too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Yes, agree completely. It just didn't feel right. I was expecting the magic of RE4 when you first enter the town and the locals are coming at you from everywhere – it was very menacing. With this version it just felt by-the-numbers.

I can't put my finger on why it's not as good – it's subtle but noticeable. Maybe they tried too hard to stick with the same formula when they should have advanced it along.

That said, I'll probably pick it up (through play asia if it's region friendly) if it has longevity and interesting surprises. RE4 packed in so much game (generous main game, extra chapter and the time attack mini game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I did not think it was boring.

I never played 4 (I know I know) but I found the character speed and control in this demo to be woeful.

Combine the tight slummish streets in the demo with a slow, clumsy character and it is frustrating.

I would not buy the game based on the demo no matter how fun it is to blast zombies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Yeah RE4 was great, though still love RE1 on the Cube. The RE5 demo played terrible...bad guys coming at you, blow them away, more bad guys come at you, and then a boss...i just found it boring/repititive and the poor controls made it worse. And what's up with the inventory system. Terrible. Also surprised that they didn't iron our the tearing and texture issues. Then again it's only a demo. When is it out in the shops ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Yep, didn't think too much of it although I am sure it will sell by the bucketload. Fear 2 FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Flaccus wrote: »
    Yeah RE4 was great, though still love RE1 on the Cube. The RE5 demo played terrible...bad guys coming at you, blow them away, more bad guys come at you, and then a boss...i just found it boring/repititive and the poor controls made it worse. And what's up with the inventory system. Terrible. Also surprised that they didn't iron our the tearing and texture issues. Then again it's only a demo. When is it out in the shops ?

13th of March, 2009.

I guess the demo wasn't AMAZING, the levels were slightly boring, It was fairly short. The controls weren't the worst thing ever, I found them quite similar to RE4 if not identical.

We can all hate on the game when it's released. :pac:

Thing is, a good demo can guarantee more people will buy the game when it's released, even people that may not normally be interested in such genres. Happened to me with Pure. Thought it would be something like Motorstorm which I didn't care for, but was wrong and ended up buying it. I'll probably buy Fear 2 as well. All because of the quality of the demo. Still, I have enough to keep me going. Haven't finished Gears2,Fallout3,Deadspace,Prince of Persia,COD5 :eek: Keep hopping from game to game. It's actually becoming stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I take it this game will move even further away from the puzzle solving that was so connected to the franchise?! :rolleyes: Still cant wait to get this game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

For me it will depend on what games are out around the same time and if i am still playing killzone or not. I have tons of games still to finish so i have told myself not to buy anymore untill ive them finished ive about 15 games not completed yet includign mass effect and fallout gears 2 and fable 2 so i think i have more than enough to keep me going.

Plus i bloody hate end of level bosses they allways ruin games for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plus i bloody hate end of level bosses they allways ruin games for me

Only if they are done badly and totally out of context with the rest of the game, ala Gears of War 2. Resident Evil games always had superb bosses that were the highlight of the game especially the bosses in Resident Evil 4 which were amazing. Capcom know how to do bosses and know how to do them well.

Still a bit worried about the game since I saw my friend play it (although he was utterly **** at it) and the fact that Shinji Mikami isn't at the helm of this one. I'm hoping the demo isn't a refelection on the game as a whole since it seemed like Resident Evil 4 by the numbers, whereas in Resident Evil 4 every area was a set piece that played differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Yeah it didn't *feel* right. But splitscreen co-op alone means it's an instant purchase for me. And the fact that it has Resident Evil in the title and isn't a lightgun shooter :D

Anyone see Resident Evil: Degeneration yet? I thought it was no classic but easily the best Resident Evil film ever made, purely because it was competant and not so-bad-it's-funny. Plus the CGI was gorgeous! Just kept thinking that this is what Resi 7 on the Xbox 1080 will look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Thought the controls were awful and the charactar moved like a tank. Wont be buying it on the basis of the demo anyway. No wonder its less than €40 to preorder on sendit.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Wow, I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who loved the demo! It's me versus the world, again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mr. K wrote: »
    Wow, I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who loved the demo! It's me versus the world, again...

It's alright, homie, I'm with you. I think this thread is chock full of crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mr. K wrote: »

I liked it....But I had a pretty good teammate :D

🤪

koneko wrote: »
    It's alright, homie, I'm with you. I think this thread is chock full of crazy.

That's 2 of you so versus the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Just finished playing the demo and I thought it was awful. The controls are all over the place, the camera is too close, you seem to swing around every time you turn, half the time I couldn't see anything.

really disappointed, felt like playing Res 4 half drunk with my fingers stuck in treacle

really hope the sort out the problems before release, but my main complaint was the camera position behind you (too close over sholder, can't see what is happening) and it is far too late in development to change that

definitely going to wait till I see reviews with this one, hoping Resident Evil doesn't turn into its own version of Star Trek (odd bad, even good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

Must say that I was not impressed with the demo. Well it looks great and runs great but the controls make me almost break my fingers when i try to do something. Still looking forward to the full game but not as much as I was before playing the demo (unfortunately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Didn't actually bother finishing the demo, just played enough of it to work out that the feel of the controls haven't changed significantly from 4, and it still rocks!
    I want the full game to feel nice and fresh on my first playthrough, so I'm now ignoring any new media for the game...
    I'd imagine I'll end up changing to the Resi4 control scheme though, the new one felt a little odd and unnecessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just played it for the first time day. Graphically it looks amazing. Gameplay is crap tho. Awful controls, it felt like i was using a JCB!

I bet the game gets really boring too, i would agree with the OP based on what Ive seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Agreed the controls are very laboured the camera looked off somewhat so you have to target to the right of center nearly. Resi 4 is a hard one to beat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i liked the demo (it wasnt perfect) but i still liked it, i will definatly be buying it, ive been waiting too long for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I'm a huge fan of the series and Resi 4 in particular but I found the demo to be absolutely terrible.

It looks terrific but the tank controls are very clunky and prove no match for the significant increase in zombies. Also I hate that its tailored for co-op as cpu sheva kept blocking my path making the game even harder to control.

Shooting feels very sluggish even after adjusting to the faster speed in options.

I understand the need for disabling a paused inventory system during co-op but there's no need for this in single player mode and that is probably my biggest gripe.

After playing the demo I've gone from a Day 1 purchase to waiting for the price to drop or a patch that fixes the issues that many people seem to have.

Doesn't feel like Resident Evil anymore. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Terminator wrote: »

Doesn't feel like Resident Evil anymore. :(

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i hate when people say stuff like Gears of war 2 was more like gears of war 1.5 (namely because it wasnt), but the RE5 demo really felt like it was jsut RE4.5. The only thing thats changed is the graphics. They look fantastic but the game palys exactly, exactly like RE4, right down to the 4 year old control scheme. I had a game of Gears 2 yesterday and it really rammed home just how bad the controls in RE5 are compared to Gears. Its like capcom didnt pay any attention to any other 3rd person action games of the last 4 years. Add the retarded AI on sheva into the mix and it really is a massive disappointment. Im actually still pissed that theyve made a resident evil based around co-op play for a start, that flies in the face of everything that RE was about.

0ubliette wrote: »
    i hate when people say stuff like Gears of war 2 was more like gears of war 1.5 (namely because it wasnt), but the RE5 demo really felt like it was jsut RE4.5. The only thing thats changed is the graphics. They look fantastic but the game palys exactly, exactly like RE4, right down to the 4 year old control scheme. I had a game of Gears 2 yesterday and it really rammed home just how bad the controls in RE5 are compared to Gears. Its like capcom didnt pay any attention to any other 3rd person action games of the last 4 years. Add the retarded AI on sheva into the mix and it really is a massive disappointment. Im actually still pissed that theyve made a resident evil based around co-op play for a start, that flies in the face of everything that RE was about.

RE4 was far better than this carnation. (IMO)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally gave this a go. Can't see what the fuss is about the controls. It's exactly like Reisdent Evil 4 which just happened to be the best damn action game I've played in the last ages. I can safely say that my friend who I watched playing this is absolutely horrendous at it.

I do have worries though. I got sick of Sheva getting chainsawed because of the stupid AI and the rifle is fairly gack at taking out the chainsaw guys, a better weapon would have been less frustrating. Not really liking the limited inventory and the fact you can't pause the game to get into it. Overall it feels like Resident Evil 4. Just hope the scenarios are better in the full game. If so it will be a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Finally gave this a go. Can't see what the fuss is about the controls. It's exactly like Reisdent Evil 4 which just happened to be the best damn action game I've played in the last ages. I can safely say that my friend who I watched playing this is absolutely horrendous at it.

Again having not played 4 (watched a lot of it via Burning Eclipse and I living together at the time it was released) I'd like to explain. Its not the button layout I had a problem with but the fact the user controlled characters move way too slowly. Their movement style and speed does not suit the pace of the game (feel the same about GoW, over reliance on a good cover system to make up for agricultural like agility) nor the environment (tight buildings with multiple entries and lane ways of shanty towns).

I felt frustrated by them while playing it, the characters feel like they're planted in treacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I could forgive the poor controls, if the enemy movement had been improved. They still have them running up to you. stopping. walking the last couple of feet towards you. This kills the feeling of urgency and terror. It's a constant reminder "this is just a game, don't worry, the zombies only seem to be overwhelming you".

Maybe I've been spoilt by Left 4 Dead.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    Again having not played 4 (watched a lot of it via Burning Eclipse and I living together at the time it was released) I'd like to explain. Its not the button layout I had a problem with but the fact the user controlled characters move way too slowly. Their movement style and speed does not suit the pace of the game (feel the same about GoW, over reliance on a good cover system to make up for agricultural like agility) nor the environment (tight buildings with multiple entries and lane ways of shanty towns).

I felt frustrated by them while playing it, the characters feel like they're planted in treacle.

Well the controls are what makes the game. The tight corridors and slow stiff controls mean you are never truly safe and leads to a lot of panic. If you were running around bunny hopping al over the shop like Quake 3 it would be just stupid. At the end of the day it's still trying to be a horror game. If you felt too safe because you could easy circle strafe the dumb enemies there would be no point to the game.

I'll admit that the demo areas didn't show this off very well but it worked so well in Resi 4, it really was an amazing game. I really just hope they concentrate on making it just as good as a single player experience and not pander to the online crowd. I'd probably be happier if it wasn't touting online co-op as a big feature.

Advertisement