Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resident Evil demo boring ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really just hope they concentrate on making it just as good as a single player experience and not pander to the online crowd. I'd probably be happier if it wasn't touting online co-op as a big feature.

Yeah, IMO they could drop online co-op completely and I'd be happy if it was even almost as good as RE4 in single player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Wicknight wrote: »
    really hope the sort out the problems before release, but my main complaint was the camera position behind you (too close over sholder, can't see what is happening) and it is far too late in development to change that

I don't think its too late to change camera position for final release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

At the end of the day it's still trying to be a horror game. If you felt too safe because you could easy circle strafe the dumb enemies there would be no point to the game.

I think Dead Space proved that doesn't have to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well the controls are what makes the game. The tight corridors and slow stiff controls mean you are never truly safe and leads to a lot of panic.

That's a cop out for me I'm afraid. That is no reason that the character movement could not be more fluid and speedy. You can still have tension and drama with tight controls. They are not mutually exclusive.

Sure slow controls add to the tension, you're not wrong there. Its for the wrong reasons though, you end up shouting at the telly "Move you stupid cnut you're meant to be some sort of hot shot, my granny could turn faster, you prick" (Or is that just me :o )
    If you were running around bunny hopping al over the shop like Quake 3 it would be just stupid. At the end of the day it's still trying to be a horror game. If you felt too safe because you could easy circle strafe the dumb enemies there would be no point to the game.

Ah come on, you know their is a happy medium between "I'm slightly retarded and move like a geriatric" and rocket jumping.

Am I missing some part of the back storey, have the two main characters become slightly undead and therefore move at sub human speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

It's Resi 4 in HD and with Co-op. There were never going to be any major changes to the formula for this installment as (I'm guessing) they want to show this one can sell well on the new consoles and besides the aul zombie cow can stand another milking on these greener pastures.

Besides if there's some nice cheesey dialogue in the cut scenes and some throwback to Chris' blood from the first game then it has just enough awesome sauce smothered on top to be game of the year. Until the November glut occurs at least.
    Vegeta: Am I missing some part of the back storey, have the two main characters become slightly undead and therefore move at sub human speed?

Maybe it was his blood all along! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Otacon wrote: »
    I think Dead Space proved that doesn't have to be the case.

Ah come on, dead space was exactly the same. It even had the same controls and camera as Resi 4. even though you could move and fire it was useless because you were so slow. Also you are never really overwhelmed in Dead Space and overall the game was far too easy.

Ah come on, dead space was exactly the same. It even had the same controls and camera as Resi 4. even though you could move and fire it was useless because you were so slow. Also you are never really overwhelmed in Dead Space and overall the game was far too easy.

Dead Space has the same controls as RE4, a better camera than RE5, You are slightly slower but then again you are wearing armour and as for it being easy, thats only if you play it on easy.

RE5 is a four year old game, with shiny graphics.

BTW I loved RE4 too but time goes by and games (should) progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

grizzly wrote: »
    They still have them running up to you. stopping. walking the last couple of feet towards you.

I suspect the difficulty has been toned down for the demo. It's particularly striking with the chainsaw guy in the demo, he stops in front of you and gives you a chance. In 4, they don't hesitate. If they get close, you're dead.

The clunky controls are gonna be an issue for many players, but it's kind of a series staple. They really force you to play well in order to survive. A good player can make the gameplay look pretty slick, like most Capcom games.

Many Capcom games seem tailored for the hardcore crowd, those willing to learn an awkward system. Just look at Devil May Cry and (the most extreme example) Mega Man 9! Both stupidly difficult, but rewarding to the player willing to invest (serious) time.

Of course, if the full game is as easy as the demo...then there will be anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

What about the vsync issues, texture shimmering, and terrible aliasing. I think the game looks pants over these issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Flaccus wrote: »
    What about the vsync issues, texture shimmering, and terrible aliasing. I think the game looks pants over these issues.

Nitpicking surely. Is there any game that pushes the current consoles and doesn't have these issues? Think the game is gorgeous looking myself.

Can't see why there is so much hatred for this game and praise for Dead Space. Dead Space is a blatant rip off of Resident Evil 4's controls.

I'm hoping the game is tough as well. Capcom seem to be one of the few companies that actually makes challenging games still. Haven't much of a problem with the controls. It's a little more tactical than most games. You have to choose when to shoot but this means you have to stand still and leave yourself open or choose to run to a safer position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Didn't like it myself either, then again wouldn't be a huge Ressy evil fan anyways, but did seem far too hard to play tbh, Res Evil 4 wasnt as bad...
    Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll like it, but i just dont think i will be able to get over the fact that i have to go back to playing a resi game with a normal joypad. I only played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, and its controls are just so, so, so superior to using a joypad, its not even funny.

2 player co-op will hopefully make up for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Nitpicking surely. Is there any game that pushes the current consoles and doesn't have these issues? Think the game is gorgeous looking myself.

Can't see why there is so much hatred for this game and praise for Dead Space. Dead Space is a blatant rip off of Resident Evil 4's controls.

not really. dead space, gears1 and 2, halo3, prince of persia, cod4 and 5 etc.. did not have any serious vsync issues and the bloody floor and wall textures didn't move all by themselves. i expected more from the demo.

i think the camera/players view in dead space feels miles better also and the atmosphere in dead space was spot on.

But Dead Space does it better, and it should, as it has come out after. I am not trying to take anything away from RE4, it was excellent, but it has been four years, and I think some progression may have been in order.
    I'm hoping the game is tough as well. Capcom seem to be one of the few companies that actually makes challenging games still.

I fully respect Capcom for this. DMC and MM9 wouldn't be as good if they were easier.
    Haven't much of a problem with the controls. It's a little more tactical than most games. You have to choose when to shoot but this means you have to stand still and leave yourself open or choose to run to a safer position.

Again, Dead Space creates this tension without having to restrict your movements. I just feel RE5 would be better with this addition. My €0.02

Flaccus wrote: »
    not really. dead space, gears1 and 2, halo3, prince of persia, cod4 and 5 etc.. did not have any serious vsync issues and the bloody floor and wall textures didn't move all by themselves. i expected more from the demo.

Well I'd say the technical problems will be ironed out by release. The demo is just the demo that was used last summer at the game conventions which was a long time ago.
    But Dead Space does it better, and it should, as it has come out after. I am not trying to take anything away from RE4, it was excellent, but it has been four years, and I think some progression may have been in order.

I still much prefer Resi 4 to dead space, although I still think dead space is great. I found the combat in dead space got boring after awhile though with the same enemies while Resi 4 kept mixing it up with new enemies and wonderful level design and bosses. I'm hoping Resi 5 can match it.

People complain that Resi 4 is very different from the other games but to be honest ever since Resi 2 it has been more an action game than a survival horror. Only in the early parts of that game did I have ammo problems and it's the same with the rest of the series other than the first and REmake.

I'm doing a lot of Resi 5 defending here but I was a little disappointed by the demo. As a sequel to resident evil 4 i expected to be blown away but wasn't, it felt like resident evil 4 lite. I'm just hoping the finished game has the set pieces that made Resi 4 so great and gives us a shotgun to take out the chainsaw freaks and not a bloody rifle!

Kiith wrote: »
    I only played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, and its controls are just so, so, so superior to using a joypad, its not even funny.

I agree, the Wii version was by far the best. I played the GC version to death, but the Wii controls were so much better.

People keep mentioning Dead Space. I intend to play the game at some stage, but I wasn't overly fond of the demo. And the trailers make it look like a cross between Event Horizon and Resident Evil. A friend got me to watch Event Horizon as a kid...I haven't looked at
    Sam Neill
    the same since...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Just reading throught this thread and I keep asking myself did you all expect a demo to be a perfect representation of what the game is going to be. Did you all expect there to be no bugs in an unfinished product. I also don't understand all people complaining about the controls and the sying that RE4 was better, it's the same control system for the most part. Then you have people who complain that resi has changed too much that it's not like it was I guarantee that alot of these people would complain if they never changed a thing over the years because it would be boring and just be the same game over and over. No matter what capcom do with this game there are going to be those people who just need somthing to nit pick.

Mr. K wrote: »
    People keep mentioning Dead Space. I intend to play the game at some stage, but I wasn't overly fond of the demo. And the trailers make it look like a cross between Event Horizon and Resident Evil. A friend got me to watch Event Horizon as a kid...I haven't looked at
    Sam Neill
    the same since...

Get Dead Space. It's really good, surprisingly so. It's a bit system shock 2 mixed with Resi 4 although it's unfortunately not as clever as SS2. Demo is really bad and not a patch on the full game.

Have to admit I'm trusting demo's a lot less nowadays. Just look at the Valkyria Chronicles one. It's decent enough and gives you an overview of how the game is played but the full game is so much better and epic, it wasn't even a taster for it.

Off topic but after watching event horizon again I thought it was a really poor film.

I still much prefer Resi 4 to dead space, although I still think dead space is great. I found the combat in dead space got boring after awhile though with the same enemies while Resi 4 kept mixing it up with new enemies and wonderful level design and bosses. I'm hoping Resi 5 can match it.

People complain that Resi 4 is very different from the other games but to be honest ever since Resi 2 it has been more an action game than a survival horror. Only in the early parts of that game did I have ammo problems and it's the same with the rest of the series other than the first and REmake.

Again, I am not attacking RE4. For its time, it was and still is an awesome game. It's RE5 I have the issue with. Dead Space has proved that the stop and shoot method is not the only way of building panic and tension. RE5 should have progressed from RE4, which is a four year old game now.

While I agree the enemies in DS could have used some variety, the different situations and environments you met them in slightly made up for that.
    I'm doing a lot of Resi 5 defending here but I was a little disappointed by the demo. As a sequel to resident evil 4 i expected to be blown away but wasn't, it felt like resident evil 4 lite. I'm just hoping the finished game has the set pieces that made Resi 4 so great and gives us a shotgun to take out the chainsaw freaks and not a bloody rifle!

I am sure those issues will be ironed out before release. As I said, it is the control system I have an issue with. I am sure I read somewhere that they were going to allow 'move and shoot' in RE5...

I am sure I read somewhere that they were going to allow 'move and shoot' in RE5...

Capcom keep saying they are going to implement it. It's probably not in the demo because it's the old one from ages ago before people started complaing that they couldn't move and shoot.

• Advertisement

Capcom keep saying they are going to implement it. It's probably not in the demo because it's the old one from ages ago before people started complaing that they couldn't move and shoot.

If this is the case, I may rent the game and see whats changed, then make up my mind.

Your not supposed to be able to move and shoot in RE though. Isn't that the point?

thebman wrote: »
    Your not supposed to be able to move and shoot in RE though. Isn't that the point?

Oh, I didn't realise RE was set in a world where doing two things at once is impossible.

RE4 used the technique to instill panic and tension into the game, and it worked beautifully. GOW2 and Dead Space proved that that was not the only way of doing this. RE5 has not evolved from 4 as, IMO, it should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

As far as I am aware there will be a choice of control options.Classic which won't have the move and shoot function and there will be a new setting which will.

I'll be playing classic, feet rooted to the ground style all the way. It's much more realistic anyway :)

Honestly I'm a little worried this game won't live up to Resi 4 and the demo hasn't alleviated it. I really hate the inventory system. Organising the inventory in Resi 4 appealed to my OCD and it was like a little minigame for me :)

I didn't really look forward to Resi 4 either so hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised by this as well.

Indie18 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware there will be a choice of control options.Classic which won't have the move and shoot function and there will be a new setting which will.

I guess we were wrong.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/02/confirmed-no-run-and-gun-in-resident-evil-5-ever/

Won't be getting this then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'll be playing classic, feet rooted to the ground style all the way. It's much more realistic anyway :)

Honestly I'm a little worried this game won't live up to Resi 4 and the demo hasn't alleviated it. I really hate the inventory system. Organising the inventory in Resi 4 appealed to my OCD and it was like a little minigame for me :)

I didn't really look forward to Resi 4 either so hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised by this as well.

Classic is the only way!! I said this in the Resident Evil forum, acheivements should only unlock if you're using classic controls.

Also, this game won't live up to Resident Evil 4. It just won't! 4 was a reinvention that this can never be, but that doesn't mean it can't be brilliant!

Personally, I like the inventory... only wish the game paused when you entered it is all!

Oh, I didn't realise RE was set in a world where doing two things at once is impossible.

RE4 used the technique to instill panic and tension into the game, and it worked beautifully. GOW2 and Dead Space proved that that was not the only way of doing this. RE5 has not evolved from 4 as, IMO, it should have.

Shooting accurately and running around at the same time isn't possible though.

I thought that was the justification for it. They should have stuck with it IMO. It was weird at first but once you got used to it, it felt right and was a lot of fun.

It would be nice if the game paused when you went into the inventory. It could be argued that it's more realistic if it doesn't though. I wish they'd change the icons for the herbs, I don't wanna waste time highlighting an unmixed red herb!

• Advertisement
Advertisement